Europe not selling so well....

Cruise Junky

Funny thing is, you would think the Europeans would be back filling this void right and left. But hey.... some of their economies are actually worse than ours.

Still amused at the mess the cruise lines made of this. They will have to tuck their tails and come home to a rather miffed crowd at this point. :rolleyes:

I was actually speaking of a ship doing ONLY transatlantics.

That would be a B2B I would consider. No flying. I like that.

I wonder how the cost of multiple sea days (mostly fuel I'd think) compares with multiple port fees etc ?

Well, I'm hoping this all adds up to some decent price drops & maybe a deal or two on airfare. On my 2009 trip the dollar to pound was a heck of a lot more favorable (to us Yanks) than it is now.

I wish I could just hold out for a last minute deal, but I need to request time off from work way in advance.

I am sure we aren't alone:)...we may end up having LOTS of company on land:cool:.....renting a car and getting lost thru Tuscany....aaaaahhhhhhhhhhh:)

Did this 4 years ago for our 20th anniversary (except through Umbria) and LOVED it!!!! Stayed at a beautiful farmhouse and spent every day exploring by car. A great cruise alternative!!!

I am sure we aren't alone:)...we may end up having LOTS of company on land:cool:.....renting a car and getting lost thru Tuscany....aaaaahhhhhhhhhhh:)

having done Tuscany with a car rental two years ago, have to agree thats a nice way to go. Great wine tasting along the way if you have a designated driver. Fun visits either way though.

A major price drop 2 days after final is VERY bad business IMO....these CL's know VERY well where these sailings are standing around time of final payment. I just don't see much changing as far as Europe next year....IMO seeing what is happening this year is like looking into a crystal ball for 2012....that is unless gas has a sudden drop in price and airlines start to increase capacity...which both are pretty doubtful.

I agree with you. Why don't they realise that they are being unreasonable with their pricing. I find the prices for 2012 extremely steep. I will probably book to get the cabin I want but will keep a close watch on the price. I think if they just adjusted their expectations up front, everyone would be much happier: cruise passengers who would feel like they are not being ripped off and cruiselines themselves because their bookings would pick up.

we did a European cruise in September 2009. Back then we paid $750 or so round trip from Rome, but that was with Iberia airlines, and a stop in Madrid. I can personally attest flights both going and coming were not pleasant....possibly altering our decision to do another European cruise, plus the prices are going up for this airfare. Thoughts going through my mind to do a westbound transatlantic in 2012, at least that way only have one grueling flight, from Fl to CT (probably JFK) is a piece of cake. And going we'll be looking forawrd to the cruise so we won't mind it so much.

I do agree though these megaships 5000 people or so may be tough to fill over there.

we did a European cruise in September 2009. Back then we paid $750 or so round trip from Rome, but that was with Iberia airlines, and a stop in Madrid. I can personally attest flights both going and coming were not pleasant....possibly altering our decision to do another European cruise, plus the prices are going up for this airfare. Thoughts going through my mind to do a westbound transatlantic in 2012, at least that way only have one grueling flight, from Fl to CT (probably JFK) is a piece of cake. And going we'll be looking forawrd to the cruise so we won't mind it so much.

I do agree though these megaships 5000 people or so may be tough to fill over there.

i am tryimg to do a trip this july but the airfare from NY to barcelona is outrageous, @ $1500 pp. the steep airfares are not helping the cruise lines in europe any.

Im just not a fan of the transatlantic flight and wont do it through Madrid again that airport was horrible....great architecture, poor logistics. I love the NY to FL flight but its such a hastle in Europe depending on port of departure, taxi prices from rome to port are outrageous, our dollar is weak, airlines getting more expensive, etc etc.

But we'll probably go again down the road, but yes return flight from Rome to Madrid to JFK was not a pleasant way to end a vacation...15 hours from airport to airport was a bummer...

Im just not a fan of the transatlantic flight and wont do it through Madrid again that airport was horrible....great architecture, poor logistics. I love the NY to FL flight but its such a hastle in Europe depending on port of departure, taxi prices from rome to port are outrageous, our dollar is weak, airlines getting more expensive, etc etc.

But we'll probably go again down the road, but yes return flight from Rome to Madrid to JFK was not a pleasant way to end a vacation...15 hours from airport to airport was a bummer...

I hear you--it just took me 30+ hours to get to San Francisco from Australia--talk about exhausting! The reason I asked is because Iberia has the cheapest airfare so far for our November Med cruise--but never having flown them, I was curious about the airline itself.

Thx Cathy

Well....I just found a great price on the Equinox r/t Rome 11 nights. $2234. for 2 Cat. 2C. There's also a $125. Captains Club Savings Certificate plus the TA will throw in a OBC of $140. I might have enough FF miles for the air. The problem is that I can't convince my dh to go back overseas. He's afraid of the un-rest. The other problem is the price of tours that add up. The thought of the hassle with flying, flights being canceled, delays, etc. Going to the caribbean from our homeport might look more expensive, but would be less aggravating and end up less money in the long run. I'm really torn with weighing the good and bad!

Well....I just found a great price on the Equinox r/t Rome 11 nights. $2234. for 2 Cat. 2C. There's also a $125. Captains Club Savings Certificate plus the TA will throw in a OBC of $140. I might have enough FF miles for the air. The problem is that I can't convince my dh to go back overseas. He's afraid of the un-rest. The other problem is the price of tours that add up. The thought of the hassle with flying, flights being canceled, delays, etc. Going to the caribbean from our homeport might look more expensive, but would be less aggravating and end up less money in the long run. I'm really torn with weighing the good and bad!

