Skagway-opinions please

Blondilu

My sister and I are doing The Inside Passage round trip out of Seattle in August. One of the stops is Skagway and I'm interested in the Yukon, Klondike trip up into Canada, but my sister is intimidated by the train part of the trip. I've noticed that there is an excursion on a motorcoach that seems to follow the same route as the train and makes the same stops. Am I reading this right? And what are your thoughts on one versus the other. I would like to take the train myself, but am not married to the idea, it's more the scenic part I'm interested in. Thanks for your answers.

We did the Alaska cruise this past Sept. It was great. We did the bus tour instead of the train ride and we do not regret it. Our guide Tim stopped at so many different sites and we had picture opportunities at each place. The scenery was terrific and he was so interesting with all the facts about Skagway. The town of Skagway is very nice and the people were friendly.

I think you and your sister would enjoy the bus tour!! Alaska is a beautiful place. We've been there twice and would go again in a heart beat. Have a wonderful cruise:)

Carol

We took the train up to Frasier and the bus back to Skagway. The train was FAR better. We plan to take the train again next month as a matter of fact!

The poster specifically wants a Yukon trip. This tour option does NOT get into the Yukon.

My sister and I are doing The Inside Passage round trip out of Seattle in August. One of the stops is Skagway and I'm interested in the Yukon, Klondike trip up into Canada, but my sister is intimidated by the train part of the trip. I've noticed that there is an excursion on a motorcoach that seems to follow the same route as the train and makes the same stops. Am I reading this right? And what are your thoughts on one versus the other. I would like to take the train myself, but am not married to the idea, it's more the scenic part I'm interested in. Thanks for your answers.

No it is NOT the "same" route. The White Pass and Klondike parallel each other, but only have a couple miles of common view. The scenery from the White Pass is superior. AND if you really want the scenic jackpot, then consider the Lake Bennett tour. :) Endless scenery.

Gives me a lot to think about. I am obviously not as clear on the route as I thought, so I'll pull up a map and re-check the routes for each excursion. Thanks for your replies. As usual, the folks on these boards are incredibly helpful.

No it is NOT the "same" route. The White Pass and Klondike parallel each other, but only have a couple miles of common view. The scenery from the White Pass is superior. AND if you really want the scenic jackpot, then consider the Lake Bennett tour. :) Endless scenery.

Is the Lake Bennett tour something you can book directly when booking the White Pass Railway?

Is the Lake Bennett tour something you can book directly when booking the White Pass Railway?

You will have to find out what the White Pass RR offers. IF they aren't contracted with some type of tour, this train, run by them is ONE WAY.

There is a well recommended operator out of Skagway who offers a superb Lake Bennett tour.

We really enjoyed Chilkoot Charter's Yukon Train & Bus Combo. I think the historic train really adds to the whole experience! Let me tell you by the time we got to Skagway, this was our 3rd train ride while in Alaska and we still really enjoyed it! I have a detailed review and photos on my blog to give you an idea of what you'll experience (click on Skagway):

http://moonprincess.com/travel/category/cruises/alaska-2010/

Hope that helps with your decision!

If you have the slightest interest in history, trains, or engineering, I would ride the train for at least part of it. There is much more narration on the train on the way up than on the way back. Riding the train up (and sitting on the left side) and riding a bus back would give you both views.

Dyea Dave has an excellent van trip to Emerald Lake and back. You parallel the train up the valley initially -- on opposite sides of the valley. Having only used one service, I cannot compare for you however.

Archived