John Heald is not the answer...

neo-cruiser

yes,but he neglects to inform how one should go about getting these things done, taking them offline to the process, and should he not complete the task, you will have an unhappy cruiser.

I think most sensible people who make requests of John understand that he isn't God and that success isn't guaranteed. There will always be "people who suck" and "just don't get it". These are no different than the people who don't interact with John at all but think they have a "right" to all their ports of call and become infuriated when a port is skipped due to unavoidable circumstances - you just can't reason with some people and you'll encounter them everywhere. A sense of entitlement isn't limited to people who make requests of John.

There is no way that someone "should be getting these things done" - there are various ways of getting them done. Just because some people on cruisecritic think I shouldn't be asking John for help obtaining a table for two because I could ask the Maitre D' upon embarkation isn't going to stop me because I know that John is the only avenue to an increased chance of such a table when seating assignments have not been finalised.

John invites and encourages such requests, not by "continuing to cater to every request people make" but by literally spelling out what he is prepared and happy to do in clear English on his blogs and Facebook posts. When people on cruisecritic say "you shouldn't be asking John", what they are also saying is "John shouldn't be offering" and that's really up to him isn't it?

There is no rigid, set in stone way of doing things. If you followed the "You can ask the Maitre D' (even though it might not be as effective) so do not ask John" rationale, you could also say that Carnival and John should be hiring teams of marketing analysts (which I'm sure they do anyway) to research cruiser sentiment rather than ask us to respond to questions on his blog and his Facebook page regarding the services offered by Carnival. John's relationship (and Carnival's by proxy) with cruisers on his blog and Facebook page is a symbiotic one. He helps us out, we help him out. There's no right or wrong in any of that - just different options. More options are always good.

I think most sensible people who make requests of John understand that he isn't God and that success isn't guaranteed. There will always be "people who suck" and "just don't get it". These are no different than the people who don't interact with John at all but think they have a "right" to all their ports of call and become infuriated when a port is skipped due to unavoidable circumstances - you just can't reason with some people and you'll encounter them everywhere. A sense of entitlement isn't limited to people who make requests of John.

There is no way that someone "should be getting these things done" - there are various ways of getting them done. Just because some people on cruisecritic think I shouldn't be asking John for help obtaining a table for two because I could ask the Maitre D' upon embarkation isn't going to stop me because I know that John is the only avenue to an increased chance of such a table when seating assignments have not been finalised.

John invites and encourages such requests, not by "continuing to cater to every request people make" but by literally spelling out what he is prepared and happy to do in clear English on his blogs and Facebook posts. When people on cruisecritic say "you shouldn't be asking John", what they are also saying is "John shouldn't be offering" and that's really up to him isn't it?

There is no rigid, set in stone way of doing things. If you followed the "You can ask the Maitre D' (even though it might not be as effective) so do not ask John" rationale, you could also say that Carnival and John should be hiring teams of marketing analysts (which I'm sure they do anyway) to research cruiser sentiment rather than ask us to respond to questions on his blog and his Facebook page regarding the services offered by Carnival. John's relationship (and Carnival's by proxy) with cruisers on his blog and Facebook page is a symbiotic one. He helps us out, we help him out. There's no right or wrong in any of that - just different options. More options are always good.

Very well put

<RANT>

I enjoy reading John's blog and Facebook posts, but the number of special requests and the type of requests are just getting to be out of hand.

For steakhouse reservations, why can you not just make a reservation request though the reservation system already established? There is already a system in place for this, so why go through John? Oh, because you waited until a week before you cruise to submit your reservation request and now the day of your anniversary is fully booked? And of course, that is all Carnival's fault, not yours. It would be nice if Carnival could implement some type of online reservation system like OpenTable, where the system would provide you the dates and times available and you would reserve based on what is available. First come, first choice. Not whine the loudest until I get my way.

For Chef's Table and the Beyond the Fun tour, I would like to see those setup just like shore excursions, available for reservation online under your booking in a port called "On Board". Again, first come, first serve. Not I demand you to do so because I have cruised on Carnival 4 times in 15 years. That way, it is fair for all cruisers to have the chance to reserve, not just the experienced cruisers that happen to know who this John Heald character is.

