Thinking of renting a car or jeep in Cozumel?

truffles2

My husband and I cruised to Cozumel in 2009. We rented a Jeep and toured the island. We basically took a right and drove counter-clockwise around the island. At that time, the H1N1 scare was in full effect so the it was quite deserted. We didn't feel comfortable stopping. We enjoyed the scenery and stopped at Coconuts. The only bar/restaurant on a hill. The best view in Cozumel. Fun place, great guacamole, cold drinks. If you don't mind risque, ask to see the family photo albums.

When we cruised w/ our 2 kids and parents last yr., we rented a Hummer to fit us all. There were alot more people so we stopped at little spots along the way. You actually get to see the unspoiled nature of the island. We again went to Coconuts. That shouldn't take up your whole day (unless you park at a beach). Both times we ended the day downtown at Panchos Backyard.

If I knew how to attach pics. I would post a couple, but I don't.

I think we paid like $50 for the Jeep and maybe $100 for the Hummer.

Scary stuff, for sure. Just off the Oasis and we did rent a Jeep in Cozumel, I constantly thought of worse case scenarios while touring the island. I didnt enjoy it as much as I should have due to the fact that I was constantly observing conditions and my surroundings and looking out for that potential nightmare moment.

Scary stuff, for sure. Just off the Oasis and we did rent a Jeep in Cozumel, I constantly thought of worse case scenarios while touring the island. I didnt enjoy it as much as I should have due to the fact that I was constantly observing conditions and my surroundings and looking out for that potential nightmare moment.

That would be me too. I would be worried and miserable the whole time I was gone. Im so paranoid about things like that, that I hate to even get out of site of the ship

All they want is $$$$ in Mexico......Im about convinced you could get away with ANYTHING as long as you have a pocket full of cash.

I often wonder if sometimes that tourists are set up down there.

This is one of the areas where I will only do organized tours. If you visit the Cozumel boards or just do a search on Cozumel you will find many stories where tourists with the aid of local law enforcement have been literally shaken down.

I personally don't plan to rent a car in any of the foreign cruise ports, just out of general paranoia. But this story didn't really make any impact on that decision. Sounds like this guy is saying that God made him hit the guys on the scooter and break their legs so that he could "save" a soul in prison who had commited what sounds like a pretty serious crime. I'm not really sure I can go along with that thinking.

Of course, if you've read about Kirsty MacColl's death, it does sound like the deck is seriously stacked AGAINST tourists involved in any even remotely serious mishap in Cozumel. The guy who admitted driving the boat that killed her (which he may or may not have been) was sentenced to 2-10 months in prison, but was allowed to pay only $90 to avoid prison, and the restitution to Kirsty's family was based on HIS salary, not hers -- $2150. For KILLING a tourist.

I can't believe we were so naive! We justed rented our vehicles both times and headed out for the day. Of course we were as careful as you would be but ya'll now have me scared to death! Won't do that again! Of course I wasn't looking at Cruise Critic when I went on my last 2 cruises either. These boards are very helpful! Thanks everybody!

That would be me too. I would be worried and miserable the whole time I was gone. Im so paranoid about things like that, that I hate to even get out of site of the ship

All they want is $$$$ in Mexico......Im about convinced you could get away with ANYTHING as long as you have a pocket full of cash.

RyanO,

Exactly. Cash! Corrupt Mexican Mofia. Not much for Law Enforcement there huh?

I can't believe we were so naive! We justed rented our vehicles both times and headed out for the day. Of course we were as careful as you would be but ya'll now have me scared to death! Won't do that again! Of course I wasn't looking at Cruise Critic when I went on my last 2 cruises either. These boards are very helpful! Thanks everybody!

Always enjoy your day, hey, youre on vacation. We rented our Jeep, pulled out to the right and started our way around Cozumel counterclockwise. I was good until I apparently turned too early at a round-about and cut into town. Not a real nice part of town. There were locals yelling at us and walking towards the Jeep as we were coming to stops. I did see a couple of Police vehicles in those area, just not sure they would have been there for us. By the time I made it back out and on the correct path, I popped out just about the area the Forum Shops are at. Sad to say since Im in Law Enforcement myself, but I didn't feel real secure in that non-tourist area and I do know that alot of Mexico revolves around cash. I did carry my local badge with me but wasnt sure if that would necessarily help or not if needed. Enjoy your island and vacation, but dont forget to keep your eyes open and dont put yourself in a situation where those looking to take advantage of you will.

Archived