Watch your accounts after your return!

Half Pint

Well, then its worth repeating the advise DO NO USE YOUR CREDIT CARD IN PORTS unless it is a emergency.

I never take it into ports. Having worked in disputes, its not so easy to recover money for foreign countries in many cases. Its unwise to use your credit card unless its a huge jewelry purchase at a very well known store for instance.

Hopefully, someone else will think twice before taking their credit card into a port and using it.

DH and I had $3000 removed from a checking account with a debit/Visa card attached to it right here in the good old USA. The card had never left the country. 13 charges were made; some to pay off other people's cell phone charges (SPrint, Verizon, AT&T) and one to pay for a Continental flight from LA to Dallas, first class, $1000.00. The people who made these charges never had the card. Continental was terrific and replaced the money. None of the phone companies did and the bank had to come up with the funds. The phone companies never even responded to requests for info, even from the police. The phone charges were traced back to Brooklyn, NY and the case was handed over to the Brooklyn DA's office. Never heard from them either.

No one should be using a card attached to any kind of bank account with any substantial amount of money in it, even near home. Just an FYI...

If you are using a credit card, and who does not travel with some kind of card (?), tell the bank where you are going and the dates.

I was just notified today a card with my account number was used in Panama at a gas station.

Thankfully, my bank knows I am not there and declined it both times it was attempted.

I'm pretty sure our number was lifted somewhere on our cruise. :mad: It isn't a coincidence that 8 weeks ago we were in Central America and now all of a sudden, our card number was used there.

Watch your accounts after you come home!!

I agree completly don't use ypur cards in ports. Even local vendors that you would nevevr suspect might be up to something...or not! its all the "luck" of the draw I guess.

But if I got someones credit card number I think I would go for something huge! Maybe an after wrap around balcony...but gas?...eh..this person sounds boring.:p but all joking aside I am really glad that your credit card company caught them!

Wow, that is really scary. I try not to charge in ports, but sometimes I have to. Now I will be more nervous about it! Bummer

Don't be afraid it is safer to use a credit card in port then it is cash......however I would no use a debit card.

FYI - If you have an American Express card (issued in the USA) you do not need to call before you travel. They do not factor in location when they approve or decline charges. This changed a couple of years ago.

FYI - If you have an American Express card (issued in the USA) you do not need to call before you travel. They do not factor in location when they approve or decline charges. This changed a couple of years ago.

I always call to let them know I will be using my card out of the country......I would be pissed if they made that decision for me.......

I always call to let them know I will be using my card out of the country......I would be pissed if they made that decision for me.......

What do you mean "if they made that decision for you"??

Amex is not making any decision for you. They just do not look at location when a charge comes in and if you do call the Rep should be telling you there is no need to call before you travel.

What do you mean "if they made that decision for you"??

Amex is not making any decision for you. They just do not look at location when a charge comes in and if you do call the Rep should be telling you there is no need to call before you travel.

To approve or decline a transaction;) So far they take down my dates and I have never had a problem......

To approve or decline a transaction;) So far they take down my dates and I have never had a problem......

Every card company essentially makes that decision for every CM. Amex Reps are suppose to tell you, if you call, not to bother next time. There is no longer a place to input dates of travel on the data base.

Just want to give all the Amex Customers on here a heads up so they do nto have to worry about calling Amex before any travel plans

OP thanks for the warning. We always try to be careful and vigilant when traveling, but it never hurts to have a reminder to do so. I am glad that everything worked out okay for you! We call our CC companies to let them know we are traveling too, so hopefully if any of our cards did get compromised we would be in the same situation as you.

Every card company essentially makes that decision for every CM. Amex Reps are suppose to tell you, if you call, not to bother next time. There is no longer a place to input dates of travel on the data base.

Just want to give all the Amex Customers on here a heads up so they do nto have to worry about calling Amex before any travel plans

Which is the reason to let them know that it is us that will be using the card out of the country so they don't put a stop on it.

I guess our last rep didn't get the memo:p

My wife and I have a second CC just for vacations. We leave our main card at home. We only have a small limit on that second card for unexpected expenses. We budget to pay cash for everything. We too notify the CC company that we are leaving with dates and what card we are taking.

It can happen in your home town. Thats just life. Credit card theft is everywhere. I check my cards every day to make sure if something fishy happens, I can take care of it poste haste.

We go one better , a email is sent to myself ever time our card is used

I was just notified today a card with my account number was used in Panama at a gas station.

Thankfully, my bank knows I am not there and declined it both times it was attempted.

I'm pretty sure our number was lifted somewhere on our cruise. :mad: It isn't a coincidence that 8 weeks ago we were in Central America and now all of a sudden, our card number was used there.

