Just back our 1st Cruise - FoS - Awesome

We are a family of 4 - 11yog and 15yob. Although the 11 was sick the first part of the cruise, it did not interrupt the fun. My 15yo met friends first day on bball court and we only saw him during excursions and dinner the rest of the time(his best part of vacation).

• The ship was spacious with tons to do. We were on the 10th deck...great location to pool, sports deck and windjammer. Top decks were fine for sitting and relaxing, taking a walk or playing or watching a game.
  • The ports were great - Ranking: Grand Caymen #1, Cozumel #2, Labadee #3 and Jamaica #4. This being our first cruise we went with RCI excursions. Next time we will work our "own" and take the time to investigate the ports for better value.
  • The food was above what we expected. The MDR food above average and the Windjammer perfect for breakfast and lunch. Johnny Rockets is fun but only worth 1 trip. On the promenade we only went to the cafe' for good coffee and B&J for ice cream.
  • The pool was more than adequate with many choice of seating, but finding seating at times was impossible but patience definitely helps. Saw too many people get PO'd and walked away, surely ruining the remainder of their day. With 3 pool areas to choose you will find a spot to place your stuff.
  • The spa and gym were acceptable. Only did a walk thru...had a massage scehduled but had to cancel due to my sick 11yo. Will hit that next time. Staff seemed very nice.
  • Shows...very entertaining...worth going to see. We missed the first couple, which I am sure were worth seeing as well.
  • Staff and service - exceptional to say the least. Everyone had a smile and every request was filled sometimes twice. The service, whether it was food or room or medical...top notch. No issues only positive experiences.

Well its about all I can think of for now...feel free to ask me anything whilst it is fresh. BTW...the family is already talking about what ship for Spring Break in '12. - Ideas welcome.

Enjoy...Tom

Thanks Tom! We are on the East itinerary on July 31 and we are excited. Thanks for all the postivies. My son is 11 yrs and he is our one and only. This will be his first cruise. I am expecting to be a Serrentos daily with him. I am a cupcake fan too.

Thanks for your review. My husband and I are sailing Freedom in October with same itinerary. Can't wait. We have been to most ports before but never Grand Cayman. What did you do there? Do you have any suggestion after being there. Also, how is Falmouth now? We were there in early March and it was still a work in progress. Again, thanks for your comments and any further info.:)

We did not do Sorrentos - my 15yo did as far as cupcakes I personally did not partake, byt wife had 3 minis and loved them...so I guess they were good.

In GC we did a 3 parter - Stingray City (a must), Dolphin encounter (wifes fav) and the turtle farm which is direclty across the street from the dolphins. It lasted about 3 hours and instead of waiting for the bus we rented a taxi back to the pier for $26. Rather than wait as the bus was going to a Tiki beach and we were ready for the pool (haha). Falmouth is still under construction. My 15yo and I walked around and bartered for hand made items and a t-shirts...was fun for an hour. Other than that did not do much there. Wish I had more to day about Jamaica...was our honeymoon destination years ago...so already did all the "good" stuff.

Well its about all I can think of for now...feel free to ask me anything whilst it is fresh. BTW...the family is already talking about what ship for Spring Break in '12. - Ideas welcome.

Enjoy...Tom

Check Navigator pricing for 2012, they JUST moved her back to the Caribbean for the winter, as she was supposed to stay in Europe. Due to this, many cabins have not yet been booked and the prices are great. Just booked a 8 day for 2/4 at a great price, $2500 for a JS. Really looking forward to it.

Sounds like you guys had a great time. Hubby and I are going on the freedom in 2 weeks, a different itinerary, though. I've read a lot of food complaints lately, so I was really glad to read that you guys liked the food. Personally, I don't care as I'm sure it's better than anything I could prepare anyway.

And cruising is addictive :). We went on our first in October 09 and booked our May 2010 cruise shortly after... then started looking at honeymoon cruises not long after. Cruises are so the best vacations ever :).

Thanks Tom! We are on the East itinerary on July 31 and we are excited. Thanks for all the postivies. My son is 11 yrs and he is our one and only. This will be his first cruise. I am expecting to be a Serrentos daily with him. I am a cupcake fan too.

Your son will really enjoy the FlowRider and the ice skating rink, the parade through the Royal Promenade, mini golf, the rock climbing wall.

I also recommend enjoying the Main Dining Room as a family. My kids love the MDR and of course you can order all you care to eat but with great service and a chance to sit and talk about how great the day was instead of standing in line at the Windjammer.

Coco Cay is also fun for an 11-year-old. Try snorkeling to the sunken airplane -- there are hundreds of colorful fish there. Have fun!

Archived