Can definitely understand the temptation to just go with the 'homeport' options as I'm located in Seattle and looking at Alaska cruises instead of Med cruises.

For your Med cruise consideration, are there award seats available for those FF miles? Seems like all the decent low mileage redemptions to Europe are gone and all that you have available are the ridiculous 2X the mileage seats. Just can't bring myself to spend twice the miles for award redemptions even if buying the seats are as costly as they are. I'd rather spend $1600 on airfare than 200k miles roundtrip. At least with buying the seats you end up with more miles to use towards better redemption options (like starting planning for 2012 Med cruises :) ). And, depending on your status, those miles also help toward re-qualifying for status the next year on the airlines.

A few years ago, my flights from Rome was a brutal way to end my vacation - Rome-Heathrow-JFK-DC-Dallas-LAX. Ugh. Silly flight delays bumped all my other flights off track. :(. I totally feel your pain.

Can definitely understand the temptation to just go with the 'homeport' options as I'm located in Seattle and looking at Alaska cruises instead of Med cruises.

For your Med cruise consideration, are there award seats available for those FF miles? Seems like all the decent low mileage redemptions to Europe are gone and all that you have available are the ridiculous 2X the mileage seats. Just can't bring myself to spend twice the miles for award redemptions even if buying the seats are as costly as they are. I'd rather spend $1600 on airfare than 200k miles roundtrip. At least with buying the seats you end up with more miles to use towards better redemption options (like starting planning for 2012 Med cruises :) ). And, depending on your status, those miles also help toward re-qualifying for status the next year on the airlines.

Surprisingly, I found available seats on Continental for the lowest FF of 27,500 for one way. 55,000r/t. Decent flights were available that would fit out itinerey. It would drain our accts for 2 tickets. The flights are always changed when booking so far out, so plans are always messed up. I don't know if I could stand the stress. I might need another yr. of a non-working, cheaper, no tours, mindless, cruise. It's sooo tempting with the price of the Europe ones! We'll see! I know that no other places could compare to the Med.

I hear you--it just took me 30+ hours to get to San Francisco from Australia--talk about exhausting! The reason I asked is because Iberia has the cheapest airfare so far for our November Med cruise--but never having flown them, I was curious about the airline itself.

Thx Cathy

All I'll say is we booked with Iberia because they were the cheapest in 2009 as well. We won't use them again and I'll leave it at that.

A few years ago, my flights from Rome was a brutal way to end my vacation - Rome-Heathrow-JFK-DC-Dallas-LAX. Ugh. Silly flight delays bumped all my other flights off track. :(. I totally feel your pain.

UGH and I thought we had it rough with one layover. That is really horrible, there's plenty of flights from NY direct to LAX and you had to go that route to DC then Texas? I would have been drinking heavily:(

Please tell me about this airline. We are flying Houston to Heathrow on Continental and then Heathrow to Barcelona on Iberia. The baggage limits seem to be the same as Continental. What do we need to be prepared for? You guys are scaring me!

Thanks!

I think that would be fantastic, too. But we're probably in the minority.

Not necessarily. P & O do 21-night Caribbean cruises without flying, round-trip from Southampton, so why not a round-trip European cruise from Boston, New York, Baltimore or Fort Lauderdale.

Please tell me about this airline. We are flying Houston to Heathrow on Continental and then Heathrow to Barcelona on Iberia. The baggage limits seem to be the same as Continental. What do we need to be prepared for? You guys are scaring me!

Thanks!

Actually it wasn't horrendous but there are better choices out there. Are you flying direct from England to Barcelona? Madrid airport, Iberia's hub was not fun...insane lines, confusion, help hard to find, etc.

Our bags made it both ways, which was good. Others not so lucky from what I heard. Flight attendants not so nice if you didn't speak Spanish. Forget about an orderly boarding of the the plane, it was a mad rush...

We booked with them because they were about $300 cheaper than the next available choice, x4 people that's a substantial savings. Just bring a sense of humor and you will be ok....:D:D:D

Yes, it is a direct flight from Heathrow to Barcelona. Will we have to go through customs & imigration in London before we board for Barcelona? We have about a 3 hour delay in London. The tickets were not booked at the same time, so the flights are not really connected.

Thanks

Thanks!

My parents-in-law moved many years ago to the north of Tenerife, and when we visit them, we have to fly with Iberia since there's no other option for us from Brussels (Brussels-Madrid-Tenerife Norte). We never were a big fan of Iberia, but the last couple of times we were pleasantly surprised with them. All flights were as good as on time, boarding was organized, luggage was always there - although we had less than 1 hour between flights - and the crew in the airport and onboard was friendly and communicated with us in English. We hope they will continue this way.;)

Yes, it is a direct flight from Heathrow to Barcelona. Will we have to go through customs & imigration in London before we board for Barcelona? We have about a 3 hour delay in London. The tickets were not booked at the same time, so the flights are not really connected.

Thanks

When you check-in in the US advise the check in staff that you have an onward connection at Heathrow to Barcelona and show them the ticket or e-ticket. They may be able to check your luggage through to Barcelona, in which case you would not need to clear customs and immigration and instead you follow the signs for Transfer passengers. You will need to know your arrival terminal and departure terminal so you can follow the correct signs.

Archived