Celebrity Kids Program

cruisebunny32

When we were on on Summit Hawaii to Vancouver in '02 for an 11 day cruise in May there were very few children on board. But I did see them doing activities throughout the 5 sea days. My guess is that Celebrity knows ahead of time how many children are on board and arranges activities accordingly. We are looking forward to taking our grandchildren on a cruise if we ever get some!

Does anyone know if a parent may bring a child under 3 into the kids factory if the parent stays? We are on the Millie Med in May and don't anticipate that many kids travelling so we are hoping that we can take her there for a little fun.

cs

Does anyone know if a parent may bring a child under 3 into the kids factory if the parent stays? We are on the Millie Med in May and don't anticipate that many kids travelling so we are hoping that we can take her there for a little fun.

cs

Sorry, but I've been told NO. :( No children under 3- potty trained or not- can enter the fun factory. Also, no adults at anytime can go in either. I know- I struggled with this for months and even email Celebrity. But- they claim it is a US health regulation or something- but other ships allow it. I think it comes down to insurance and liability.:rolleyes: We will be going in June with a 22 month old. There's other things to do to get the energy out- but she won't be able to use the Fun Factory- not even to play for 20 minutes. Maybe because you are going when there are few children on board- they'll make allowances? Good Luck. Enjoy your trip - like I said there's lots of places (basketball court?/running track) to use instead.:)

I have been reading this thread and there is quite a bit of confusion. I do not mean to sound like "the" expert, but I do have a good bit of experience with the kid's program, including as recently as just last week.

No children under 3 or completely toilet trained (i.e. no pullups!) are permitted in the Fun Factory. Period. No exceptions. Celebrity is trying out a Toddler Time in another area for about an hour a day. (BTW, Royal Caribbean has a full toddler program now.)

There is a Kid's Dinner every night except the first night. It is no charge on formal nights, but $6 per child on the others. You must book by 5PM for the 6PM dinner. As other options, the pasta/pizza station is open essentially all the time. The pool grill is open until 6PM, Sushi (yes, my son loves it) is open at 6PM and then there is room service (they will deliver personal sized pizza in a box - which my kid's love). Also the Aqua Spa usually has something, but generally not kid friendly.

There is a kid's program literally all day, every day. The catch is that the 12-2pm period is at $6 per hour per child and the kid's dinner mentioned above. The 5-6PM period has no club.

The charge for 10PM-1AM is $6 per hour per child, except on formal nights when it is no charge.

In the Med there are many children and a great kids program. However, a lower percentage of the children on board use the program because less Europeans use it for their children. Also, with so many all day tours, there are occassions when the morning and/or mid-day programs maybe combined or limited, cruise dependent. In 2003 my kids constantly asked if we would be back to the ship in time for an hour in the later afternoon.

BTW, I had a very long conversation with the head of the kid's program the last night of the cruise. She was wonderful, enthusiastic, caring and proudly explained that not only have the gifts for the kids improved (now not only T-Shirts but very cool backpacks!), Celebrity is going to be unveiling a much revamped and even better program in the next few months.

Hope this helps.

We just got off the Horizon yesterday. This was the 5th Celebrity cruise for the family (9 and 12 yr old). Some comments from what we saw:

One thing that was different than what we were used to was that the free slumber and pizza party was only for the 1st formal night. The 2nd and 3rd formal night (this was a 10 night trip) charged $6/hr for these services.

The bracelet was mandatory for all kids (cannot remember the age cutoff) regardless of whether the child participates in the kids program or not. There is a second bracelet that your child wears when they are signed into the kids program.

There was a sign prominently posted outside the Horizon kids room stating that it was against regulations for anyone not potty trained or under 3 to be in the playroom.

By the way, our children really enjoyed the kids program (again).

Does Celebrity offer pagers to the parents? When we sailed on Princess, we were given a pager in case we needed to be contacted. It turned out to be a good thing. It went off, and I ran up six decks, only to find that my daughter was fine, but bumped her head. The staff took care of the problem before I got there.

I've been following this thread very closely, it's been soooo helpful!! We're heading out on our first cruise Sat April 17th on the Mercury with our 3 year old daughter. :)

Just a few quick questions.

1. Any packing tips? things to bring, or not to bring? what did you find essential?

2. How much TV time do they get in the Fun Factory?

3. Do they make trips to the pool or other areas of the ship for the 3 year old?

4. Should we chance taking her to one of the formal nights? :eek:

Linda

PS I know I shouldn't ask here, but is anyone travelling with us with a little one? :rolleyes:

Our 9 year old was on about 9-10 cruises and did not see the formal night yet in the dining room. To think of it, she never been with us in the dining room. Much easier for us and her to leave her in the program. I think our older kids start going when they turned 11 or 12.

There is another thread "A kids point of View" that was written by two kids on this very page. How interesting that two threads are about the kids programs. I bet that is nice for the ones who have families.

Marilyn

Just a few quick questions.

1. Any packing tips? things to bring, or not to bring? what did you find essential?

2. How much TV time do they get in the Fun Factory?

3. Do they make trips to the pool or other areas of the ship for the 3 year old?

4. Should we chance taking her to one of the formal nights? :eek:

:rolleyes:

1. Bring a nightlight for the cabin and extra changes of clothes (at 3 my kids went through 3 shirts, minimum, a day!). A comfort toy, or bear.

