Anything you wana know about Oasis...ask me!

Got off Oasis 3 weeks ago... been taking some time to get back to "real" life... Now Im back into the swing of things and ready to provide my fellow CC'ers with tips, tricks and advice on Oasis...

Sure was a BEAUTIFUL ship!

We did the Western Caribbean (Labadee, Falmouth (first Oasis cruise in port), and Cozumel.

Let me know what you want to know- Im more than willing to share what I know! :)

Thanks for sharing your experiences. So helpful.

Kathy

What did you guys do in Labadee? Do you recommend a beach day or booking an excursion?

Well, we just had a beach day- I WISH oh boy oh boy do I WISH that I stuck with my gut and booked the zip-line....I had my heart set on doing it, but the cost held me back.... my boyfriend said "we're on vacation do it" and well, it was just so expensive... so we didnt book it... by the time I saw the first person come down that zip-line I regreted my decision- we should have signed up! we went to see if we could last-minute do it but sure enough it was sold out.... if you're up for the thrill and willing to pay, after all, its only money! DO IT!!!! stick to your gut! if theres something you wana do go for it! I wish I did! -We mad a pact we'll take a cruise for our honeymoon (whenever that may be)... and we're GOING to the LABADEE zipline! :) hehe

If you're not going to do a shore excursion- this is what we did and it was great- we took the Labadee "tram" (FREE) from where you can first catch it to where the shops are. When you arrive at the shops there will be a big building (garage type) oppostite the ocean... if you walk around this building there is a dirt road with little shop/huts lining the road... follow this road until there is a beach on your right... (its right across from where there is a food station)... this beach felt nearly empty (for 6000 people being here thats a good thing)... we found chairs right away (an islander "pool boy" ran up and carried the chairs for us, for a tip of course)... we sat in a shade spot (tons of both sun and shade)... the beach is lovely! the ship is in the background perfectly allowing for amazing pictures...

the main beach (when you first hit the "main part of Labadee")-also where you can watch the Zip-Line- is very very rocky and rough- the beach we walked to was soft sand and hardly and rocky-ness... its worth the treck over there- takes maybe 15 minutes walking and about 5 minutes by tram...

I will warn you- the shop keepers on your walk are VERY VERY VERY aggressive! They are going to try to lure you in put stuff on you and they are very good sales people- they lay on the guilt and make you want to buy something. They take a simple no thank you and you keep walking. If you want to buy ANYTHING BARTER!!!! (i know, i know...its Haiti) I felt REALLY bad bartering and it took me a while to get the hang of it, but they start our really high and unreasonable- you tell them the price and viola! its yours... they are so happy to have money and I was so happy to spend it there- those people REALLY need them money and I didnt mind spending- I got some neat stuff! One was a beautiful 8x10 painting of a cruise ship- they started out at $35-I offered $20 He said $25 I said $20- SOLD!

Well, we just had a beach day- I WISH oh boy oh boy do I WISH that I stuck with my gut and booked the zip-line....I had my heart set on doing it, but the cost held me back.... my boyfriend said "we're on vacation do it" and well, it was just so expensive... so we didnt book it... by the time I saw the first person come down that zip-line I regreted my decision- we should have signed up! we went to see if we could last-minute do it but sure enough it was sold out.... if you're up for the thrill and willing to pay, after all, its only money! DO IT!!!! stick to your gut! if theres something you wana do go for it! I wish I did! -We mad a pact we'll take a cruise for our honeymoon (whenever that may be)... and we're GOING to the LABADEE zipline! :) hehe

If you're not going to do a shore excursion- this is what we did and it was great- we took the Labadee "tram" (FREE) from where you can first catch it to where the shops are. When you arrive at the shops there will be a big building (garage type) oppostite the ocean... if you walk around this building there is a dirt road with little shop/huts lining the road... follow this road until there is a beach on your right... (its right across from where there is a food station)... this beach felt nearly empty (for 6000 people being here thats a good thing)... we found chairs right away (an islander "pool boy" ran up and carried the chairs for us, for a tip of course)... we sat in a shade spot (tons of both sun and shade)... the beach is lovely! the ship is in the background perfectly allowing for amazing pictures...

the main beach (when you first hit the "main part of Labadee")-also where you can watch the Zip-Line- is very very rocky and rough- the beach we walked to was soft sand and hardly and rocky-ness... its worth the treck over there- takes maybe 15 minutes walking and about 5 minutes by tram...

