Diving...

clipsie

Can someone tell me of a good dive company to use other than the cruise line's Dive Safari? I wanted to see if there was any other company to use besides them. Does anyone know of any? And, has anyone done any diving in St. Marten? I read the one review down below and it did not sound very good, but I am willing to take a chance, yet I know the ship excursions are usually not as good as doing an independent one, also cheaper to it independently.

Thanks

I am not a diver...I am a hard core snorkeler. However, I have contacted some of the dive shops on St. Martin/Maarten to get an idea of where the best snorkeling is.

Many of the dive companies I e-mailed replied that they go diving at Saba or off on some other island near St. Maarten becauwe the diving is not so good. There is one dive off the coast of St. Maarten. I did a Google search and found several dive companies that way.

Is your cruise going to St. Thomas? That is where you should focus your dive efforts. Is your cruise an eastern or southern Caribbean? Most eastern Caribbean cruises have very limited snorkel/dive opportunities - great beaches however. The southern and western Caribbean have many more dive options. For example, the Carnival Valor will be going to Grand Caymen, Cozumel, Belize and Roatan - this is a divers dream itin.

Hope this helps

Thank you lacruisecat.... I have heard others say the diving is "not so great" in St. Martin, however, we are doing a sailboat cruise in St. Thomas on an independent tour. We have been diving in Cozumel and snorkeling in Belize (THE MOST BEAUTIFUL PLACE THUS FAR). I could not coordinate a dive trip in Belize, but the snorkeling is to die for!!! I will keep my eyes open for a dive facility, or be stuck with the cruiseline tour, which I hate to do.

Hey lacruisecat,
I'm a hardcore snorkeler too! I heard Pinel Island is about as good as it gets for snorkeling in St Martin. What have you heard/found/experienced? I wanted to snuba here, but the company won't return emails. Another cruiser who is going very soon tried 15 emails with no results. Based on that kind of business savvy, I'll snuba at Trunk Bay instead!
When are going to St Martin & St Thomas/John? On what ship? Any personal input always helps.
Thanks

Snorkelcat
Zuiderdam 2/03
Radiance 2/04
Caribbean 1/05

Archived