The Official LAFFNVEGAS "Live From The MS Westerdam Thread"

LAFFNVEGAS

We were on the Westerdam the week before Laff'n'Vegas. We absolutely fell in love with our cabin Steward, Firdaus. What a sweet gentleman.

Our dining room service was fantastic (Kemal, very funny fellow), but I must say the food was only good to very good. We ate twice in the Pinnacle and that was much better but the over salt the beef.

The shows were pretty lame, but my wife is an opera singer so it isn't our kind of stuff. My wife was a big hit in the piano bar, though, where she sang Till There WasYou and O Mio Babbino Caro.

We had a really great time. Did the renewal of vows with Captain Jack for our 25th Anniversary. He is a bit stiff but very well dressed.

Hope you have a great last day, Lisa and Tom.

[font=Verdana]Good Morning from beautiful and very warm Cozumel Mexico on the MS Westerdam.

Because we go a almost 2 hour late start leaving Grand Caymans due to tendering being so difficult they had announced we would arrive much later in Cozumel but they actually kicked it up a few knots and we were in Cozumel at 9. We were not suppose to arrive till 10 then the had announced yesterday it would be 11. At any rate we are here early.

I feel some what guilty but with my back being extremely sun burnt I decided to sleep in skip the gym this morning. I do plan to do the Pilates class tomorrow morning at 10 AM, the Mariner’s Reception is at 11:30 and the Suite luncheon is at 12:30. Tomorrow will be a busy day despite being our last Sea Day.

The menu tonight does not look at all exciting, plus it is also the night for the Lido BBQ. Thanks to KrazyKruizer’s suggestion we had made reservations for the Lido tonight. Tonight’s the night I get to have my Crème Brulee’ Trio [font=Wingdings]J[/font] We are in Cozumel till 9 PM and a lot of people are eating dinner in town. I would love it but Tom is not a big fan of Mexican Food.

Today in Cozumel we are going on the Atlantis Submarine at 11 AM then plan to do a little bit of shopping. Who knows there might be a piece of jewelry out there calling my name again.

Signing off Live from the MS Westerdam

This “DAM” week is going way too fast [font=Wingdings]L[/font]

Second additional report to Friday, it is now 5:40 and we just got back to our cabin from our day in Cozumel. First we went on the Atlantis Submarine it was just OK. It was interesting yet a little hokey with the way they requested permission to go down. It was kind of like going on the submarines at Disneyland. Not near as many fish as I would of liked to see. Truthfully we saw far more at HMC going on the Eco Lagoon Tour thru the glass bottom boat. I would not recommend this tour for the price. We were last in Cozumel in 2001 at that time we were at the International Pier this time we were at the downtown pier. That made it very easy. We had lunch at Senior Frog’s it was very tasty and I felt it was a safe place to eat but extremely lively. Lots and Lots of Spring Breakers. We then did some shopping, I was thinking of getting a new tanzanite stone to replace in a setting I already have. The tanzanite stone I have is a bit light and I wanted one of the darker ones. I thought the prices were way too high and no matter what, we could not get them down. I had purchased a ring in Ocho Rios that I found in several stores here for almost double the price I paid in Ocho Rios. Then when we were on the Ryndam last November I purchased an amethyst ring there. I found that exact ring all over Cozumel for 3 times what I paid for it in Cabo. I did get a pair of silver hoop earrings that started out being $35 that I ended up paying $15 I guess we just were not destined to spend a lot of money in Mexico this trip.

Well, I must sign off again to get ready to eat in the Pinnacle. The internet service was down this morning so hopefully it is back up and I can give you both of these reports.

Note: I have been looking for Dave’s spy, but just checking to see if Dave caught Tom enjoying a cold one.

Signing off…. In Cozumel Live from the MS Westerdam.

Well, might as well make it a third update since I have not been able to connect to the internet all day. It must have had something to do with being in port in Cozumel. We just left port and it seems that I might possibly have a internet connection now.

