Motion sickness - cold symptoms rather than nausea

Ronsangel

My DH and I have only ever been on one cruise 5 years ago. At the time, we took bracelets, Gravol (Canadian equiv. of Bonine), ginger pills, etc with us in case one of us experienced motion sickness. It took us 2 days to realize that the "cold" DH came down with was actually motion sickness, and his symptoms were cleared up by using the pressure bracelets.

My question is - has anyone ever had more cold/sinus symptoms rather than nausea due to motion sickness? And if so, what else works to resolve them? The bracelets worked, but I'm sure he'd prefer not to look like he's wearing sweatbands on his wrists all week, but I have to think Bonine, ginger, etc. would only help with nausea. Any tried and true remedies? I'm particularly concerned as we have an aft cabin, and I've heard there could be some extra motion back there.

One week to go before we step onto the Ruby! :)

My dh used Sudafed (pseudoephedrine) on the plane as well as on board. He suffers more from sinus pressure and had no problems on our trip. He doesn't get nausea/motion sick but for sinus trouble, he did great. I know in the states here,you have to ask for it at the drugstore counter as it is monitored due to misuse here. I hope this info helps..have a great trip!

Michelle

Just a note about Sudafed. I also suffer from sinus pain, and although Sudafed decongestant is only available from the pharmacy counter, you can still find Sudafed PE in the aisles. For me, it's been a good alternative. As far as the sinus connection to motion sickness, I've never made that connection as the sinus symptoms have been the same, whether on land or sea.

My question is - has anyone ever had more cold/sinus symptoms rather than nausea due to motion sickness? And if so, what else works to resolve them? The bracelets worked, but I'm sure he'd prefer not to look like he's wearing sweatbands on his wrists all week, but I have to think Bonine, ginger, etc. would only help with nausea.

Sounds totally flooey to me. Motion sickness is, essentially, something that happens in the inner ear and the brain. I can't believe that it would cause sinus congestion...or whatever other "cold" symptoms you're talking about. Cough? Sneezing? What?

Also, though many people swear by motion bands, the scientific evidence available thus far shows them less effective than bonine (and probably ginger). May well be a case of the placebo effect. Since the theoretical reason behind them is stimulation of an acupressure point linked to nausea, not nasal congestion, why - even, maybe particularly, if you believe in acupressure - would they clear your sinuses?

It may be that his "cold" was actually an allergic reaction to something. The bands would not have helped, it was just a coincidence.There are lots of otc medicines to alleviate sinus problems...take your pick!

We were on Emerald Princess on her second cruise in 2007. I had cold symptoms then realised that it was an allergy, probably to new varnish or something like that. I had to take anti histamines for the duration of the cruise.

My DH, who never has sinus issues, has had them on every Princess cruise we've been on.....The doctor took a guess that he may be allergic to whatever they use in their laundering or in cleaning the rooms. He prescribed him and allergy nose spray to use during the duration of the cruise, and that has helped tremendously. The nose spray was great and doesn't cause drowsiness like some medications can.

Archived