Comparison between Whisper and Seabourn Odyssey/Sojourn?

AllisonJames

Hi all, can anyone provide me with a comparison between the Whisper and the new larger SB ships? Recently returned from a Whisper cruise, our first SS experience, previously sailed on the SB Legend, one of the smaller triplets. Loved the size and amenities of the Whisper so don't think we'd sail again on the SB triplets but it's been suggested we might like the larger SB ships as they are not that much larger in size than Whisper. Overall we found SB and SS food and service to be comparable so wouldn't rule out going back and forth between them depending on itinerary, ship, etc. Also not that anxious to jump up to something the size of the Spirit. Your opinions would be very helpful, thanks!

i had avery bad experience on the Odyssey in october last year

mostly due to hefty cut backs in the food and beverage department including the closing of the main dining room for breakfast and lunch , so i was forced to eat buffet style or "hamburger" style on open deck:mad:

We heard about that when we were on the Seabourn Spirit in October. Many people did not prebook because of that news. We also heard from fellow cruisers that the staff was not as attentive. The triplets still open the dining room. We decided against switching to the newer larger ships and actually went back to Silversea. Seabourn did not create more exciting itineraries with the addition of the new ships. How many times can you go to Livorno or the Riviera? Yes they are beautiful, but with more ships there should be more variety.

Having sailed on all SS ships except for the Whisper and Prince Edward and our first SB cruise on the Odyssey in March, these are my impressions:

1. The Odyssey in terms of physical design and layout is far superior to the SS Spirit, including two pool areas, multiple sun lounging areas especially those in the front and back areas of the ship, SB square, Suites are comparable;

2. Food is comparable but the dining experience is more rushed on SB. Courses come out one after the other with little time in between, also 1 hour opening times at the MDR at breakfast and lunch on SB is unacceptable;

3. Service and crew attitude on SB is heads above SS;

4. SB knows how to make a mixed drink, they are excellent. I have never had a decent cocktail on SS with the exception of a scotch and soda. The complimentary wine selections on SB are dreadful however. SS is far superior in this regard.

5. Entertainment in terms of the CD and staff on SB is well above SS. On the TA Odyssey in March the CD and staff made every effort to liven up the "Club" by dancing and singing on many nights and the passengers responded. At night the Club was full and usually rockin with seats hard to find. On the TA on the Spirit in October 2010 the nightclub was a mausoleum every night and little effort was made by the CD and his staff.

5. On SB you still get caviar, as much as you want. Not $60 an order like on SS.

Archived