For people that have special requests for free birthday cakes, free anniversary champagne, etc., those people should be referred to Bon Voyage, where they can pay for it like almost every other guest does. Congratulations that you are celebrating a special event. So is half of the ship. Carnival already goes beyond what is necessary by providing a piece of dessert and singing a song for you in the main dining room on the day of your joyous occasion. You should not receive anything more unless you pay for it.

For requests to open balcony dividers, do it on the ship though guest services like everyone else. John has now stated the rules. They will do it if possible while not risking safety. Sorry if you feel like you are above the rules and demand to have your door open while risking the safety of others on the ship.

For special events like proposals, surprises, etc., meet with the cruise director when you get on the ship. That is what they are there for. For special seating requests in the main dining room, see the maitre d when you board the ship. That is what they are there for.

I would rather see John go back to blogging and getting our opinions on topics that could make things better for guests, and stop trying to be the go through for everything. I will admit that John brings a lot of this on himself. He has a hard time telling people no. I say let people that do not get their way or their freebies cry and stomp all the way over to another cruise line. They will be back when they realize that while they got their free birthday cake, they also paid $500 more per person for it

<END RANT>

I think most sensible people who make requests of John understand that he isn't God and that success isn't guaranteed.

seeing the clientele that carnival is now attracting, there are fewer and fewer when i look to the left and right of me.

• 4 weeks later...
<RANT>

I enjoy reading John's blog and Facebook posts, but the number of special requests and the type of requests are just getting to be out of hand.

For steakhouse reservations, why can you not just make a reservation request though the reservation system already established? There is already a system in place for this, so why go through John? Oh, because you waited until a week before you cruise to submit your reservation request and now the day of your anniversary is fully booked? And of course, that is all Carnival's fault, not yours. It would be nice if Carnival could implement some type of online reservation system like OpenTable, where the system would provide you the dates and times available and you would reserve based on what is available. First come, first choice. Not whine the loudest until I get my way.

For Chef's Table and the Beyond the Fun tour, I would like to see those setup just like shore excursions, available for reservation online under your booking in a port called "On Board". Again, first come, first serve. Not I demand you to do so because I have cruised on Carnival 4 times in 15 years. That way, it is fair for all cruisers to have the chance to reserve, not just the experienced cruisers that happen to know who this John Heald character is.

For people that have special requests for free birthday cakes, free anniversary champagne, etc., those people should be referred to Bon Voyage, where they can pay for it like almost every other guest does. Congratulations that you are celebrating a special event. So is half of the ship. Carnival already goes beyond what is necessary by providing a piece of dessert and singing a song for you in the main dining room on the day of your joyous occasion. You should not receive anything more unless you pay for it.

For requests to open balcony dividers, do it on the ship though guest services like everyone else. John has now stated the rules. They will do it if possible while not risking safety. Sorry if you feel like you are above the rules and demand to have your door open while risking the safety of others on the ship.

For special events like proposals, surprises, etc., meet with the cruise director when you get on the ship. That is what they are there for. For special seating requests in the main dining room, see the maitre d when you board the ship. That is what they are there for.

I would rather see John go back to blogging and getting our opinions on topics that could make things better for guests, and stop trying to be the go through for everything. I will admit that John brings a lot of this on himself. He has a hard time telling people no. I say let people that do not get their way or their freebies cry and stomp all the way over to another cruise line. They will be back when they realize that while they got their free birthday cake, they also paid $500 more per person for it

<END RANT>

I don't see your post as a rant more of a crusade. Totally agree with what you say.

Being a Brit I love and understand John's humour and use of certain words - brilliant in my opion. BUT there is one point that I absolutely detest and that is what this thread is all about - all the scavengers looking for free hand outs, e.g "My 99 y.o. grandmother just graduated from college and will be celebrating her 60 years wedding anniversary send her a great gift I will want something like a 20 y.o. gigolo for her - then arrange a burial at sea (for the gigolo)".:D

It seems that that 0.01% of passengers that shout the loudest get the best service. If I was in John's shoes (not his underpants:eek:) I would use one of his favourite words "b......s".

