Walking from Dock Gate 8 to City Terminal in Southampton

europe10

I am interested in people's experiences with walking from DOCK GATE 8 to the CITY TERMINAL in Southampton. We will be embarking on the Eclipse and will be staying at the Holiday Inn Southampton before the cruise. On the map the walk looks short, I would guess 300 yards. However, is the walk safe or are you weaving through heavy traffic? Does someone check you at Dock Gate 8 or do you just walk in? Where is entrance to the City Terminal as you approach? Thanks for your help.

Last summer we stayed at the Holiday Inn Southampton and the next morning walked over to the Eclipse! It was soo exciting to be staying so close to the port. Our room faced the port and in the early hours I could see the blue lights twinkling on the ship as she was already docked and getting ready for us!

The walk was very easy- on pavement and even a sidewalk. You are right where the people park their cars longterm . Could not be easier. Our luggage has 4 wheels so very easy to pull. If you think it is too difficult , we saw some passengers walk over to the port and get the luggage buggies , then walked back to the hotel, loaded up, and walked back again with the trollies which they returned as they loaded the bags . It is so simple. Actually one of my happiest memories of pre-cruise!

Thank you so much for the info. We are doing the repositioning of the Eclips at the end of October. We have booked a room at the H.I. and have a feeling that the entire hotel will be for the Eclipse LOL.

You made my wife feel better with your response

Last summer we stayed at the Holiday Inn Southampton and the next morning walked over to the Eclipse! It was soo exciting to be staying so close to the port. Our room faced the port and in the early hours I could see the blue lights twinkling on the ship as she was already docked and getting ready for us!

The walk was very easy- on pavement and even a sidewalk. You are right where the people park their cars longterm . Could not be easier. Our luggage has 4 wheels so very easy to pull. If you think it is too difficult , we saw some passengers walk over to the port and get the luggage buggies , then walked back to the hotel, loaded up, and walked back again with the trollies which they returned as they loaded the bags . It is so simple. Actually one of my happiest memories of pre-cruise!

Last July I was staying at the De Vere across the road from the Holiday Inn, I walked over after breakfast at 8:30 to look at the ship and asked the security guard if it was ok to walk in later at 11:00, no problem he said and walked me over to the terminal to show me where to go later in the morning. It was no problem to walk the case into the terminal. It was nice to find a helpful pleasant security man at the gate.

Thank you so much for the info. We are doing the repositioning of the Eclips at the end of October. We have booked a room at the H.I. and have a feeling that the entire hotel will be for the Eclipse LOL.

You made my wife feel better with your response

Worldtravellerrus,

My husband and I are also staying at the H.I. I hate rushing the time, but we are looking forward to this cruise. The idea of getting a cart for the luggage alleviates some concerns. Enjoy the summer and see you in the fall.

Hi Tcher

Yes like you we don't want to wish away the summer,but the cruise should be very interesting. See you in October

Worldtravellerrus,

My husband and I are also staying at the H.I. I hate rushing the time, but we are looking forward to this cruise. The idea of getting a cart for the luggage alleviates some concerns. Enjoy the summer and see you in the fall.

Archived