Sad News - Snorkeling death in Kona

ed_k_tx

Just saw this on local paper website.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/7521292.html

Thoughts and prayers to the family.

Oh how sad & horrible for that family. Can't imagine the flight home for that wife.:( I'm very curious now as to whether they were snorkeling on their own (I'm assuming so) or with a tour company. Not sure if excursions go to this beach or not.

No, I don't know of any excursions that go to that beach. When my husband heard of this, his first reaction was that this must have been due to natural causes as this beach offers some of the easiest snorkeling anywhere. Of course, we don't know if this gentleman ventured too far out into the open water, etc.

Thought and prayers go out to all of his family and friends.

It happened at Kahaluu Beach Park. I stayed at the Outrigger next door and have snorkeled there twice. There are very few places that are more than 8 - 10 foot deep.

He must have died of natural causes...

How sad!! We were just at Kahaluu last week and I didn't see any organized excursions there so I think they were there on their own. It is very easy snorkeling there which makes me think he had a medical problem. I feel so bad for the family.

Once DH and I were snorkling on an RCI island, Coco Cay, when suddenly this man, very close to us, started struggling. His daughter (maybe 13) was on a raft of some kind. She started screaming, so I started waving my arms and calling for help too. I can swim, but not to undertake another struggling man. Between us two, we caught the eye of the life guard, very near by on his water jet ski. He zipped by and towed that guy in. I think he had a heart attack. Glad RCI had provided life guards for just such a thing.

Later on, Dh and I swam out to some anchored rafts and then I discovered I was too tired to make the way back. We didn't rent fins. Had I rented the fins, probably could have made it back. My husband flagged down another lifeguard and I was towed in. Sort of embarrassing, but rather be safe than sorry.

My guess is that guy must have had heart problems. Just an opinion.

Obituaries are always sad, IMHO there is very little relevance here.

People go out and do things all the time. Sadly sometimes bad things do happen some of the time.

Nothing here to suggest any person here looking for info to make any decision about anything.

Archived