Q for Stanj about Monday closings in StP

We will be in St. Petersberg on the last Monday of May. Someone on another board mentioned that Peterhof, Cathrinhof, and the Hermitage are all closed on this day. Can you please corroborate? If so, I'm really concerned as we will only have 1 day to see all 3 of these sites, which I don't think is possible!!

If it is the case and we have to choose, would you recommend Peterhof or Cathrinhof? The Hermitage is my must-see, and we could see some of the cathedrals and other sites on the Monday, if need be....

I'm not Stan, but I do know that the Hermitage and Peterhof grand palace are closed on Monday. The fountains run at Peterhofeven on Monday. Catherine's Palace is open on Monday.

Marlyne

Hi, I'm in St P with HAL on a Monday and Tuesday. I notice that HAL's tours are going to the Hermitage and Peterhof on a Monday though. Is it possible they've got a special opening or have they not have realised it's a Monday?

Soraya

I am not sure if this post is allowed since there is a new and highly confusing policy about any mention of buisnesses related to cruises or ports and who is an agency.

Peterhof park is open on Mondays but not the Grand Palace so your tour operator is probably planning on taking you to the park only or one of the minor palaces, if you can call any palace "minor". That is not such a loss however, it or the palace is doable in the time alloted but not both anyway.

The Hermitage is closed on Mondays and I know of no special permissions granted to you tour. There are lots of other museums and sights of great interest, for example the State Russian Museum is closed only Tuesdays, Peter and Paul Fortress and its museums are closed only on Wed. I am sure if they are using a pro tour operator, the guides will know where to take you for a memorable visit.

Catherine Palace is closed Tuesday and the last Monday of each month. Is your tour on the last Monday of the month?

Ask me privately if you need any additional information because supplying the above information might not fit the new rules for non-agency posters such as you and me.

Stan you have been such a great source of information to all of us who are planning a Baltic cruise and I think it is really silly and frustrating if the information you are trying to convey to us might not be allowed on the site.I have been reading the Balic Port board for some time and I have not seen anything objectionable as far as tryng to solicit. Supposedly this is a new policy and I for one don't see the need for it based on past experience with this board. It will end up that we all have to email each other personally to get information whch could have been posted.

Here is what we are seeing on Monday morning May 30. Since I did not mention any tour operators, I am within the new guidelines.:rolleyes:

- Arrival in Peterhof: “Russian Versailles”, official Summer Residence of Russian Tsars.

- Stroll through the wonderful “Lower Park with its 150 fountains, cascades and various pavilions, palaces

- Visit to the CATHERINE BLOCK, small palace from where the repudiated wife of Peter III went out to become the most famous Empress of Russian Empire – Catherine the Great.

What ship are you on?

Did your tour planner/operator specify that you will be going inside these sites?

I checked out the websites for Hermitage and Peterhof -- definitely states that they are both closed on Mondays -- yet Princess insists the tours will be going there when I called. Same with Catherine's Palace -- website says it is closed on the last Monday of the month, but Princess still offers the tour. I'm not sure what to think...... maybe they do have special opening for cruise passengers?? There are going to be some very disappointed people if the tours DON'T go, I would imagine.

We decided to go with Den Rus for the 2 days. I'm sure we'll see more, and they will work around the "closings" by doing Peterhof and Hermitage on Sunday. We plan to take a Princess shorex that includes an evening at Catherine's Palace on Sunday night (pricey, but it's the only way we can squeeze that in). We'll do the remaining (and open) sites such as Peter and Paul Fortress/Cathedral, St. Isaacs, etc. the following day.

Did your tour planner/operator specify that you will be going inside these sites?

I checked out the websites for Hermitage and Peterhof -- definitely states that they are both closed on Mondays -- yet Princess insists the tours will be going there when I called. Same with Catherine's Palace -- website says it is closed on the last Monday of the month, but Princess still offers the tour. I'm not sure what to think...... maybe they do have special opening for cruise passengers?? There are going to be some very disappointed people if the tours DON'T go, I would imagine.

We decided to go with Den Rus for the 2 days. I'm sure we'll see more, and they will work around the "closings" by doing Peterhof and Hermitage on Sunday. We plan to take a Princess shorex that includes an evening at Catherine's Palace on Sunday night (pricey, but it's the only way we can squeeze that in). We'll do the remaining (and open) sites such as Peter and Paul Fortress/Cathedral, St. Isaacs, etc. the following day.

Hello Cynthia

Peterhof, the park and grounds are open but the Grand Palace is closed on Mondays so apparently the tour is to the park and not the spectacular Grand Palace. I would think more than a few people would be disappointed to find out when they arrived in the part that the palace was not included. Same with the grounds of Catherine Palace, open but no entry to the palace. People ask me all the time which to leave out if there is time crunch and it is hard for me to choose, they are both unique and thrilling experiences but the fountains at Peterhof are worth the visit to the park and grounds on "closed" days. The closings and maintenance days have been selected to impact visitor's plans the least, there is always SOMETHING of great interest open on each of the 7 days a week.

