Please share your 2-3 day Bermuda itinerary

78ultra81108

First time cruiser headed to Bermuda in May, we are a family of 3 with a 3 year old. Would LOVE to know your Bermuda itinerary either for an upcoming or past trip. Right now we are not planning any tours or group excursions, we are going to try to DIY. Would love any and all details you'd like to share, from things to do to places to eat.

Thanks a ton!!!

If you're going May 8th...we'll be travelling together!!!

This is what our current plan is...but everything is flexible depending on the weather and our energy level.

Day 1: Beaches, Gibb's, Seaglass Beach

Arrive 8:00 am, as soon as ship clears (9:00 - 9:30 ??), head out on #7 bus to Warwick Beach. Stroll, swim, hike, play, snorkel. etc from beach to beach along the south shore, ending at Horseshoe. There we'll have lunch on the beach and hopefully lay in the sun for a while. After that, we plan to walk to Gibb's Lighthouse...(and climb it :D ), then bus back toward the Dockyard, but get off at Seaglass beach, then either walk or bus back to the Dockyard. We hope to be back on the ship for dinner and the evening. Older sons may stay behind and dive with Fantasea Diving.

Day 2: Fort Hamilton, Caves, Swizzle Inn, Fort St. Catherine's, Tobacco Bay

Take earliest ferry to Hamilton (arrives at 8:15 am), walk around and explore the city (see the Cathedral, etc.), then be at Fort Hamilton for its opening at 9:30am. After touring there for about 1 hour, hop on the first bus to the Caves area (some buses stop at caves, some will stop at Swizzle Inn...which is a very short walk from the caves). Explore one or both caves..not sure yet. Then head over to Swizzle Inn for lunch and a rum swizzle (gotta try it!!), then maybe across the street to Baliey's for an ice cream.

Take bus to St. George and walk past the Unfinished Church to get to Fort St. Catherine's. Tour the fort, then walk next door to swim and snorkel at Tobacco Bay. Walk back to catch the last the ferry to the Dockyard (6:15pm).

This will be our VERY busy day...lots of walking!!!

Day 3: Dockyard area, Snorkel Park

Spend the day close to the ship. Most likely go to Snorkel Park, check out the Clocktower Mall, etc. If we really want to go back to Horseshoe...or check out something else, we may do that instead.

We still have about 3 weeks...so this might change 20 times before then.;)

Day 1: Beaches, Gibb's, Seaglass Beach

Arrive 8:00 am, as soon as ship clears (9:00 - 9:30 ??), head out on #7 bus to Warwick Beach. Stroll, swim, hike, play, snorkel. etc from beach to beach along the south shore, ending at Horseshoe. There we'll have lunch on the beach and hopefully lay in the sun for a while. After that, we plan to walk to Gibb's Lighthouse...(and climb it :D ), then bus back toward the Dockyard, but get off at Seaglass beach, then either walk or bus back to the Dockyard. We hope to be back on the ship for dinner and the evening. Older sons may stay behind and dive with Fantasea Diving.

Is it possible to walk back and forth to seaglass beach from DY...read less than a mile, but no area to really walk on.

Thanks!

Yes, it is possible if you don't mind walking at the edge of a travel lane :eek: for part of the distance.

If you search on my name, there was a thread where another CC member and I put together the best route to do this. It was in 2011 but not in April.

SBtS

Wow, travelloverontario, your itinerary is very ambitious!! Sounds fantastic, and yes, we will be on the same cruise.

I will have a 3 year old in tow, so we are slightly less ambitious. Probably want to make a point of going to the Aquarium, heard Jobson's Cove is a great beach for tots, and we may skip St George entirely.

I hear there's a Marks & Spencer in Hamilton...brings back lots of memories from when I lived in London, might just have to make that a priority, too!

I'm really struggling with finding a good balance between seeing as much of the island as we can while working within the limits of our son who still loves to nap for 3 hours in the afternoon and my husband who'd be content to sit on the balcony ALL day every day! Maybe they can sit and nap while Mummy goes shopping in Hamilton? :)

Wow, travelloverontario, your itinerary is very ambitious!! Sounds fantastic, and yes, we will be on the same cruise.