I will warn you- the shop keepers on your walk are VERY VERY VERY aggressive! They are going to try to lure you in put stuff on you and they are very good sales people- they lay on the guilt and make you want to buy something. They take a simple no thank you and you keep walking. If you want to buy ANYTHING BARTER!!!! (i know, i know...its Haiti) I felt REALLY bad bartering and it took me a while to get the hang of it, but they start our really high and unreasonable- you tell them the price and viola! its yours... they are so happy to have money and I was so happy to spend it there- those people REALLY need them money and I didnt mind spending- I got some neat stuff! One was a beautiful 8x10 painting of a cruise ship- they started out at $35-I offered $20 He said $25 I said $20- SOLD!

I had heard that the cruise line has a BBQ on the beach for lunch? Which beach? Or is this just for barefoot beach for the suite guests in cabanas? Also what types of things are for sale there? I too, would like to purchase something as a small token to add to the economy...but, it wouldn't mind if it was something I wanted and not just the usual "island" crafts. Other than the zip lining and shopping is there anything else to do in Labadee?

I had heard that the cruise line has a BBQ on the beach for lunch? Which beach? Or is this just for barefoot beach for the suite guests in cabanas? Also what types of things are for sale there? I too, would like to purchase something as a small token to add to the economy...but, it wouldn't mind if it was something I wanted and not just the usual "island" crafts. Other than the zip lining and shopping is there anything else to do in Labadee?

I'm not the OP, but I can answer a few of your questions. The BBQ is free for everyone, and it's set up in several places, so there will be a station near whichever beach you set up at.

The Haitian flea market is very high pressure, but in a smaller building behind the flea market, there is an Artesan's Market that has much of the same merchandise at fixed-prices. It is a much more pleasant shopping experience. I bought a Christmas ornament. I also bought something carved from wood, but I've read that recently, you cant bring the wooden goods home with you because of a problem with bugs that might reside inside the wood.

Hi,

Thanks for all the info! I am thinking of booking the Oasis but am a little intimidated by the size. Did you feel that the ship was crowded? When you were in port did it feel crowded there as well? My husband really want to book it, but I don't want to end up standing in line all week for everything! Also were you able to get a table at Windjammer easily and were the buffet areas really crowded? Thanks!

Hi,

Thanks for all the info! I am thinking of booking the Oasis but am a little intimidated by the size. Did you feel that the ship was crowded? When you were in port did it feel crowded there as well? My husband really want to book it, but I don't want to end up standing in line all week for everything! Also were you able to get a table at Windjammer easily and were the buffet areas really crowded? Thanks!

We were on a FULL ship during spring break and....Odd enough as it may seem---- the ship NEVER felt croweded! the only times that I noticed A LOT of people (all in one area) was during the parades/shows that they had in the promanade deck on certain nights- during those it was IMPOSSIBLE to walk through the promanade- but if you avoided it by going to a different deck- there was no problem at all....

The only port that seemed crowed was Cozumel and that was only getting through the security checkpoint (there was an hour until sail-away)... the security is set up on the island (not ship employees) and security was a MESS! the Voyager also was there and shared the same dock as we did and thats a BIG ship as well- so there were really TOO many people all at one time trying to get back to the ships.... there were 6 other ships in Cozumel that day- we just stayed on our peir and didnt venture into the town- from what I heard- it wasnt TOO crowded.

The other ports Labadee and Falmouth- were FINE!

The only line we stood in the whole week was to get into the My Time Dining. and that was maybe 15 minutes tops every night!

The Windjammer was crowded at breakfast mostly- but we did manage to find a table every day! The staff are more than willing to help you find a place to sit!- there is also an option on your cabin TV that will show you the wait time for all of the dining establishments on board- this seemed to be somewhat accurate and it made it easy to pick and choose where to go eat- that is also accessible on the touch screen TV's found everywhere on the ship!

Johnny Rockets has a FREE breakfast that was reasonable- and there are FREE doughnuts on the boardwalk as well...

There was really never a problem with people. It seemed like we were on a "regular" sized cruise ship the whole time...

we never really waited to get off or back on the ship when we were in port either- its really a well developed ship with a great plan for moving people efficiently!

I SAY GOOOOO FOR IT! You'll love it... (only if, this isnt you first cruise) we (my family and I) all agreed that its TOO much for a first cruise- but if you're not new to cruising its a MUST DO ship!

What colour is the plimsol line on the Oasis ?

Is the toilet paper single or double ply ?

Does the water go clockwise or anti clockwise down the drain? Does this change?

:D

Love it! But that last question is unfair because you know it has nothing to do with the ship. Your penance should be to explain the Coriolis Force to all who care!

