??did you experience the same??

it was 5 years ago this feb. that my DH and I sailed on Royal -7 day out of San Juan. It was our first cruise. Overall we loved it.

What i thought i would ask from you new and seasoned cruisers:

..were you able to get into the pools and hot tubs? the entire cruise EVERY time they were full. So full someone actually dived over my head.Wanted to but never could get near a hot tub

..evening deck parties, where they crowded shoulder to shoulder?

..lots of VERY drinking, loud people when we were there. Is that the norm?we drink and enjoy laughing and a party. But it was allot ( makes us sound like poops and i swear we are not. Love a good martini or margarita or two.)but there were allot of drunk people starting from noon on.For us it was too much

The food was good, entertainment great and wonderful service.

i am not asklng to be rude or condem RC. But we have never sailed it since and yet read VERY happy reviews. So I thought i would finally voice my hesitation.

i would like to hear your review on these topics.

Many thanks

We've done two cruises on Royal.. both within the past 13 months on Voyager Class of ships and haven't had the experience you describe. It sounds like a bit of a zoo!

I actually very rarely saw anyone in the Solarium (adult) pool. Sometimes there were several people at a time in the hot tubs, but there were also times at night that DH and I were the only 2 in the tub.

We never went to a deck party, so I can't help you there.

Didn't see any many people obviously inebriated, but we didn't spend any time at bars, etc...

I don't know if you see any differences if you go on different size ships, but that was our experience.

Had a GREAT time!

Um, in a word NO... That hasn't been my experience at all!!! My many RCI cruises have been nothing like you describe. I love the Voyager class ships, the largest in the fleet, but they never feel crowded. There's always room in the hot tubs, and in the pools. The deck parties have never been shoulder to shoulder. I've never had a problem getting a table or seat or lounge chair anywhere, at any time I've wanted to. Yeah, I've seen an occasional drunk, but the few I've seen have been more amusing than obnoxious. They're not that common, at least not obvious ones. I've never noticed loud obnoxious people either. I suppose one can have a bad cruise now and then but I never have... Why don't you give it another shot? Or maybe you would prefer a Celebrity cruise? They're a bit more upscale, and while I've never experienced what you did, they might be even closer to what I think you want out of a cruise.

I'm hoping things arn't this bad! My first cruise is coming up and I am really looking forward to it!I will take note of your concerns and give you a reply when I return but I have heard nothing but good things (okay a few bad but ignore them) about RCCI.I will post on my return to give a first cruisers opinion!:)

i did not mean to discourage anyone, thats why i never asked the question before.

Maybe we will try again. I have always read such good reviews.

i never thought to mention it but yes you would expect to see more "drunk" people at the bars LOL !! no, this was poolside afternoon and at dinner. I think we may have had just a "lemon"....

did do celebrity, and liked it very much, but liked the laid back atmosphere of RC but i have been hesitant to try again.

Thanks for the good review.

Not discouraged!! So looking forward to this I will just give you an update when I return!!!:) I cant see how I can have a bad time with no kids.no hubby, just me and my sister!!! But I will give my review and opinions when I return!!

On the AOS, the solarium hot tub was not at all crowded. But here is something you all might want to consider - use the hot tubs in the spa. DH & I often have the hot tub in the spa to ourselves. It is quiet there and we even bring our books! We are not sun worshippers - I am fair skinned and have to limit my time in the sun. So this works great for me.

We will be going on our 10th RCI cruise on 4/9...I have never seen alot of drunk people on the ship.Nothing like we experienced on another line,which shall remain nameless.Young woman falling down drunk,splitting head open,Drunk guy at a lobby bar arguing with the bartender about why his 3 year old son couldnt sit at the bar.That one got ugly...had to call security to resolve that. My DH and I are no strangers to drinking,we enjoy more than a few a day but that type of behaviour is ridiculous.Never,ever,experienced that on RCI.As far as the Hot Tubs...they do tend to get crowded but I think you might find that on any line.Food on RCI is not out of this world but we have never had a real complaint...like most people think...if I am not cooking it or cleaning up after it...it's fine for me.I am glad you are thinking of giving RCI another chance,I can't imagine that you would be disappointed

On the AOS, the solarium hot tub was not at all crowded. But here is something you all might want to consider - use the hot tubs in the spa. DH & I often have the hot tub in the spa to ourselves. It is quiet there and we even bring our books! We are not sun worshippers - I am fair skinned and have to limit my time in the sun. So this works great for me.

Did you have to pay the spa entrance fee to go there or is it open and free to all?

Archived