I would love to see John continue to help passengers but in the direction of military, veterans, passengers with special needs or passengers with special requests i.e. scattering the ashes of a loved one.

I have never cruised with Carnival (only indirectly with Carnival's daughter company Costa) and think it's about time that John starts looking after ALL Carnival Corp's passngers.:cool:

Ron

dont forget the requests for something free for their friends..:p

drives me over the edge, chef's table ressie's are one thing ( for some ships )

and I love questions that they should be asking their Travel agent and they are asking him....

People need to get a grip...

He is representative of carnival cruise lines and has accepted the task of being the face of the company!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Therefore ITS his JOB to get me a free cruise, increased vacation time from my job, FREE flights to where ever my free cruise is leaving and hula girls...I said it.

<RANT>

<END RANT>

Very well said

I like John's blog but as I said in this thread (or a previous thread or a previous thread or a previous thread

on this subject),

I don't get why he posts all those nasty greedy rude requests.

Having said that ,Carnival is lucky to have him. I'm taking my first RCI cruise this summer.

They have nothing to compare to Heald. In fact the Royal site is horrible

compared to Carnival's site. Honestly, Carnival cruisers are lucky to have Heald,Carnival's web site

and also the Carnival board here on CC. All 3 are a wealth of info (and sometimes crap).

Hate when people push their religion on others.

Just a quick question. What was it in the request for bibles and a place to worship makes you feel they are pushing their religion? Now if they are out on the deck actively sermonizing,"a word I just made up, my mom would be proud", then I could see the point of your statement. I'm done.

Edit: Hmmm. I just now read the actual request for the bibles and room and did find it to be a little pushy. The request was pushy, still no evidence of pushing religion on anyone, other than have a place for them to worship, but you never know.

I like John's blog but as I said in this thread (or a previous thread or a previous thread or a previous thread

on this subject),

I don't get why he posts all those nasty greedy rude requests.

Having said that ,Carnival is lucky to have him. I'm taking my first RCI cruise this summer.

They have nothing to compare to Heald. In fact the Royal site is horrible

compared to Carnival's site. Honestly, Carnival cruisers are lucky to have Heald,Carnival's web site

and also the Carnival board here on CC. All 3 are a wealth of info (and sometimes crap).

I think he posts them just because of the ridiculousness of them. He wants to get them out there and maybe throw a little shame the requesters way. But I doubt these people can be shamed, because it's "all about them."

....For every little minute request you have. Give the man a break. He is not responsible for your bad time, seating arrangment, or any other aspect of your cruise. Spent a few minutes reading his blog, and the requests made on there are RIDICULOUS ;):(:confused::rolleyes::cool::eek:

I must agree with the OP, the emails from passenger's requesting "free" stuff is really outrageous; just plain crazy! If you are unhappy with the cruiseline, contact them about it. Today, there was a post, on JH's blog, about a couple on the Ecstasy that was celebrating their wedding anniversary, so they wanted JH to send them something special, evidently, JH either didn't get the request or the Ecstasy staff caused it to fall through, well the couple's cruise was very disappointing...what? I thought if you wanted to surprise your spouse on your anniversary that it's YOUR responsibility and expense to provide the special surprise. I was seriously wondering if this guest was "for real"?

I must agree with the OP' date=' the emails from passenger's requesting "free" stuff is really outrageous; just plain crazy! If you are unhappy with the cruiseline, contact them about it. Today, there was a post, on JH's blog, about a couple on the Ecstasy that was celebrating their wedding anniversary, so they wanted JH to send them something special, evidently, JH either didn't get the request or the Ecstasy staff caused it to fall through, well the couple's cruise was very disappointing...what? I thought if you wanted to surprise your spouse on your anniversary that it's YOUR responsibility and expense to provide the special surprise. I was seriously wondering if this guest was "for real"?[/quote']

Our last two cruises were for our honeymoon in '04 and our anniversary last year. Expected nothing from Carnival. I know you can list that it's a special occasion, but I'd rather not have anyone sing to me in the MDR. Not my cup of tea. Bought a cake for my wife and I and enjoyed it in our room.

