Things to do in Crete

csr10236

Hello. I am travelling to the Greek Isles on June 24th on RC for 10 days. I am in charge of planning an excursion/and or things to do in Crete. I'm having a hard time figuring out what to do. Is this a port where we can just go in to the city and wonder around/ and or do the Beach. Any help would be wonderful. Thank you in advance!

Which port will you be visiting? If you are at Heraklion, then Knossos is close enough to get to. The Minoan ruins are spectacular. If you are going to Messina, then there is the Duomo with the noon display and the town of Taormina with the Greek theatre and all the beautiful scenery.

If you are close enough with a Catania or Messina port, you could even do an excursion to Mt. Etna.

I have visited Crete on a cruise stop and went to Knossos before. It's well worth the visit if close enough.

Crete is a beautiful island, we are looking forward to our visit.

Which port will you be visiting? If you are at Heraklion, then Knossos is close enough to get to. The Minoan ruins are spectacular. If you are going to Messina, then there is the Duomo with the noon display and the town of Taormina with the Greek theatre and all the beautiful scenery.

If you are close enough with a Catania or Messina port, you could even do an excursion to Mt. Etna.

I have visited Crete on a cruise stop and went to Knossos before. It's well worth the visit if close enough.

Crete is a beautiful island, we are looking forward to our visit.

SORRY!!!! I was thinking Sicily too! For Crete ignore my post about Messina and Taormina and Mt. Etna.

The two main ports of Crete are Heraklion (sp?) and Souda (near Chania). Knossos is near Heraklion. For Souda you can take a bus into Chania and tour the Venetian Port. There's also supposedly some good beaches near Chania.

Sorry again for combining the two islands. We're headed to both and got confused for a moment.

Crete is a huge island (I believe it is the largest Greek Island) and is worthy of a long vacation..not just a port day. If you are docking in Iraklion you could choose to just spend the day in the city (its walkable from the pier) where there is a great archaeological musuem. lots of restaurant/cafes, decent shopping, etc. But, as I said, its a huge island and there is much to see beyond the city (just Google the place). The ruins at Knossos are quite amazing (did you know they had real toilets in the Bronze Age?). The island also has an interesting landscape and on one trip we simply rented a car and drove to small villages and up in the hills where we explored some caves. In fact, speaking of caves the island has lots of caves open to the public (and others that are desserted but open for exploration). The internet is full of info on this island (and just about anything) so you might start doing your homework online. For starters take a look at this site:

http://www.explorecrete.com/

Hank

Hello. I am travelling to the Greek Isles on June 24th on RC for 10 days. I am in charge of planning an excursion/and or things to do in Crete. I'm having a hard time figuring out what to do. Is this a port where we can just go in to the city and wonder around/ and or do the Beach. Any help would be wonderful. Thank you in advance!

Clarification: the port is Souda.

Archived