Taking along medications/vitamins?

mountainhouse

Any comments on taking these along? I assume I should take a list of medications from my health care provider, just in case I need make an unplanned refill, or give the info to a doc. Seems like I should take everything in their original containers, but I'd rather just take along the pills. Anyone experienced any hassles along this line? Tnx,

I think I'd go on the safe side and take the original containers. I always take a box with dividers for my vitamins, allergy med and Tylenol and never had a problem but those are rather obvious as to what they are.

Susie

I don't know if an original container is a must - because prescription drugs have markers stamped right on the pills, but I would take a list of the prescriptions in case you need emergency refills or end up in ER. In fact, it's a good idea for you to always carry a list of your meds in your purse/wallet in case of emergency. However, we never travel with the original containers - every inch of space we save is another inch I can fill with MY clothes. :D

I always take medications in the original bottle. Never had an emergency where I needed to refill because I always make sure I have enough for the trip. I would think though if you had an emergency where somehow you did not have enough pills etc at least the drug store would know where to call for refills etc.

Marilyn

I'm sure that taking the original containers is the safest way to go and that is how I used to travel particularly for trips that involved crossing multiple borders. But, in the last couple of years, I've switched tactics and now I just take the pills in those little 7 day pill boxes that you can get at drug stores. For a 2 week trip I pack 2 of them....for a 3 week trip I pack 3 of them. It saves a little space in my carry-on and is easier to use during the trip. So far I've never had a single question about them from customs or airport security.

However, if you are traveling with any heavy-duty painkillers or other prescriptions that might have 'recreational' uses I would definately take them in the original containers.

Be aware that some pills when stored in the same container with others lose their potency.

That crossed my mind - I wonder if it happens if they are stored together only a short while? Like the duration of a vacation?

Pharmacists - what do you say?

• 3 weeks later...

I took all my DH's pills in a 14 day pill holder. I listed all the medications and dosages and vitamins on a piece of paper and the doctor's name, address, phone and fax number. Also made a copy of the front and back of insurance card. Put that paper in the pill holder. Because I work in a doctor's office I advised the other friends traveling with us to do the same. One of our friends did get sick and the medical staff on board was very impressed with what he gave them. Carrying all those original containers is a pain.

You need to do what you feel comfortable with.

dh takes a number of prescription pills, some more than once per day, so when we are getting a couple of months out we make sure there are enough meds for the vacation and at least a week after (and speak to the doctor now if not) and save one of each of the empty pill bottles. A few nights before, he counts up what he needs and puts them in their respective prescription bottle. This way we are taking what he needs and feel more comfortable knowing the pills are in their "original" bottles and knowing we'll have no hassles or worries about cross contamination.

We also each carry a list of his meds (and when he takes them) and keep a list with the meds. It's one of the few things we are super organized about, but nothing like stress to make you forget something you are sure you know off the top of your head.

I always take a few days extra in case the "unforseen" happens. If I had to stay on the ship because of a hurricane (as happened last fall when one 7 day cruise became a 9 day cruise) or something I would want to be prepared. A friend who was traveling on 9/11 ran out of pills before he could get home with all the air traffic stopped. That made me a believer in taking pills for extra days.

We always bring along Our prescriptions in their original bottles and a divided plastic holder to separate our pills and vitamins once onboard. ALways bring more than enough but its better to be "Safe than Sorry". Have been on 46 cruises, all lines and We were never stopped or questioned about our medications.Last cruise 3/5/2005......

Archived