Booking our cruise - questions....

bethtogo

Last time we sailed a few years ago, I booked through vacations to go and at any time if the price of the cruise went down, that was our new price. Simple. I keep reading on here about "early saver" and not sure what that means. We picked out a cruise for april of 2012. Should I book now or wait and see if/when goes down? Is ES a promotion that only Carnival uses and since i booked with vacations to go that is why I'm not familiar with it? I just want to make sure I do the right thing as far as getting the best price and being able to get the lowest price if it drops after I book it. Have never booked this far out before tho. Will I get a discount since we have sailed Carnival before ? Thanks in advance for any advice!

You might want to read the rules, since its against CC rules to mention any TA by name, so this thread might not last long.

No TA can discount and you will not get a better price by going thru such a TA. Some TAs do offer perks, but since you arent mentioning any, why use a TA?? Then you have to go thru them if the price drops.

ES is a rate which allows no changes, even before final payment without paying a fee, and your deposit is non refundable, and no name changes are allowed (uncle bob is sick, cant put aunt mildred in his place like other rates), no downgrades.

If you are ok with all these restrictions, then book, but myself Id book direction so I can see the billing details on the carnival site and put in for my own price drops.

ALL rates give price changes up until final payment.

As Fire said, booking ES will give you the best rates (including any that TA's can give you). ES is relatively new (couple of years maybe) and exclusive to Carnival. As long as you can deal with the restrictions, it's great because you can take advantage of any price drops until (I think) 2 days before sailing. With the regular rates, you can take advantage only until final payment. If you are unable to go on the cruise, you can move your booking to another cruise within a year ($50 fee per person to do so, I believe).

Carnival has made it virtually impossible for TA's to give you a better deal, so you may as well book directly with Carnival.

As far as being a past guest, they will sometimes offer Past Guest rates, but I've never seen them be as low as ES. They are better than the normal rates though.

Hope this helps!

Archived