Cruising with a one year old!

jrosesmith84

We are set to cruise on Carnival Dream May 14-21 and are going to Cozumel, Belize, Isla Roatan, and Costa Maya. This is my first time cruising and I am taking my 14 month old daughter. I am looking for any and all info that anyone can share with me. We were told they are going to provide a crib for us and Im wondering if its an actual crib or like a pack n play? What is there for her to do? How is the babysitting? My husband is not going with us and is writing a letter to show I have his permission to take her on and off the ship. Has anyone had trouble with this? I am interested in anything anyone has to share with me!! Thanks in advance! :)

Its more like a pack n play or so Im told. They fold up so they can carry them down the hallways and get them around corners. I had a cabin next to the storage for the pack n plays, so I got a good look at them.

Camp Carnival wouldnt take them until they are 2 as you probably know, but I hear you can play with them in there during the lunch hour with the toys.

Babysitting is up there as well, not in your cabin and not free like camp.

The waiters and stewards dote on kids so Im sure yours will be no different.

Babysitting for younger than two is only available while in port and after 10PM, and yes, for a fee.

High chairs are readily available. Swim diapers are NOT allowed in the pools.

We have seen tons of babies on our cruises. While we waited for our little one to turn two, it sure makes a wonderful vacation for all!

Catrin

Our daughter had her first birthday on the Holiday. I wore her around the ship in my ergo. It's not much of a break to travel with little ones like that, but it is still a vacation. When we have had cribs, they were not pack 'n plays, but rather metal port-o-cribs. I'd bring an umbrella stroller to navigate the ship with baby rather than a full size stroller. Babysitting is 10p-3 at $6 per hour. Our youngest son went on his first cruise at 6 months, so I have BTDT with the babies. You are pretty much tied to baby 24/7, but it is still nice to get away :) They will have a high chair waiting at your table in the MDR every night.

Hi!

• It's an actual crib (metal). Unfortunately, your child won't be able to participate in any of the structured activities provided at Camp Carnival (your child must be at least 2 years of age).

• Babysitting is available at Camp Carnival at night only (after 10pm). I believe the charge is $6/child/hour. We never used it.

• There will be some 45 minute play sessions on sea days where your child can play at Camp Carnival. These are supervised sessions, meaning that you must stay with your child.

• Do A LOT of research! We are seasoned cruisers and still, some things caught us off guard.

• Select Any Time dining. That way you can go to the main dining room when you are ready, and not at a pre-set time.

• Don't book shore excursions, even if they are listed as "infant friendly". We did one excursion with our 12 month old, and it was challenging. It was a "2 hour excursion" that turned out to be close to 4 when you added waiting time before and after the excusrions, with no changing facilities.

• Be prepared for not being able to attend or participate on every show or activity you'd like to. You may want to, but your baby might not.

• Pack lightly! Cabins are on the small side. We just brought a compact stroller and a small diaper bag. Everything else was packed in our suitcase.

• Have fun! The cruise experience with a baby is very different than when you travel without one, so be aware of that. You can read my review below if you're interested

Archived