Pinnacle was excellent, we both had the filet and for desert I had the crème brulee trio, strange but not all of it had the caramelized top. For some reason they did not do it to the middle one which is vanilla. The people sitting across from us over heard us talking about it so she sent hers back to make sure it was all crunchy. Tom had ordered just a dish of vanilla ice cream with chocolate syrup and they first brought him out the chocolate volcano cake. When they lifted the lid he said it definitely looked a lot more done than the one I had Sunday night. He said I probably should of kept it. Other than that the food and service was excellent.

Tomorrow will be a busy last day. At 10 AM I am doing the Pilates, at 11:45 is the Mariner’s Reception (we received our 25 day pins today) then at 12:30 is the suite lunch up in the Crows Nest.

I guess I will sign off and see if I can get this posted this evening.

Signing off…Live from the MS Westerdam.

[/font]

[quote name='Cruising Jake']If you remove auto tips doesn't that impact everyone else. Your excellent room steward would suffer.[/QUOTE]
I would hope the room steward would not suffer ... hence, the detailed letter.

I guess I have a different philosophy about tipping. To me, a tip is for service that goes above and beyond. It is not something that should be a matter of course, as has become in today's society. Now, of course, on a ship I realize that these folks make a very minimal wage because Holland America factors their tips into the equation. Therefore, as long as service is adequate ... even if not above and beyond ... I will always leave the auto-tips in place.

But if service was sorely lacking ... and despite repeated attempts to rectify the situation there was no improvement ... yes, I would most definitely remove the dining room stewards' tips. The letter would detail my reasons for so doing and would take pains to explain that the service deficiencies had nothing to do with my cabin steward. In fact, if he was exceptionally good, I would take the time to stress that fact in my letter.

Unfortunately, I just cannot give a tip to someone who consistently gives me poor service ... especially when I paid an arm and a leg for the cruise.

It's just my nature.

Blue skies ...

--rita

My spy did snap a shot of Tom grabbing a cold one on Informal night, but since he had doffed his jacket I didn't want him to get a repuation as one of those "i'll dress casual if I want" kind of guys. Still, if you really want to see it...

[img]http://www.scruffyduffys.com/images/beer/boy-tap.jpg[/img]

:) -dave

[quote name='dakrewser']My spy did snap a shot of Tom grabbing a cold one on Informal night, but since he had doffed his jacket I didn't want him to get a repuation as one of those "i'll dress casual if I want" kind of guys. Still, if you really want to see it...

[img]http://www.scruffyduffys.com/images/beer/boy-tap.jpg[/img]

:) -dave[/QUOTE]

Dave, I thought I saw that guy sneeking around.:D

[font=Verdana]Saturday March 19th 2005 our lat Sea Day and our last full day [font=Wingdings]L[/font]

I played lazy this morning and slept in till 8 and not getting up early to go to the gym but I am about to go up and take that Pilates class at 10 AM. In writing this I see we will again have no internet service. I certainly hope that returns since I still have 57 minutes to use. Last night we received our 25 day Mariner Pins so after my Pilates class we will go to the Mariner’s Reception.

I am not back from Pilates, I guess I am not as good of shape as I thought I was:o Today looks like another great day outside with blue skys and smooth seas. It is about time to go to the Mariner's Reception, it will be interesting to see how many are there. I will report back this afternoon.

Signing off....Live from the MS Westerdam
[/font]

Sadly, and with regret, Lisa bids a fond farewell to her home at sea.....

[url="http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.stockphotography.co.uk/Upload/Stock/11127.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.stockphotography.co.uk/Store/App/catalog.asp%3FCT%3D303&h=120&w=96&sz=3&tbnid=Ts-W6HgBJ6gJ:&tbnh=83&tbnw=66&start=21&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dgirl%2Btantrum%26start%3D20%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26safe%3Doff%26rls%3DGGLD,GGLD:2005-10,GGLD:en%26sa%3DN"][img]http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:Ts-W6HgBJ6gJ:www.stockphotography.co.uk/Upload/Stock/11127.jpg[/img][/url]

while poor Tom had to find some way to pay off their shipboard account!:rolleyes:

[img]http://www.portcities.org.uk/london/upload/img_200/PW4966.jpg[/img]

Welcome back to the land of the dreamcruisers!

-dave

That darn internet was down most of the afternoon and morning so here is my final report. And yes Dave you pictured Tom and I perfectly. The bags are pack and about ready to put them out in the hall way.

