The Deed Is Done: Commodore Christopher Rynd

bobby1119

Have never sailed with him before. Looking forward to experiencing his style.

http://blogs.mirror.co.uk/captain-greybeard/2011/04/cunard-names-kiwi-commodore.html

Hi Bobby....thank you so much for posting this wonderful news. I can assure you that you will find the new Commodore's "style" most pleasing. He is the most approachable man who always seems able to give you his undivided attention and his charming wife is no doubt his greatest asset....and for Cunard as well I might add. Absolutely two of the most delightful people I have been privileged to meet on a Cunard ship. We had lovely chats about our Golden Retriever fur kids!

My heartiest congratulations to this fine man...well deserved. I'll look forward to seeing him back on QM2 where I first met them. Such grand news....:D

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continued...did it ever!

October 16,2008...the “Affair” goes transatlantic as we sail in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage...what a thrill!

December 9, 2008....the “Affair” resumes again....Life is good!

July 30, 2009....transatlantic again...some “Affairs” just get better

August 7, 2009....the “Affair” goes on...this time “home” to Norway

Feb. 7, 2010....the “Affair” takes a sunny detour when Penny meets a Princess

Aug 14, 2010....the “Affair” returns to Norway, all the way to the top!

2011...North to Alaska!! A wilderness tour and cruise....sorry Cunard.

Excellent news! While Cunard has many fine Captains, Chris Rynd is an excellent choice - I've sailed with him on both QE2 and QM2 - and he ran a tight ship, just as it should be...and was also often out and about chatting with passengers.

I think you will be pleased, Bobby. Commodore Rynd is very personable and approachable. His lovely wife Julie is equally so. I think Cunard made a wise choice promoting him. I was honored once when our paths crossed on the QM2 and he stopped and initiated a conversation with me. Also Mrs. Rynd, atleast a while ago, was known to read these boards!

WONDERFUL news!! Cunard made a excellent choice!

Paul and Peter, looks like our vote did count :D and Paul, maybe we'll get lucky and The Commodore will be with us in Sept.

Congratulations to Commodore Rynd.

Whenever he's aboard QM2 during a transatlantic, we shall rest well knowing that the vessel is in the charge of a Kiwi who's accustomed to being awake whilst we slumber:)

Best regards, now and in the future.

Congratulations to Commodore Rynd. A question from someone who is going on their first cruise in 3 weeks (QM2 transatlantic): What is the role of the Commodore in comparison to the Captain? Will he be in charge of the May 10 QM2 sailing?

Sorry if it's a dumb question!

Congratulations to Commodore Rynd. A question from someone who is going on their first cruise in 3 weeks (QM2 transatlantic): What is the role of the Commodore in comparison to the Captain? Will he be in charge of the May 10 QM2 sailing?

Not a stupid question. And sorry I can't answer whom will be the ship's master in three weeks. I can tell you that the role of the Commodore is the same as the ship's captain. The Commodore is the line's senior captain.

According to the Cunard website, retiring Commodore Bernhard Warner left the QM2 on April 19 and Captain Paul Wright took command. So Captain Wright should be your Captain in May. How exciting to be going on your first cruise. You have chosen a fabulous ship and I'm sure you will have a wonderful experience. Bon Voyage!

Our heartiest congratulations!

We recently met the Commodore and his wonderful wife, Julie, on the Victoria's crossing from Fort Lauderdale to Southampton at the cruise critic meet and greet and fully concur that they are an absolutely delightful couple.

His handling of the crossing, with one ill passenger having to be put off on the pilot boat shortly after leaving Bermuda, a midnight "emergency" (later proven to be a false alarm) that scared many passengers and crew to bits, the unfortunate death of a passenger, and, on a happier note, the rescue at sea and release in the Azores of a lost and exhausted Osprey, christened Albert whilst on board, show that he is capable of handling any and all situations with calm and grace.

Again, congratulations and all our best to Christopher and Julie. Tom and Ken

Archived