How Does QE Compare to QE2 & QM2?

Classiccruiser777

My wife and I are thinking of taking a cruise on the QE. We have taken cruises on the QE2 and QM2 and would like to know what others think of the new QE relative to the QE2 & QM2.

Also, we would be interested in booking an unobstructed balcony and would like any specific cabin recommendations. Thank you all very much.

my wife and i are thinking of taking a cruise on the qe. We have taken cruises on the qe2 and qm2 and would like to know what others think of the new qe relative to the qe2 & qm2.

Also, we would be interested in booking an unobstructed balcony and would like any specific cabin recommendations. Thank you all very much.

The corner cabins, eg 4054. Balcony far larger than standard - partially overlooked by a few balconies above, but half is under the overhang and completely private.

I imagine it bothered those overlooking my unlovely self far more than it did me.

Mary:)

Any particular reason? Just curious:).

Mary

That's the cabin we stayed in during our recent 3 week cruise around the far east. It is at the aft of the ship and has a nice balcony with no obstructions. The other advantages we found were that you did not have to use the lift to get access to the Lido or the pool area at the back of the ship as they were only two flights up. No doubt all the cabins around this area - both port and starboard are similar ( they look like it on the deck plan). I suppose I would have said the same if we stayed in another cabin around this area!

Hi, Mary...

We have an aft, corner cabin on Deck 4 for an upcoming cruise on the Queen Elizabeth. We chose it, in part, because of the wrap-around vista (we'll be in the Norwegian Fjords), the mesmerizing wake, the cabin's proximity to the promenade and public rooms below and because the verandah is a bit wider than those on higher decks. We had the identical accomodations on a Holland America ship through the Panama Canal, so we know what we're getting.

But I'd be happy with almost any balcony cabin!

Happy sailing.

My friend told me last month he had booked a world cruise segment on the new QE next year, and I said we might join him for part of it. A few days later I saw an offer for a five day trip up and down the channel in August and booked it as a sampler.

Only then did I open my "Berlitz Guide to Cruising" and saw that near-identical sister ship Queen Victoria only rates 3*+ out of six. I then checked various internet reviews of QE and found many of them to be less than flattering.

The QE2 and QM2 are proper ocean liners, with excellent standards and ratings and it seems Carnival are trading on the back of this great tradition with a second rate product, i.e. Q.V. & Q.E.

By September I'll have my own opinion, which I will be happy to post.

The QE2 and QM2 are proper ocean liners, with excellent standards and ratings and it seems Carnival are trading on the back of this great tradition with a second rate product, i.e. Q.V. & Q.E.

By September I'll have my own opinion, which I will be happy to post.

Hello Bollinge

Having sailed on QE2, QM2 and QV I can assure you that QV is not "second rate".

All three ships are different from each other, with many good and one or two poor points to each.

While it is true that QE2 was, & QM2 is a liner, that does not mean that cruise ships are always inferior with regard to the atmosphere on board.

I am looking forward to crossing and cruising on QM2 and a voyage on QE.

I am sure you will be pleasantly surprised in September, Bon Voyage.

Hello Bollinge

Having sailed on QE2, QM2 and QV I can assure you that QV is not "second rate".

All three ships are different from each other, with many good and one or two poor points to each.

While it is true that QE2 was, & QM2 is a liner, that does not mean that cruise ships are always inferior with regard to the atmosphere on board.

I am looking forward to crossing and cruising on QM2 and a voyage on QE.

How I agree:). It's subjective of course but I, and others, prefer QV and QE to QM2 for a cruise. It's all a question of scale, and QM2 is too large for my taste, although I would go on her again pretty sharpish... The atmosphere and passenger mix on all three ships is very similar, and that's largely what makes the whole experience hugely enjoyable.

Are we not blessed that Cunard provides for more than one opinion?

Mary

I have just returned from a 10 day trip on QV, dining in Britannia with a balcony cabin on deck 8 and the ship was beautiful, the food and service were excellent. I don't know or care where the 3* rating comes from, the QE is a very classy ship.

I have just returned from a 10 day trip on QV, dining in Britannia with a balcony cabin on deck 8 and the ship was beautiful, the food and service were excellent. I don't know or care where the 3* rating comes from, the QE is a very classy ship.

I second that - not sure where these star ratings come from but after 19 days on the QE all I can say is that I would rate it 6*. If the QE is "second rate" I would love to travel on a "first rate" ship !!

I loved the QE2. I like the QM2 for her wonderous portions but she has never given me the that "warm, fuzzy feeling" like the QE2.

The QE.......the warm fuzzies have returned.

In speaking with other passengers onboard.. many of then long time QE2 devotees... they were all feeling the warm fuzzies, too.

Go, enjoy... and rebook!

A familiar theme in the reviews I read are complaints about pokey bathrooms, fixed head showers, lack of drawer space in the cabins, plastic teak-effect decking, and narrow corridors.

I don't expect to find any of that when I sail on QM2 next Monday :rolleyes: (smug grin)

A familiar theme in the reviews I read are complaints about pokey bathrooms, fixed head showers, lack of drawer space in the cabins, plastic teak-effect decking, and narrow corridors.

I don't expect to find any of that when I sail on QM2 next Monday :rolleyes: (smug grin)

You'll find small bathrooms if you are in Britannia.

And storage space is nothing to write home about.

Whilst there is teak on the decks, is this really what makes a ship special? You had better check out Carnival, and have some fun on their teak decks.

The corridors on QM2 may be a little wider, but they are still terribly long...

Isn't the thing that really counts the on board experience - which relies so much on the crew?

WD

I was just surprised that Dougie Ward of the Berlitz Guide - whose opinions I respect - rated QV so poorly, alongside several elderly Carnival vessels sharing the same 3*+ rating. We have travelled on Carnival and are unlikely to do so again............

We have been on QM2 before and many times on QE2, in fact I used to work aboard as that particularly persistent and annoying photographer. Yes, that was me!

We'll see how we get on with QM2 next week and QE in August.

I'm sure we'll enjoy both trips.

Archived