[font=Verdana]Live from the MS Westerdam, Good Afternoon this could possibly be my last report. Where did the week go??? I am so thankful that I have 3 more vacations to look forward to this year. May 11th We will be going to Maui, Hawaii (not a cruise) for 5 days, July 9th we will be cruising on the Maasdam to New England/Canada and October 8th we will be back on the Oosterdam doing the Mexican Riviera.

Over all this has been a great week, we could not ask for calmer seas or more beautiful weather. Yes, it is Spring Break and there are the most kids on board that I have ever seen on a HAL ship with the exception of some girls about 10 to 12 riding the elevators and being obnoxious the kids on board have been well behaved.

We attended the Mariner’s Reception and the Suite luncheon this morning and afternoon. The Mariner’s Reception was nice the relief Captain Dirk Van Den Berg took over after Captain Jack left in Ocho Rios. Captain Dirk is quite jovial and friendly I would like to get to know him better. Also for the second half our hotel manager is Nick Burger. The Mariner’s Reception seemed to be well attended but not as many as we saw on the Ryndam but still a good turn out. A large number were in the 25 to 49 days like ourselves. Our tablemates all sat together and we were all in that category. Several medals given plus 1 platinum medal. There were probably about 20 up on stage with medals. They also gave out employee pins for 15 and 25 years of service. There were 4 employees getting those. I did notice on this cruise several employees wearing these pins some with diamond chips in them.

The Suite Luncheon was nice but not that very well attended. For all the Suites they have on the Westerdam I expected to see far more at the Luncheon. I can honestly say there were far more in attendance at the Suite Luncheon on the Ryndam with far less suites than there were here. The food was basically the same with less selection for deserts. The other thing I noticed on the Ryndam the Officers would go from table to table and talk to all the suite passengers. I did not see that done here. I looked around shortly after we were sitting down and all of them were gone. All that were there was the Pinnacle Staff to help with the buffet food. This was also the same on the Suite Reception the first night we were about 15 minutes late due to having the 6:15 dinner but all the officers had left with the exception of the Hotel Manager. I guess Captain Jack was only there a few minutes.

This really has been a good cruise and I dread having to pack, Tom just pulled his suit case out to start.[font=Wingdings]L[/font]

If in some areas I did not sound impressed I think it was because our last cruise was on the Ryndam. That was our first suite, plus it had just finished going thru their SOE and the Ryndam being a smaller ship. I can now see why so many like the smaller ships. We are looking forward to going on the Maasdam for a better comparison.

If anything exciting happens tonight I will report, otherwise this will be my final sign off.

We have so far sailed 1760 nautical miles and have 194.1 nautical miles remaining and it is currently a cool 68 degrees, coolest day so far and it is almost sunset.

Signing off form the MS Westerdam.

[/font]

[font=Arial Black][size=3]Lisa,[/size][/font]

[font=Arial Black][size=3] Did you get to talk to Nick Burger? We met him and his wife at a cruise show in Portland, Oregon about a month ago. They were very nice and easy to talk to. He was kind enough to answer my endless questions about HAL,which was nice because the HAL rep there was giving me the wrong info. :eek: Thanks for the play by play of your cruise. Glad to know that you have another already lined up so you won't suffer "cruise withdrawal".:) [/size][/font]

[font=Arial Black]Lisa--[/font]

[font=Arial Black][/font]
[font=Arial Black]Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your wonderful week on [i]Westerdam[/i]![/font]
[font=Arial Black]You and look very glamourous in your formal night pix! All that time in the gym certainly is well spent![/font]
[font=Arial Black]We had Capt Van Den Berg on Oosterdam, and he does seem like a very social fellow - but then again, he did meet his wife on board, didn't he?[/font]
;)

[font=Arial Black]You don't mention much of the Neptune Lounge - did you not use it that much?[/font]
[font=Arial Black]Also - were you reimbursed at all for your unused internet minutes?[/font]
[font=Arial Black]Thanks again, and Welcome Home![/font]

Want to thank you for all the wonderful reviews from the Westerdam. I was on her in January and hope that the bad food and service were just a fluke as that is what I love about Holland. Had dinner in the cabin which was perfect as well all the room service and breakfasts on the verandah. Next cruise will be Maasdam in May and can already hear the Neptune coffee calling. Have a safe trip home.

