Dead Sea Question

Lindypc

Hi, we will be swimming in the Dead Sea in a couple of weeks--I was wondering about the sand.....do we need to bring water shoes to walk or can we go barefoot? Any rocks at the shore?

Thanks!

Lynne

I would definitely bring water shoes -- the salt in the sea crystallizes and gets very hard and sharp to walk on. I was very glad I had amphibious shoes. While I was there I saw someone get cut and bleed; needless to say you don't want to have an open cut in that salty, salty water -- OW!

It's definitely a unique experience -- enjoy!

The Dead Sea is a unique experience - but to clarify -you do not "go swimming" there. You go in, float for a few minutes and then rinse off - make sure to rinse well, the salt concentration is very high.

You definitely need water shoes or sandals as the beach is not a sandy beach and the sea bed is not smooth. Also, if you have any cuts don't go in - it will burn very badly.

I walked in without water shoes. It was walking a couple of feet into the long island sound with some pebbles. It didn't cut my feet. the people who had water shoes had problems because it took them days to dry out. here is the picture of me without water shoes....

the water is so buoyant I look like something is going to pop out of my stomach like in "Alien"

IMG_3240.JPG.b721200bb835eff1a79596e0bcde3940.JPG

IMG_2972.jpg.600bbc04f85d1d7d1830b3b33f2ce5df.jpg

We really enjoyed our once-in-a-lifetime Dead Sea "float!" But, as others have said, make sure you bring shoes. You won't need them in the water but, depending on when you go, the walkway down the hill from the entrance (and on the hard surfaces) can become extremely hot!! Our guide told us of an elderly gentleman who, the week before, had to be carried back up because of severe burns he got on the bottom of his feet. We were there on a very hot day and can totally believe this. One piece of advice ... make sure that you wear shoes that can be easily rinsed and washed. I made the mistake of just wearing my leather deck shoes (because I didn't plan to wear them in the water) and it took FOREVER to try to get the salt stains out of them just from dripping and splashing. They still show some stains.

That said, we really loved the experience and the photos that your friends just won't believe.

The area that I was at had a black mud bottom; wasn't sandy.

Suggest water shoes; especially if in an area where the changing rooms are some distance from the water.

The area from the changing rooms to the water was very rocky.

Great experience. Enjoy.

First time in Dead Sea was on Israel side 23 years ago and I "remember" sand and mud. In fact I covered myself in the "healing" mud - guide told us it will keep us young. ( Final results are not in yet!)

More recently on Jordan side it was mostly dark sandy mud where we were.

Dead Sea had shrunk markedly since our first visit.

• 3 weeks later...
Another question about the Dead Sea - are there lockers at the changing areas to leave your stuff in?

Thanks

Frankie

The area that I was at did not have lockable lockers.

The lockers were for clothes only.

We left our valuables on the Tour Bus; the driver stayed at the Tour Bus.

However, there are many areas around the Dead Sea where one can "swim".

So, the area that you may be at just may have lockable lockers.

BTW -- The shoes that I wore were the type that we use for Kayaking here in the States; they dry very quickly

• 3 weeks later...

Just came back from Israel and the Dead Sea. I was told to wear water shoes, which I am glad I did. The real fool of the day, according to my daughter,was, "Mom, I can't believe that you went all the wY ==

Sorry about that last post. My daughter just couldn't believe that we went all the way to Israel and just put our feet into the water instead of changing to swimsuits and really going in.

Archived