Also, be aware that during the summer there are a constant parade of festivals and special events that occur almost every weekend and often through the week. I used to write for an English language newspaper in St Petersburg and used to write reviews of cultural events and edit the calendar of upcoming events along with writing feature articles on history or historical fugure. There were so many interesting events that is was difficult to edit the list down each month to fit in the print space allocated. I'll try to list some of those festivals and events as their schedules become more firm than they are now.

Have a great visit

Stan

I have tried to find some information on the restaurant Adamant could you help me out.

We will be in St Petersburg on June 10 and 11.

Hello Cynthia

Peterhof, the park and grounds are open but the Grand Palace is closed on Mondays so apparently the tour is to the park and not the spectacular Grand Palace. I would think more than a few people would be disappointed to find out when they arrived in the part that the palace was not included. Same with the grounds of Catherine Palace, open but no entry to the palace. People ask me all the time which to leave out if there is time crunch and it is hard for me to choose, they are both unique and thrilling experiences but the fountains at Peterhof are worth the visit to the park and grounds on "closed" days. The closings and maintenance days have been selected to impact visitor's plans the least, there is always SOMETHING of great interest open on each of the 7 days a week.

Also, be aware that during the summer there are a constant parade of festivals and special events that occur almost every weekend and often through the week. I used to write for an English language newspaper in St Petersburg and used to write reviews of cultural events and edit the calendar of upcoming events along with writing feature articles on history or historical fugure. There were so many interesting events that is was difficult to edit the list down each month to fit in the print space allocated. I'll try to list some of those festivals and events as their schedules become more firm than they are now.

Have a great visit

Peterhof park is open on Mondays but not the Grand Palace so your tour operator is probably planning on taking you to the park only or one of the minor palaces, if you can call any palace "minor".

I'm confused whether Peterhof Palace really closes on Mondays??? All the links I checked said it is closed on Mondays. However, I read this trip review by japiscopo dated 2/8/05 http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=133356&highlight=radisson. :confused:

japiscopo visited Peterhof Palace (inside and outside) on a Monday (8/23/04) and I quote "The palace is large and very beautiful, painted gold and white. There were thousands of fountains (gravity not electrical pumps). The interior had gold leaf over wood. Each room had a huge Delft radiator for heat. The furnishings were very royal looking. There were several room decorated in the Oriental style. Some of the interior was original, but most was reproductions due to the damage during the 900 day siege by the ****’s."

So apparently, the palace was open for visitors on that Monday. So I inquired with RO and they replied:

"I think that the Grand Palace at Peterhof will be available this summer on May 30 in the morning."

When I tried to confirm again, RO again replied:

"As for the Grand Palace, I am sure 99 percent it will be open. Please kindly, let me have 1% for my safety. We shall have the exact information on 26 April when the museum makes the confirmations for the next month."

So now, can somebody please confirm if they were able to visit the Peterhof Palace on Monday on their previous visits?? I'll be in SPB on 5/29-30 (Sun-Mon) and of course, 5/30 happens to be the last Monday of the month so Catherine Palace is also closed. So my current itinerary for Sun. (5/29) will include the 2 palaces plus the Hermitage. Sounds like Mission Impossible!!???? :mad:

Stan you have been such a great source of information to all of us who are planning a Baltic cruise and I think it is really silly and frustrating if the information you are trying to convey to us might not be allowed on the site.I have been reading the Balic Port board for some time and I have not seen anything objectionable as far as tryng to solicit. Supposedly this is a new policy and I for one don't see the need for it based on past experience with this board. It will end up that we all have to email each other personally to get information whch could have been posted.
I've already tried to tell Stan that he can provide names, links and contact information for anything that you ask for. He cannot volunteer tour companies unless he's been asked. There's no reason for him to not provide answers to your questions here. If you or he thinks otherwise, you don't clearly understand the board guidelines.

Stan

I have tried to find some information on the restaurant Adamant could you help me out.

We will be in St Petersburg on June 10 and 11.

Hello SeaGopher

You have selected one of the city's better restaurants with prices to match. I've been there a number of times and each time was seated in a different area which had a completely different decor. It is really nice, with very good service, inventive dishes and beautiful interior. I really liked the Granite room, where food is grilled on open grills on each table all of which are polished granite. The lighting and attention to detail make for a really comfortable and stylish decor. It is not Russian food, more like St Petersburg as I call it because it reflects strong influences from Europe with a twist of Russian thrown in. Expect $30 entrees and dinner for two with wine for about $100-120

The Adamant company is a large holding company in St Petersburg which also owns my favorite disco/nightclub "Plaza" and an advertsing company I have dealt with before and found them to be a class act. They also have a popular Scandinavian restaurant right on Nevsky prospekt called Valhall but that is very casual. You might want to dress a bit better than typical touring clothing for Adamant since it is a bit upscale and everyone else will be dressed very nicely. Sometimes on vacation that is not what people want to do but I always liked the opportunities to dress a little more formally.

I am sure you will enjoy that restaurant. It is close to St Isaac on the Moika River in the middle of the city.

Archived