My Week On The Pacific Pearl

I have just returned from a fantastic week on the Pacific Pearl and I have to say that really can't see why there have been such bad reviews.

The Pearl, or as I like to call her "my little Pearl" lol:D was jus lovely. the decor was really pretty, and everything was easy to find. The staff and crew were as usual very friendly.

The weather started out overcast, but soon turned warm by the time we got to Isle Of Pines.

As this was a school holiday cruise, there were heaps of kids on board, someone said there were about 400, but if that's true I never saw them. the kids were sooo well behaved and as others have mentioned the Pearl doesn't seem crowded. The waiters were so really great with the kids also.:)

The food was lovely. I have to admit I am not a great buffet fan, but the food up there was good. had lunch in the MDR a couple of times which was nice also. Most nights we ate in the MDR and we had great waiters. Food was beautiful. DH especailly liked the pork belly & scollops,he had it nearly every night as an entree.

We only went to a couple of shows and enjoyed them very much. I think P &O has the best entertainment going. Island night was of course the best night and we also enjoyed the Pacific Cirque act. Apparently the show had to be cancelled on the last 4 cruises because of bad weather, so we were very lucky to see it. I think they had the ship at a standstill so it wasn't to windy.

Isle Of Pines was lovely as usual, we have been there before so this time we wanted to get out of the main area, so we hired a mini bus and the lady took us around to a few lookouts and to a church etc. cost was $15 ea. for about 2 hours.

Noumea has not always been my favourite place, but this time we had a ball there. First we went on a jet boat ride around the harbour which was great. the guide was very pleasant and got us up to around 4.5 knots. it was great fun. then we were looking for something else to do and Fiona (Tassie Cruiser) found these little buggys for hire, so off we went. It was really freaky driving on the right side of the road. we had great fun though.

The only thing I didn't like about the Pearl was those revolving doors at the buffet.....people were going through too fast and it was a nightmare if you have a tray of food to carry through.

The oasis was nice, our cabin 8181 was about three steps from the door leading to the oasis, so it was very easy to get there. DH took the opportunity to sneak out there for a quick fag a couple of times. :eek: He and Fiona were out there one night and the phone rang, so naturally Fiona answered it and as told in no uncertain terms that they were in a no smoking area and to butt out immediately.....:D:D naughty naughty.....

Overall we a fantastic time. The best thing of course was that we got to spend time with our good friends from Tassie... Fiona, Joe & their family.

Cruising anytime is great and it's even better with good friends....

We can now look forward to our NYE cruise on the Diamond Pricess.

Deidre.:)

Enjoyed your review, Barnsey, thank you. It's great to hear good reviews of the Pearl now. Ugh, revolving doors would be a nightmare going out from the buffet. The automatic doors on the P Dawn are great (when they are working :rolleyes:)

Leanne, next to the revolving doors there is also a sliding door, that they ask you not to use, but I'm sure there wouldn't be a problem with you bringing the wheelchair through (I'd say that's what it's there for). That way you can go out of the buffet to access the pools, big screen, Cafe, etc.

But as Deidre says, you can also access the buffet from the back lift lobby which comes out into the buffet, without having to go through any doors.

There is also automatic sliding doors out the back of the buffet to access the tables out the back.

Do you have any photo's of these buggy's? Debsta also mentioned these in her review and Hubby is very interested. Would it be ok to go as far as Lemon Bay in these or would we find it a little far and too scary on the wrong side of the road?

I have done a quick google search and couldnt find any more info(all car hire places come up) so if anybody has a web site I would love a look. TIA

Btw thanks Deidre for a wonderful review. My friend from work Jan and her hubby Garry were on as well and am waiting to her from her as it was her first cruise and she is coming with myself and friends in October.

Did you try the Saltgrill? or do the cocktail course. Also did you have any spa treatments?

Thanks Liz:D

Hi Liz,

Yes we did the salt grill and it was beautiful. Well worth the money. There was tapas to start and I had prawns for entree and steak for main. We noticed that the entree's were quite big meals. The vegetables on the side were yummy as well.

No spa treatments though.

Deidre.

Sorry to bug you again but is there a choice at the Salt grill because my friend dosent like seafood - i love it! and was wondering if there is non-seafood option?

Liz

Hi Liz,

There is meat, lamb cutlets and chicken to chose from as well as of course the seafood. she should'n't have a problem finding something to eat there.

Deidre:)

Do you have any photo's of these buggy's? Debsta also mentioned these in her review and Hubby is very interested. Would it be ok to go as far as Lemon Bay in these or would we find it a little far and too scary on the wrong side of the road?

I have done a quick google search and couldnt find any more info(all car hire places come up) so if anybody has a web site I would love a look. TIA

You can hire the buggy's just outside the terminal. cost of the buggy's was $110.00 or a bike for around $50 for 2 hours.

100_3380.jpg.3e29d239138c277fb8b9c142800ae633.jpg

100_3382.jpg.ff9f0f30b2c52604fa90eddb7a1b7f37.jpg

Archived