John Heald's character reminds me of the song (from Jimmy Dean / Johnny Cash) Big Bad John - changed with a little bit of poetic license:

Big John

Big John

Every mornning at the stroke of nine, you could see him arrive.

He stood 5 foot 6, weighed 245.

Kind of narrow the shoulders, broad at the hip.

And everybody knew you give a ship to Big John.

Big John

Big John

Big Good John

Big John

Anyone want to add more verses or any other songs that can be adapted?

Ron

<RANT>

<END RANT>

I think as this is a great post your hmtl codes [rant] [/rant] should be offically recognised and made available so that when used the monitir starts to shake.

Ron

I don't CARE...just stating an opinion. He is the best at what he does, it just seems that people take advantage is all.

I think he is a little bit of a Jack Wagon if you ask me, he seams to have gotten a little pompous over the last few years, almost to a "I am God" status.

Don't get me wrong, I think in general he does a good job, but I think he thinks he does a GREAT job, and know body else could do it.

There is one main purpose for John's blog, to promote and advertise Carnival. Carnival was fortunate enough to hire and pay such a witty, humorous, and seemingly nice guy to do this. Besides doing his regular duties well, John has a true talent for comedy and is able to write very well.

I have no doubt that his readership would plummet if all the posts were nice little ditties saying how much fun a cruise was, or thanking a room steward for doing such a great job. I personally love to read the more outlandish requests and posts, just to see if and how John will "zing" the poster. If all requesters were polite and used please and thank you, who would want to make a comment or even bother to read the blog? I have to admit I question if all the letters are real or if some "beards" or just trolls write some of them, but quite frankly I don't care. Either way, the outrageous ones are a much better read. It is amazing to see how the comment count goes up when a poster says something bad about John, when John teasingly berates himself, when he talks about missing his family, or someone asks for something really wierd. I am sure the big guys in the home office are smiling and patting themselves on the back for coming up with such a great way to advertise for free!

I think Carnival has found an amazing way to promote itself through John's blog and his facebook page. Every post has a photo of some new ship feature, a port the ship visits, or gives some news about a new cruise.

After all the recent Carnival Magic posts/photos, I am ready to sign up!

Every time John says "yes" or "I will do my best", one more cruiser has a better image of the line. If he told everyone to "bug...off" or called them an "arse" as many so richly deserve, it would get old quick.

So, let the wierdo's keep asking for bizarre requests, and I will anxiouly await each new blog entry. John is a hoot and and his blog really puts a smile on my face.

There is one main purpose for John's blog, to promote and advertise Carnival. Carnival was fortunate enough to hire and pay such a witty, humorous, and seemingly nice guy to do this. Besides doing his regular duties well, John has a true talent for comedy and is able to write very well.

Every time John says "yes" or "I will do my best", one more cruiser has a better image of the line. If he told everyone to "bug...off" or called them an "arse" as many so richly deserve, it would get old quick.

So, let the wierdo's keep asking for bizarre requests, and I will anxiouly await each new blog entry. John is a hoot and and his blog really puts a smile on my face.

Hmmm. Good points!

I think he is a little bit of a Jack Wagon if you ask me, he seams to have gotten a little pompous over the last few years, almost to a "I am God" status.

Don't get me wrong, I think in general he does a good job, but I think he thinks he does a GREAT job, and know body else could do it.

You done pissed the beards off...But John found you kind of amusing

I get really mad reading the dumbass requests he gets every day. The guy's a freaking saint for putting up with it.

Yeah well his latest facebook post was about that jackwagon waldocruiser -- ROFLMAO

A few days ago one of the questions on the blog was from someone requesting 200 bibles and a place to have a huge bible study every day. Why wouldn't you contact Carnival directly or at least someone on the actual ship you are cruising on. Sheesh.

Not just that.. they wanted a free shore excursion for providing a church service.

If all requesters were polite and used please and thank you....
....it would be a Cunard cruise Director's blog.

Seriously. All that crap doesn't help the reputation of the 'Carnival Cruiser'.

Archived