best way to get to Maui Ocean center

mina

We are sailing on the Sapphire Princess. Would like to do the Maui Ocean Center on our own without renting a car. What would be the best way to get there from Lahaina? They want about $80 a person to do this through the ship -- seems like a lot given the entrance fee is $25. If we had to take a taxi -- what would it run approximately? Thank you!

Taxi from Lahaina to Ma'alaea would probably run about $80-$100 round-trip. I have to guess because of rising fuel prices, but you should be able to find actual fares by doing a web search for taxi fares on Maui.

The bus system is good, but you have to plan by their schedule. Fares are (or were) $1 each way. You'd want route 20, the Lahaina Islander, which has stops in Lahaina at the Wharf Cinema Center (across Front St. from the banyon tree courtyard, which is on the way out of the harbor from the tender pier) and in Ma'alaea. Here's the website:

http://www.co.maui.hi.us/index.aspx?NID=1310

Is there anything else included with the ship excursion besides transportation and entry? If not, then a taxi would still save you $$ and allow you to come and go on your own schedule, not the excursion's. The bus would save you the most money and runs pretty regularly.

beachchick

Is there a reason you don't want to rent a car? We were on Maui last year on the POA, and renting a car was pretty painless, and not very expensive ($38.90/day through Thrifty). We were able to pack quite a bit into our two days there, including a visit to the Maui Ocean Center (which is quite lovely).

Another option might be to try to find someone on your roll call who intends to rent a car and visit the Ocean Center, and see if you can tag along. We tend to offer that up on our cruises where we plan to rent cars. It's a fun way to meet your fellow cruisers!

Thanks for the input beachchick. Jenbo - I have heard nasty things about the traffic. We are also only in port from 7 am (add 1.5 hours to get across in tender - worst case) and have to be back in line for tender by 5 pm. So by the time we get and return the car -- not a lot of time left. I am really not sure if we can really fit anything in other than a quick trip to Ocean Center. Now I am thinking maybe just go to Kannapali and walk around and have lunch. Not sure at all! ideas?

We just returned on Saturday...great trip. We rented a car for our first day on Maui, and drove to the Maui Ocean Center...and then drove on the Lahaina. Easy pickup from port (we rented directly from Dollar, signed up in advance for express rental). It was a nice relaxing drive, and we were able to stop along the way whenever we wanted. There is a great boardwalk and natural park along the way, and lots of little beach towns you can explore. Parking is not easy at the port, so we ended up returning the car and not keeping it for the second day.

We just returned on Saturday...great trip. We rented a car for our first day on Maui, and drove to the Maui Ocean Center...and then drove on the Lahaina. Easy pickup from port (we rented directly from Dollar, signed up in advance for express rental). It was a nice relaxing drive, and we were able to stop along the way whenever we wanted. There is a great boardwalk and natural park along the way, and lots of little beach towns you can explore. Parking is not easy at the port, so we ended up returning the car and not keeping it for the second day.

Don't like to hear that! We need a car both days for our planned activities!:eek:

Don't like to hear that! We need a car both days for our planned activities!:eek:

The tender pier at Lahaina harbor is in the middle of the very small town. It's not just that there's nowhere to park by the harbor, there's no space for parking at all. On street overnight parking is pretty much a no go as Lahaina does not allow it on Front St. and some of the side streets. Believe me, they will ticket and possibly tow. Last I recall, parking tickets were about $75!

To park overnight, you will need to find one of the overnight (pay) lots in town. There are several and one is (or was) fairly close to the harbor behind a fast food restaurant (I think). There used to be overnight parking at the 505 Front St. parking complex (10 minute walk from banyon tree courtyard), but I don't know if they still do it.

Lahaina Center and/or Old Lahaina Center (basically next to each other) have some overnight parking. They're about a 10-15 minute walk up Front St. to Lahainaluna/Papalaua. (Note: These are not Lahaina Cannery Mall, which is a couple of miles up Front St. and across the street from Old Lahaina Luau.)

While a bit challenging, it is not impossible to find overnight pay parking in Lahaina. You should be fine.

beachchick

The tender pier at Lahaina harbor is in the middle of the very small town. It's not just that there's nowhere to park by the harbor, there's no space for parking at all. On street overnight parking is pretty much a no go as Lahaina does not allow it on Front St. and some of the side streets. Believe me, they will ticket and possibly tow. Last I recall, parking tickets were about $75!

To park overnight, you will need to find one of the overnight (pay) lots in town. There are several and one is (or was) fairly close to the harbor behind a fast food restaurant (I think). There used to be overnight parking at the 505 Front St. parking complex (10 minute walk from banyon tree courtyard), but I don't know if they still do it.

Lahaina Center and/or Old Lahaina Center (basically next to each other) have some overnight parking. They're about a 10-15 minute walk up Front St. to Lahainaluna/Papalaua. (Note: These are not Lahaina Cannery Mall, which is a couple of miles up Front St. and across the street from Old Lahaina Luau.)

While a bit challenging, it is not impossible to find overnight pay parking in Lahaina. You should be fine.

beachchick

Maybe I misunderstood the previous poster I quoted. We will be docking in Kahului on the POA, not in Lahaina. I have heard most of the time people are finding parking there, but that is what I am most nervous about. We have evening dinner plans with a cousin who lives in Maui on Day 1, so we will not be getting back to the ship until later in the evening and we have to be in Ma'alea at 6 AM on Day 2 for a Molokini Snorkel excursion with Trilogy, so am hoping that parking will be easy and we won't get blocked in!

You are correct...I was referring to Kahului. I had read other cruise critic comments about parking, and I thought I understood what I was doing, but the signage was very confusing. One option to consider, if parking is an issue...the rental car company (dollar) said I could park the car at the rental car lot, and take the shuttle back and forth. It is extremely close to the port.

You are correct...I was referring to Kahului. I had read other cruise critic comments about parking, and I thought I understood what I was doing, but the signage was very confusing. One option to consider, if parking is an issue...the rental car company (dollar) said I could park the car at the rental car lot, and take the shuttle back and forth. It is extremely close to the port.

Thank you. We will keep that in mind, although I believe we will have to leave on Day 2 before the shuttle starts to run, so we will just have to keep our fingers crossed.

Maybe I misunderstood the previous poster I quoted. We will be docking in Kahului on the POA, not in Lahaina. I have heard most of the time people are finding parking there, but that is what I am most nervous about. We have evening dinner plans with a cousin who lives in Maui on Day 1, so we will not be getting back to the ship until later in the evening and we have to be in Ma'alea at 6 AM on Day 2 for a Molokini Snorkel excursion with Trilogy, so am hoping that parking will be easy and we won't get blocked in!

Oops, my mistake; I misread (as if that's a first for me).:rolleyes:

Parking near the pier in Kahului has always been a buggah. It would be soooo nice if they'd find space for a lot near the actual cruise ship pier. There's enough ship action to warrant it, IMO.

Before 9/11 and increasing security measures, the areas that look like parking lots by the cruise piers on Maui and Kauai were actually parking lots for passengers. I know this because our first Hawaii cruise was in February 2001 and we used them. Now, they're surrounded by fencing and have tightly controlled access for shuttles, taxis, etc.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that you find a parking space later in the evening and that you don't get blocked in.

beachchick

That's ok. You always give such good responses that one misread won't be held against you.:D

Yes, I guess we will just give that one up to prayer that all will work out for us. We will try to be careful to be sure we don't get blocked!

Archived