Watch your accounts after you come home!!

I just returned on March 26 from the Western on the Dream. I did not take my credit card off the ship, was in the safe the entire time. I have not used it since I showed it for my Sign and Sail card. Just looked at my statement online last night and noticed several unauthorized charges from March 29.

I am not accusing anyone from Carnival of lifting the number, I have no idea how or when it happened. But I will start checking it online periodically from now on.

Funny thing is that there were also two "returns" of the merchandise ordered. Maybe I have an honest identity thief.

Well, then its worth repeating the advise DO NO USE YOUR CREDIT CARD IN PORTS unless it is a emergency.

I never take it into ports. Having worked in disputes, its not so easy to recover money for foreign countries in many cases. Its unwise to use your credit card unless its a huge jewelry purchase at a very well known store for instance.

Hopefully, someone else will think twice before taking their credit card into a port and using it.

Weird. I just had 2 disputes on my acct from England ($630 from a car rental we had prepaid, and $400 from hotel fees we had prepaid on hotwire.com that the hotel mistakenly applied twice), placed them electronically w/Bank of America and they immediately credited our cash back. I travel a *lot*, not typically by cruise ship, and I find credit cards are the SAFEST form of "currency", because you do have that secondary level of protection. Someone steals your cash or god forbid your debit card, and it's not nearly as easy to recover. My husband has spent a career on the sea, much of it in the Caribbean and he would never NOT use a credit card in foreign port because it is so protected, and he has successfully had money returned very quickly on his credit card after a theft. I hope people think twice before following your advice.

Which is the reason to let them know that it is us that will be using the card out of the country so they don't put a stop on it.

I guess our last rep didn't get the memo:p

And I said this before. It does not matter if you call or not. It makes no difference. If you were stopped at the POS using your Amex card, it had nothing to do where you were located.

D-roc, if that is true, I'm very glad I don't have an AmEx card.

Thankfully, my credit union is much more vigilant about unauthorized charges and declined them when they knew I was not traveling out of the country (since I had contacted them prior giving our dates of travel).

As others have stated, I would have no problem using a credit card in a foreign country, should the opportunity ever arise again. It's much safer than cash.

But in this instance (and if people would read the entire thread before commenting, they'd know this :rolleyes:) my card was not used in port. It was only attached to our S&S card onboard.

D-roc, if that is true, I'm very glad I don't have an AmEx card.

Thankfully, my credit union is much more vigilant about unauthorized charges and declined them when they knew I was not traveling out of the country (since I had contacted them prior giving our dates of travel).

As others have stated, I would have no problem using a credit card in a foreign country, should the opportunity ever arise again. It's much safer than cash.

But in this instance (and if people would read the entire thread before commenting, they'd know this :rolleyes:) my card was not used in port. It was only attached to our S&S card onboard.

I think you have assumed something that is not accurate. Amex has the best fraud prevention tools out there that can and does catch unauhtorized transactions when CM's are travelling domestically or even abroad. Amex is extremely vigilant when it comes to this.

After our TA last year, we disembarked in Boston, and shortly thereafter found a charge for a bus ticket from Boston to NY, and two fast food buys in NYC. Our credit union notified us questioning this (good catch by them!) and we immediately canceled and were reissued our cards with new numbers. The ONLY place that card number could have been taken was from the Purser's office. Rather disconcerting. :mad:

Sorry about the mishap and thanks for the heads up. I ALWAYS use a credit card (not debit) while in ports unless I am purchasing small dollar items. I've never had any problems, but I check ALL my accounts on a daily basis, and I highly recommend everyone do that as well. Also, I always call ahead to my credit card companies and give them the heads up to let them know I'm traveling abroad. FYI: I always use American Express while abroad. AMEX cards are awesome and keep you covered.

And I said this before. It does not matter if you call or not. It makes no difference. If you were stopped at the POS using your Amex card, it had nothing to do where you were located.

Thanks for the unauthorized advice.......I will continue to handle my accounts as my rep seems fit. And as of right now they know I will be leaving the country in a few weeks;)

Thanks for the unauthorized advice.......I will continue to handle my accounts as my rep seems fit. And as of right now they know I will be leaving the country in a few weeks;)

Come again?? Unauthorized advice? I am giving authorized and official advice. Right from the horses mouth.

Come again?? Unauthorized advice? I am giving authorized and official advice. Right from the horses mouth.

I believe people are naive enough to believe what people say on message boards.......hopefully most will be smart enough to make an official phone call to their cc rep and go from there.....like I do.....but hey thanks anyway;) and really I could care less if you are implying that you work for amex......

Archived