Passports when traveling to Alaska?

CruiseDreamer28

I've seen some really good info re: passports and the Carribbean, but what about Alaska? Is it necessary to have a passport? We leave on May 22 (about six weeks from now) and I've had to send for my birth certificate out of state. I was told it could take weeks. I don't think there's time for a passport. I fear that if I send my birth certificate in with my application for a passport that I won't have either one in time. Any suggestions?

First, Okie, you should be ashamed of yourself for being so rude! Alaska is state # 49. Hawaii is state # 50. So, who didn't go to History class??

Second, cruise dreamer: you have a very legitimate question. When we cruised to Alaska in 2002 we did take our passports. We knew that we were going to take an excursion back into Canada, and figured it would be easiest and best to take them along. It made things much easier, and it can NEVER hurt to take one with you. In fact we don't travel (even domestically) without our passports.

Now, as far as getting one...there is a way you can get one expedited, but I don't want to give you misinformation. I highly recommend that you go to [url="http://www.travel.state.gov/passport_services.html"]www.travel.state.gov/passport_services.html[/url]

there, you can check out alot of options. Be forwarned though, the state department claims to be inundated with passport requests, and the fee is higher for expedited requests. Only you can make the decision to get one and take it with you...but I would check out this website for 'official' guidance.

Happy sailing!

7/02 NCL Wind - Alaska (honeymoon)
7/03 NCL Star -Hawaii (1st anniversary)
10/04 RCI Legend - Panama Canal (just because it's there)

Okie - I figured you more seasoned cruisers would be aware that Alaska cruises do in fact travel through Canada. I guess I should have mentioned it. Actually I've been told that all cruises leaving and returning from US ports must have at least one stop outside of the US. Perhaps you haven't gotten the same information.

Jamminlion - Thanks for the info! How long did it take to get your passports via the regular process?

cruisedreamer,

I got my original passport back in 1990 - and it took 4 or 5 weeks. I got a new one in 2000, and that took the same amount of time.

Again, I highly recommend the website. With something this important (especially in the world after 9/11) I wouldn't even trust a TA's advice on this one. Go right to the source. And, even through the US and Canada are very friendly - crossing the border may be more strict than ever!

Good luck to you!

7/02 NCL Wind - Alaska (honeymoon)
7/03 NCL Star -Hawaii (1st anniversary)
10/04 RCI Legend - Panama Canal (just because it's there)

Many of my fellow Alaska cruise passengers in 2003 carried birth certificates and photo ids and had no difficulty. You should be fine with that.

But let me suggest that you apply for a passport when you get back from your cruise. I have noticed it's easier and quicker to use a passport even for domestic travel

Sandy

Grand, 2/8/04
Star, 8/30/03

• 2 weeks later...
Just an FYI, because it seems there is a little confusion here....

All cruises to Alaska (at least those on the major cruise lines) require you to have either your passport OR birth certificate with photo i.d. This is because of the required stop in Canada. They will not let you board the ship without one of the two.

Sapphire Princess 6/20/04 (honeymoon)

• 2 weeks later...
I always carry a passport, even trips within the US. No, you don't need a passport to travel to Alaska, as long as there is no stop in Canada, but you wil need photo ID for obvious reasons. Just get the passport for this and future travel. As mentioned above, they are good for such a long time and you will be traveling again..

Pete...

Since you dont have a passport your birth certificate and state issued id is all you will need. Do Not take the chance and send your birth certificate in for a passport at this late date.

Going NOWHERE
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;10;22;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

Miracle, February 13, 2005
Legend, October 22,2004
Voyager August 31,2003
Victory September 22,2002
Regal Empress,June 2001
Sensation,August 2000

Archived