I will have a 3 year old in tow, so we are slightly less ambitious. Probably want to make a point of going to the Aquarium, heard Jobson's Cove is a great beach for tots, and we may skip St George entirely.

I hear there's a Marks & Spencer in Hamilton...brings back lots of memories from when I lived in London, might just have to make that a priority, too!

I'm really struggling with finding a good balance between seeing as much of the island as we can while working within the limits of our son who still loves to nap for 3 hours in the afternoon and my husband who'd be content to sit on the balcony ALL day every day! Maybe they can sit and nap while Mummy goes shopping in Hamilton? :)

as you can see dh and I have been to Bermuda before....we have no children with us, but went to the zoo and aquarium...1 price for both and really enjoyed it..as far as your child and husband napping and relaxing and you going shopping. Outstanding idea..my dh has a museum day and I ferry it to Hamilton for an afternoon of shopping...love my time on the ferry and in Hamilton. Also 1 day when they are napping..we are at the dockyard so walk off the ship and right in the dockyard there's the clocktower mall and assorted crafty kinds of shops. Love my walking around time at the dockyard.:Dhave fun....

Last June while on the Explorer of the Seas had a busy 2 days. Took the 1st ferry we could to St Georges and walked to Tobacco Bay and snorkeled for a couple of hours. ( calm h20, scenic spot, not great snorkeling) Then walked back to St. Georges and grabbed a bus to Hamilton. Had lunch there along waterfront, shopped a bit then took a bus to Church Bay. ( Scenic small beach next to Horseshoe Bay, water to rough to snorkel) Tried to get bus back to dockyard but all full with 2 ships out there. Nice local lady who worked in shop out there gave us a lift.(Thank you) 2nd day took bus to Elbow Beach.( Beautiful long Beach though still rough for swimming) Took bus back to Dock yard, had lunch on the ship. Then went over to Snorkel Park for a while. Water calmer but with so many people in it was kind of stirred up to see anything. This June would like to check out Clarence Cove and the Gibbs Lighthouse.

Day 1, We are meeting Colin Jennings at 9am. He'll be our tour guide for 4-5 hours, not sure what will do late afternoon and evening. Day two will take the 1st bus to Horseshoe Bay, leave mid afternoon and head to Hamilton for site seeing and the ferry back to the docks. Day 3 will spend the morning on a 4 hour snorkeling tour and will be back at the dock by 3pm. This is all weather dependent, I'll scream if it rains for 3 days.:eek:

Our plans are as follows:

Day one: Ferry to St-Georges; trolley tour or horse and carriage for one hour (roughly the same cost 50 vs. 80). I will get some history and little boy will enjoy the movement. Then over to tobacco bay for a toddle/play/swim.

Back to the ferry early for the ferry back to dockyards.

Day two: ferry to Hamilton; walk to buses; bus 10 or 11 to BAMZ; after BAMZ, bus 10 or 11 (blue) the mile, mile and a half to Shelly Bay - swimming, playground etc. Bus back to Hamilton; ferry to the Dockyards

Day three: bus 7 from the dockyards to Warwick Long Bay; beach morning at Jobson's Cove. bus 7 back to the dockyards.

Yes we know that there is a lot of beach time and not much sightseeing but we are travelling with a toddler, and sight seeing won't be great for him.

We are travelling with my family, so we might change day 1 into a mommy/daddy day with the ferry to st georges, tour of the history in that area, public bus back to Hamilton with stops along the 1 or 3 route. Maybe the botanical gardens in the Hamilton area before heading back to the Ferry and the Dockyards.

We haven't scheduled the Dockyards since we figure we will be doing that at the end of the days, individually or when my family is baby sitting napping little boy.

FYI - There is also a playground in Dockyards area. (Place to run around :) )

Just our ideas... not too exciting but thought you might like to know from a toddler point of view.

Happy trip!

Andrea

We are going May 8 as well. We'll be on Norwegian Gem. This will be our 4th cruise to Bermuda but the first with a toddler (2yo grandaughter) We would like to spend time at the beach as well but it's only been in the 60s there. Can't find current water temp anywhere. Does anyone know?

Yes, it is possible if you don't mind walking at the edge of a travel lane :eek: for part of the distance.

