Watch your accounts after your return!

Half Pint

Glad your bank caught it a denied the charges, but this is just great example of why we don't use any plastic on any ports, just too many chance for something like this to happen. We use cash and cash only, and even then sometimes I'm skeptical. Not trying to generalize that all port areas are bad, but what the "bandits" see, are Americans on vacation, and a big opporturnity, so better safe that sorry.

Mimgan

I believe people are naive enough to believe what people say on message boards.......hopefully most will be smart enough to make an official phone call to their cc rep and go from there.....like I do.....but hey thanks anyway;) and really I could care less if you are implying that you work for amex......

Why would you call everyone on here who takes the advice of yourself and others naive?

Believe what you want. Call an Amex rep and confirm. I welcome it. As I know I am 100% correct.

Why would you call everyone on here who takes the advice of yourself and others naive?

Believe what you want. Call an Amex rep and confirm. I welcome it. As I know I am 100% correct.

Which parts of my post are hard for you to comprehend:confused:

Coming from my own experience as a Flight Attendant I've had my share of cards being compramised. Like everyone, I keep close attention to the cards I use while working. One time I was between flight's and needed a quick meal to keep me going. The next day I was finished, commuted home and it wasn't until we pulled in to the gate that I realized the employee at the restaurant kept a copy of my card and used it for her "cell phone bill", her cable bill, a wig, a meal at McDonald's, used at the book store, etc. I had to fly back to my base to fill out a police report and then give a copy to my financial institution so I could replace said card. Needless to say, the employee was caught, security camera's with date and time on them work real good, lost her job and faced charges.

From this unfortunate event I decided that from then on, working or on personal trips, it's much more convenient to transfer all of that "cash", I never keep cash on hand, to a Visa, Mastercard or American Express Gift Card. That way when the trip is done any left over cash is transferred back in to my account therefore not compramising my personal account's.

I truly appreciate the idea of letting your institution's know of your date's of travel! Excellent idea!

Did you use your card in any of the ports?? Thats what I avoid, just on the ship and never a problem. How could somone lift your card # if you had it in the safe the whole cruise?

I dont think you should blame Carnival.

Where did they say they blamed Carnival?

Stop jumping to conclusions.

I have one low credit limit card, that we take off the ship, to use for purchases, when we don't feel comfortable pulling out a wallet full of cash.

The card is only used on vacation, and has a small limit, and no over the limit advances, they will not allow any charges that will put it over the limit.

On our last cruise out of San diego, someone got my Visa information the night before we boarded, could have been the hotel staff??? I found out the next morning that my card was declined. Declined the day of my cruise??

I get to the terminal, I am freaking out, no credit card to start my account. No one is able to help. I go to the pursers desk..they say no card no problem...just put up cash! Well I have been bleeding cash ever since my card was declined...hotel, cab, store...I give them 200.00..that is not much considering it is an 8 day and the tips are gonna be 160.00.

Man we are screwed!!

Then ....my room steward comes in and says...you do not looks so good. I explain our financial situation and he directs me to Joel at the future cruise desk, he gives me a flyer that says...double miles on purchases made on carnival including this trip..INSTANT CREDIT. I find JOEL

They set us up with a sea miles master card with few thousand in credit WOO HOO! and they set it up to handle our sign and sail card!

Now,.....since we have been bleeding cash.and need more .and I am platinum.. I use my free entrance into the black jack tourney. Ship on a stick Baby..Oh yeah and $500.00 in cash...whoo hooo!!!! Duh Winning!!

I love carnival...happy trails...Take two cards, always alert them to your travel plans. Take some extra cash :)

This is a GREAT post!!!

One of things I 'picked up' in my cruising tips that i've read, is to get a bunch of small denomination visa gift cards to use in ports. Thought I would buy 4 -$25 ones since I dont plan to buy much in mexico. I thought that was a great idea. I never use my bank card on the ship or when i travel, i transfer funds to another card with the amount i'm going to spend, bank card stays at home.

I do something similar. Because my main banking is done at a credit union with not many branches, I also have a 'spending cash' checking account with a commercial bank--every payday I deposit my "fun money" for the next two weeks and use that debit card (it's easier to find the bank's ATMs where I live than ATMs working with my credit union). So when I cruise, I load up cash onto my bank card. I bring my credit union card, but haven't ever used it--it's just for in case any thing goes wrong with the other card.

I work in IT security consulting, specializing in PCI ( payment card industry ) .

Credit Card theft is a big time biz, it can be from the parking attendant, waiter or retail store

People steal the number electronically thru hand held readers , then sell the numbers/data.

New numbers are what they are after not old numbers.

It happens all over the world.. major cards will honor most theft

I used to travel internationally all the time , got hit twice one on an amex the other on a visa

Both times I had to sign a form/ avadavat attesting to the theft.. and it was taken off.

I try not to travel in other countries with loads of cash ( San Poalo, Brazil taught me that)… that is what I feel is unsafe… cant go wrong with a Major Credit Card from a Major provider. I never travel with debit card… a whole different set of rules.

Archived