Gem, Jewel or Star...

Fawn524

I'm looking at taking a cruise on either the Gem, the Jewel or the Star out of NYC. All things being equal with cabin availability and pricing, can anyone tell me if there's much difference between the three ships?

I'm looking at taking a cruise on either the Gem, the Jewel or the Star out of NYC. All things being equal with cabin availability and pricing, can anyone tell me if there's much difference between the three ships?

The Gem is the newest of these three ships and has a bowling alley that the Jewel and Star do not. The Jewel is almost exactly the same as the Gem without the bowling alley. The Star is a different class ship (Dawn class instead of Jewel class) but only slightly smaller. The Jewel will be gone from NYC when the Star moves into NYC. I haven't been on the Star but I have been on her sister ship, the Dawn, which we love. The Spinnacker lounge on the Gem and Jewel is on Deck 12 at the bow (front) of the ship with huge windows with a fabulous view. The Spinnacker Lounge on the Star has now moved onto Deck 8 (I think) and has no windows. If you have children, the Jewel has Dora and Sponge Bob (and other Nic stars) sailing with you.

Where will the Jewel be moving to?

I think Seattle to cruise Alaska but I could be wrong. As far as I remember the Jewel is moving to Seattle and being replaced by the Star Spring 2012 and the Gem is going to Europe and being replaced by the Pearl in the Fall 2012.

Any are fine if you are booking a nice suite, because you will likely happily spend extra time in your suite.

If not in a nice suite, I would select Gem or Jewel. after the removal of the wonderful forward observation lounge with all those windows, the Star is far less appealing to me. the new window-less spinnaker does not appeal to me at all. JMHO.

Thank you...great answers! I'm looking at this Fall, and all three ships will be sailing out of NYC at the time.

We're long time cruisers, but we'll be taking our first NCL cruise this summer on the Jade. It takes so much research to learn a new fleet! :confused:

Anyone else have opinions/advice/suggestions?

I think Seattle to cruise Alaska but I could be wrong. As far as I remember the Jewel is moving to Seattle and being replaced by the Star Spring 2012 and the Gem is going to Europe and being replaced by the Pearl in the Fall 2012.

Are you sure the Gem is moving to Europe for the fall of 2012? The reason I ask is I am booked out of NYC on the Gem in the fall of 2012 for Thanksgiving. Now a little nervous.

Thank you...great answers! I'm looking at this Fall, and all three ships will be sailing out of NYC at the time.

We're long time cruisers, but we'll be taking our first NCL cruise this summer on the Jade. It takes so much research to learn a new fleet! :confused:

I just looked at the NCL website and the Star is doing a repositioning cruise from Tampa to New York in April of 2012. Until that time it is in Seattle and then Tampa. Are you sure you aren't looking at 2012 instead of 2011?

Are you sure the Gem is moving to Europe for the fall of 2012? The reason I ask is I am booked out of NYC on the Gem in the fall of 2012 for Thanksgiving. Now a little nervous.

No, I was wrong. I just looked at their website and she's still in NY through 2012. I believe it is 2013 that NCL said she'd go to Europe after the new ship is built. I can't find my notes from the "Inside NCL" webcast to find out for sure. Sorry for the wrong information.

I didn't think there was ever supposed to be three NCL ships out of NYC but the Pearl is coming to NYC in the fall of 2012 and the Star will already be here so I am really confused now. That is why I thought the Gem would be leaving when the Pearl came.

Hi

I have sailed on the Gem and the Star. While I enjoyed both I would sail on the Gem again. The Star is a nice ship but there is no aft bar and the pool is smaller.

The Gem has the great outdoors aft and a large sundeck with lounges that two people can share. There is a larger pool area with tables, chairs, and sofa like chairs with a table between them.

The bowling alley is fun to do and there is wii in the atrium, on the Star there is wii in the English pub.

They have good entertainment but the Gem is newer and IMO a better cruise experience.

Thanks for all your replies. I'm definitely leaning towards the Gem at this point. It's invaluable to get advice from people who have actually been on the ships! :)

Archived