Lisa, Thanks very much for putting in so much time and effort to compile your daily diary. It was nearly as good as being there! We sail on the Westerdam the first week of April and appreciate all of the information your write-ups provided. Welcome home.

Mary

Hi Everyone, I was amazed to find out that the FLL airport also has free WiFi so I thought I would post and answer a few questions.

First Disembarkation went so easy, almost to easy. Only one or two poeple were asked to go to the front desk. Itprobably took us at the most 10 minutes to get off the ship. We came in at pier 26 and getting a taxi to the airport was also quick and painless. Check in for United was also quick the only bad part is there were no more economy plus seats and my connection in Las Vegas must have forgot to help us or there just was not any left.

One thing I must mention was about the Lido, it was never busy.I found that amazing. Even this morning we went there about 7:50 for breakfast and there were plenty of window tables to pick from. I sang a chorus of "You are My Sunshine" the the guy whos says he is Hunky Dorey's brother and he remembered y name this morning. We ate in the Lido every morning for breakfast except the first mrning when we had Room Service. The food was always great in the Lido.

Brian, you asked about the Neptune. Oh yes, we used the Neptune at least 3 to 4 times a day. After I was in the gym early in the morning I would stop by afterwards to get my latte before showering and Tom would already stopped in there for a early morning snack. On port days we eaithere did not have a lunch or had a small lunch in town so in the afternoon would just grab a small snack from the Neptune. Also in the afternoon I would enjoy aq white chunk macadamia cookie and a pecan cookie with either a latte or a ice tea with cranberry juice in it. We actually used the Neptune a lot we just did not stay in the Neptune we usually took our goodies back to our room to set out on the balcony. Brian I wished I was reimbursed for my internet charge. I did used up every minute last night to the last second. Not sure if any one from HAL knew who we were or knew about the thread, nothing was ever said.

I have to admit that it was worth every penny to be able to do this. It was so much fun and from this end we had lots of good laughs from Dave's pictures. It was really easy to upload my daily pictures and do the daily report. This to me was much better than attempting to write a report once we get home. I will try to get all my pictures uploaded to Web Shots this week with comments under each picture. That is the part that takes a lot of time. I did get some really good pictures this week.

Would you believe we did not go to any shows this week, basically there were just not any that interested us. We found it more relaxing just going to the Explorer's Lounge to have a drink after dinner and listen to the Champagne Strings. I guess we are just not the big party animals but that is why cruising is fun for so many people because of all the different things that are offered.

Also you know how I complained about the service in the Main Dining Room,you would of thought that service would of been a bit better in hopes of getting a little bit extra for a tip well, it was not. Last night was the worst. We had a table for 6 and everyone was enjoying desert when we had not even been served our main entree. I was just amazed. They had already sung their farewell songs and still no Prime Rib finally it arrived by that time of just sitting there I was not hungry. By the time the handed us desert menus most of the dining room was empty. That is definitely an area that needs big improvement.

Overall it really was a great week, it is so sad to leave the ship. I just do not know where that week goes.

I want to Thank Everyone here that read and commented you are all so wonderful. This really has been a lot of fun. My next edtion will be "Live from the MS Maasdam July 9th."

We won't get home till about 10:30 EST tonight so it will be a long day, we have to go thru Washington DC to get to Las Vegas so.....

Signing off Live from the Fort Lauderdale Airport.

Thanks so much for you live review. It has been the highlight of my day, reading your activities. We're on the Westerdam in December and I hope HAL can sort out the problems in the dining room before then. This will be our first HAL cruise, having sailed Celebrity 3 times previously, so I'm a little concerned about this aspect.

Hope you had a safe and not too uncomfortable journey home. Economy is pretty rough after a great holiday of pampering!

Sue

Lisa, thanks so much for your "As you go review." I too couldn't wait everyday to check this thread to see how and what you were doing. Can't wait to see the pictures. We too have to go thru Washington on the return to the bay area in Dec. Hope your flights are smooth and you arrive in Vegas safely...:)

Archived