If you search on my name, there was a thread where another CC member and I put together the best route to do this. It was in 2011 but not in April.

SBtS

..........My question is, we only have 2 days in Bermuda. We wanted to see the "wench dunking" which is apparently at noon, in St Georges. If we took the earliest ferry from Dockyards to St G, and finished up our visit to St Georges with the wenh dunking, we should be making our way back to Dockyads by 12:30 for a 5 PM departure. do you think this is cutting it too close? If you think that is not enough time for transportation, we will "do" St g on the first day, but we don't arrive till 1 PM, and need to head back to ship for dinner...? Thanks for your advice.

Day One - Arrive 8:00; Colin Jennings for 5-6 hrs, Harbor Nights in Hamilton

Day Two - first ferry to St Georges, spend day there, walk to fort, 4:00 ferry back to Dockyard

Day Three - Bermuda Rail Trail Somerset section, hang out at Dockyard, sightsee, shop before leaving at 4:00

Day 1 - early ferry to St. George; sightsee town; walk or taxi to Tobacco Bay and Ft. Catherine area; back to St. George and take bus to Hamilton; depending on time and how kids are doing - walk and shop in Hamilton or take ferry back to ship; eat late dinner on ship at buffet; Beating Retreat at 9:00 p.m. in Dockyards.Day 2 - take early bus to one of the beaches, probably Horseshoe; bus back to ship to have lunch on ship; spend some time in Dockyards until ready to board for 5:00 departure.

Magar wrote & asked: .......we only have 2 days in Bermuda. We wanted to see the "wench dunking" which is apparently at noon, in St Georges. If we took the earliest ferry from Dockyards to St G, and finished up our visit to St Georges with the wench dunking, we should be making our way back to Dockyards by 12:30 for a 5 PM departure. do you think this is cutting it too close?

If you look at the updated summer ferry schedule, the first ferry, Dockyard to St George is at 10.00am which puts you in SG by 10:45. With the wench dunking at noon, you'll have 1H 15M for touring. The return ferry leaves SG at 12:30pm which gets you to the Dockyard by 1:15.

Most advice on this forum is to schedule departure day activities reasonably close to the docking area, but if you understand the risks involved in being at the other end of the island, go for it. Make sure to have an alternative plan available.

I think for a first time visitor to Bermuda, I would recommend caution but .........

SBtS

Well, SBtS I think you are saying we need to "do" St Georges on day 1 and then day 2 on the dockyards end of the island. I would be horrified if we missed the ship! So, with St Georges on the first afternoon, (we don't arrive till 1 PM) then on the second day, I'm thinking either ferry to Hamilton and then bus back mid day to dockyards area, seaglass, and then departure....OR bus to the Horseshoe Bay Beach area and walk some of the beaches, then bus on back to Dockyards area. Do you have any suggestions for one over the other, or would it just be just a decision of personal interest? Thanks!!

Our plan so far...

Dock at 11am on a Sunday at the Dockyard. Do a afternoon snorkel trip with JessieJames.bm

Monday, early, grab a taxi to Warwick beach, and then hike to Horseshoe, spending a good amount of time at the beaches. Dockyard festival in the evening.

Tuesday, 9am (our final day) a 5 hour tour with Colin. Visiting many sites, Swizzle Inn for lunch. Hopefully to the beach for seaglass as our final stop.

Subject to change. :D

Our plans are pretty simple:

Day 1 (Wednesday) - Horseshoe Bay/Gibbs Hill Lighthouse/Hamilton Harbor Nights

Day 2 (Thursday) - St. George's area

Day 3 (Friday) Dockyard

Day 5 (Sunday) "Wicked" in New York!

We're still narrowing down all the specifics and bought Moon's guide book to Bermuda and will pour over it this week. We're usually much more planned than this, but life has gotten in the way of cruise planning. Can't wait to get there!

Day 3 (Friday) Dockyard

We're still narrowing down all the specifics and bought Moon's guide book to Bermuda and will pour over it this week. We're usually much more planned than this, but life has gotten in the way of cruise planning. Can't wait to get there!

Well hello hawaiilvr...I think you may be my twin.