Hank

Let me know what you want to know- Im more than willing to share what I know! :)

Well, you did say ask you anything. ;) I have a question I have not been able to get answered on both the Oasis and Allure...even from asking bridge crew.

What is the purpose of the 2 spoilers on Oasis Class?

Did you happen to stay in a B1 or notice how the view would be from 8711? trying to figure out if it is close enough aft to see the water out the back of the ship and any part of Aqua Theater. thanks

I can't offer you any help on that one--- sorry! :(

We were in 9820 and my other family in 9818- ocean-balcony- we we're pretty much at the very back of the ship.

Thanks so much for all the information! We will definitely head over to the other beach! Also we wanted to know if they had clocks in the rooms or like an alarm. I saw on the Allure that they had a ipod charger and everything :)

:p

Thanks so much for all the information! We will definitely head over to the other beach! Also we wanted to know if they had clocks in the rooms or like an alarm. I saw on the Allure that they had a ipod charger and everything :)

Nothing in the rooms on the Oasis :(

We were SO bummed- since my brother, my boyfriend and myself all shared a room we were hoping to put on some of our Ipod tunes while we were in our room- but to our suprise- there was no Ipod dock in there...

Make sure to bring your own clock!

The curtains in the rooms make it DARK!!!! We had a balcony and it was pitch black in there every day! we woke up at 9am (so it was bright out) had we not have set the alarms- we could have slept all day!:p

Hey...I will be on the Oasis Oct 1,2011, doing the same itinerary, and have not cruised RCCL before. On Carnival, you can pre-order alcohol from Bon Voyage, for your room. Is there some way of doing this on the Oasis:confused: I can't seem to find anything about how to do this.

Sounds like you had a blast, which I fully intend to do as well :D

Sue

You make reservations by logging onto your cruise reservation on the royal Caribbean website. If you haven't set up a username and password yet you will be prompted to do so first. Once you are in you can reserve excursions, drink packages and special services prior to your sailing. Have fun!

Hi folks,

I appreciate there may be an answer lurking around the forum already on the following but to save time I thought I'd try my luck at asking. If anyone has been on the Oasis I'd be glad of your advise please? Ta.

1. Where on the Oasis can you eat for 'free' ?

2. What do you have to pay extra for on the ship?

3. If you buy a wine package, can you only drink the wine in the 'posh' restaurant? (That was the case on Brilliance of The Seas)

4. Do all rooms have Tea/Coffee making facilities?

5. Does anyone know what Oasis offer to Honeymooners? (upgrade or a bottle of plonk?.... I think I already know the answer to that one! haha)

6. Has anyone used the cinema? Are the films all in Spainsh? (Thinking back to Brilliance of The seas!) Don't fancy climbing into the loft for my old spanish school books. Hoping for an English movie.

Cheers & thanks :D

Hi folks,

I appreciate there may be an answer lurking around the forum already on the following but to save time I thought I'd try my luck at asking. If anyone has been on the Oasis I'd be glad of your advise please? Ta.

1. Where on the Oasis can you eat for 'free' ?

2. What do you have to pay extra for on the ship?

3. If you buy a wine package, can you only drink the wine in the 'posh' restaurant? (That was the case on Brilliance of The Seas)

4. Do all rooms have Tea/Coffee making facilities?

5. Does anyone know what Oasis offer to Honeymooners? (upgrade or a bottle of plonk?.... I think I already know the answer to that one! haha)

6. Has anyone used the cinema? Are the films all in Spainsh? (Thinking back to Brilliance of The seas!) Don't fancy climbing into the loft for my old spanish school books. Hoping for an English movie.

Cheers & thanks :D

1. You can eat for free- in the dining room, the windjammer, the park cafe, the mondo cafe (on promonade- has sandwiches and desserts), Sorientino's pizza (promonade) the promonade cafe, Wipeout Cafe (DELICOUS snacky foods-soup, pizza, bugers, hot dogs and pretzel dogs) and the solarium bistro. You can also get doughnuts for free on the boardwalk. $5 gets you all you can eat (except milkshakes) at Johnny Rockets- its totally worth the $$$

2. You pay for the specality restaurants, shops, spa treatments, alcahol, shore excoursions and the specialty coffees. Anything other than room and most of the food you have to pay for.

3. not sure about wine packages....

4. no coffee/tea anything in the room- you call room service or you go get it yourself at the windjammer.

5. dont know about the honeymoon's....

6. Im pretty sure the movies that they show in any of the public areas are in English- unsless stated otherwise. They play movies in various languages in the rooms throughout the week. Actually, there were better movies in the other languages than they were in English.

Archived