We are doing Horseshoe, Gibbs on day 1...same as you. We're doing St. George (and caves) day 2...same as you. Day 3 most of the family will be hanging out at the Dockyard area...same as you.

Plus...we are both on the same sailing...if you haven't already joined, check out our roll call and sign up for our meet and greet, and also we are having a poker run/cabin crawl.

Plus...Hawaii is my favorite place ever. I've been twice and am planning another 3 weeks there in the next year or two.

Well hello hawaiilvr...I think you may be my twin.

We are doing Horseshoe, Gibbs on day 1...same as you. We're doing St. George (and caves) day 2...same as you. Day 3 most of the family will be hanging out at the Dockyard area...same as you.

Plus...we are both on the same sailing...if you haven't already joined, check out our roll call and sign up for our meet and greet, and also we are having a poker run/cabin crawl.

Plus...Hawaii is my favorite place ever. I've been twice and am planning another 3 weeks there in the next year or two.

We are going to spend some time on the Railway Trail on the 3rd day. I was talking to my boss, whose wife was raised in Bermuda, and he told me it was essential to do at least a mile on the trail in Somerset and we need to go see the Heydon church and grounds. We are now in information overload mode now. At first, we couldn't find things that we were interested in and worried that we had chosen the wrong itinerary for us. Now, it looks perfect and so many things have piqued our interested. We fly to La Guardia on Saturday! Can't wait!

We ususally try to make it to Hawaii about every 18 months. We're planning our next trip there in November. I was supposed to be moving there in July - had the job, the house up for sale, cats immunized and tested and ready to go, then the agency cut the job, so I'll be a visitor to Hawaii for the forseeable forture. If you have the chance, take the Pride of America cruise to the four islands. It is pricy, but it is the trip of a lifetime.

Edited by hawaiilvr

Day 3 (Friday) Dockyard

How great that I read through this and when I saw Wicked I was like...wow you lucky ducks!! The whole cruise thing...nice but WICKED!! WOW. It is my most favorite play ever. I took my whole family (probably could have cruised for the cost!) it is one of our best memories and one of the most incredible things I have ever seen. If you don't know the music inside and out, get the sound track and start learning it!

If you read the book...it is very much different but the book does help you understand some of the back story. Whats fun about the music is that if you don't know whats going on on stage it can be confusing to understand. Then when you see it you are like....oh thats why Glinda called him that? Or oh this isn't serious he was making fun of those people.

Oh well. We are going to Bermuda in September and you gave me an idea of how to celebrate the end of our cruise....yup.... a PLAY. Oh we can be positively glutinous.

We are going to spend some time on the Railway Trail on the 3rd day. I was talking to my boss, whose wife was raised in Bermuda, and he told me it was essential to do at least a mile on the trail in Somerset and we need to go see the Heydon church and grounds. We are now in information overload mode now. At first, we couldn't find things that we were interested in and worried that we had chosen the wrong itinerary for us. Now, it looks perfect and so many things have piqued our interested. We fly to La Guardia on Saturday! Can't wait!

We ususally try to make it to Hawaii about every 18 months. We're planning our next trip there in November. I was supposed to be moving there in July - had the job, the house up for sale, cats immunized and tested and ready to go, then the agency cut the job, so I'll be a visitor to Hawaii for the forseeable forture. If you have the chance, take the Pride of America cruise to the four islands. It is pricy, but it is the trip of a lifetime.

Let us know how the trip goes!! We are planning our own adventure and I am overwhelmed right now on what to do with two teenage girls that does not include dolphins, shopping, or sunning on a beach. :rolleyes:

Can someone please tell me if my Day 1 itinerary is too ambitious?? FYI we are a young couple, no kids looking to get the most out of our 3 days in Bermuda. And yes, I'm the type that likes to do so much on vacation, that I need a vacation from my vacation :rolleyes: luckily we've got a full sea day after we leave so I can sleep by the pool for most of the day

Day 1 (in no particular order):

Crystal/Fantasy Caves (debating if this is a MUST see, mixed reviews on tripadvisor)

Tobacco Bay (beach & snorkel time)

Unfinished Cathedral

Fort St. Catherine

Hamilton (walk around, shopping)

I found this website to be very helpful in terms of breaking down things to do at the different parishes Bermuda Tourism Info