2. No TV time. They have activities and then more activities. Some are quiet ones, so not to wear them out. They do have a movie in the evenings and sometimes later in the afternoon, but it is definitely NOT sit 'em down and leave 'em be.

3. The vast majority of the activites for 3 year olds is in the Fun Factory. They will have a scavenger hunt, a pirate parade, a talent show, etc., but they do not go in or near the pool (so don't worry!). They also will have at least 2 (and usually more) counselors for the Shipmates group.

4. Parents think taking their kids to formal night will be so charming. Trust me, my kids have been on 9 or 10 (???) cruises and they haven't and don't want any part of it. They have a Kid's Dinner program which starts at 6PM (you have to sign up by 5PM) that will make your child's night...and your night...much better. You will see an occassional pint sized tuxedo, and one or two kids that seem to like the first 30 minutes, but as we say, "It's their vacation too!"

Hope this helps...and don't worry about asking questions. That's what this is all about.:)

• 3 weeks later...

I want to thank everyone for their help. We just got back from our first 7 day cruise with the Mercury. My 3 year old daughter LOVED it!! I mean really LOVED it. She passed up San Diego zoo to attend the Fun Factory, or as she calls it the "Kid Area"!!

It was great relaxing holiday for my husband and I, and I got to spend a lot of time catching up with my parents.

She attend one dinner at the Manhatten Dining room, and she was miserable, all she wanted to do was go to the "Kid Area". We had 6 nights of relaxing, dining experience, I almost forgot what it was like!!

At the end she announced she wanted to live on the boat!!

HIGHLY recommend holiday for anyone with children!!

Does anyone know if you have to tip the Fun Factory staff? If so how much? We thought they were FABULOUS!!

PS: We did meet a 23 month old, who was there briefly with her dad in the Fun Factory, despite the fact she was potty trained, they couldn't leave her there.

PS: We did meet a 23 month old, who was there briefly with her dad in the Fun Factory, despite the fact she was potty trained, they couldn't leave her there.

Thanks for geting back to us! Glad you had a fabulous trip. So the 23 month old was allowed to play with Dad in the Fun Factory? He just couldn't leave her there? Were there a lot of kids in there? Thanks!:)

We always tip the counselors. They work so hard at making the kids, as you can attest, very very happy.

That said, Celebrity is very clear with their philosophy: "Kids are paying passengers too! You don't tip for the Activities staff, so you don't tip the Counselors." (Note: they all wear the same striped shirts.)

There is no "right" answer on tipping, but what will really make a difference is a note to Celebrity pointing out the great job they did and specifically noting any special counselor(s). Those things go very far!

I should have gone with my instincts and gave the staff a bottle of tequila :rolleyes:

The father had to be there with the 23 month old. We heard there was 120 children aboard. When we dropped her off during the day there weren't many kids around, about 2 or 3, but it was much busier in the evening.

PS I also recommend people look into the oceanview family suites in the aft. It has a double bed and separate livingroom that converts into 3 single beds. This is not an option for light sleepers and people who get seasick.

The father had to be there with the 23 month old. We heard there was 120 children aboard. When we dropped her off during the day there weren't many kids around, about 2 or 3, but it was much busier in the evening.

PS I also recommend people look into the oceanview family suites in the aft. It has a double bed and separate livingroom that converts into 3 single beds. This is not an option for light sleepers and people who get seasick.

I was just curious about being able to let my child play for 15 minutes or so (with me there) to get the wiggles out? I'll keep my fingers crossed. The rooms you re talking about are Family View and they are extremely hard to get. There's only 12 of them. They have huge balconies too- so people can entertain well in them. I think Celebrity is beginning to make a minimum of 3 people in the cabin when booking it (so more families can get them). Thanks for your repsonse.

International Orange, I am sure the counselors would have loved the tequila!

AVC, the cabins that International Orange is talking about are on the Mercury--the FO cabins--which have no balcony.

You mentioned that kids have bracelets identifying their muster stations. What age does this go up to? do teens have to wear them/

I looked it up in the 1st day's Horizon newsletter: All children ages 3-12 were required to wear the colored wristbands during the entire length of the cruise. As I said earlier, it applied to all kids whether they were formally enrolled in the children's program or not.

• 1 month later...

Robin, I just saw this thread and felt compelled to reply although it's probably too late. We took our then 7 year old son on the Millie Med cruise last year. The experience was amazing. We had done the Disney Magic twice before(both 7 day cruises) and expected a lesser kids' program on the Millie. It turned out we were right and wrong. On the Magic, they have something like 1,000 kids. Each counsellor is assigned a limited number based on when you sign in (ie when group A fills up move on to group B). Our son never really got the chance to know any of the kids because every time he went it was a different group of kids. Having said that, the program was still very good. On the Millie, when we registered for the program and asked about the number of kids on board, the people in the Fun Factory apologized and said there were only about 40 under the age of 10 (this was the late june /early July cruise, before all of the European kids were out of school- I suspect later in the summer the numbers change dramatically). We were nervous at first but it turned out beautifully. All of the kids got to know one another by name, to the point where we would see people in port and the kids would be talking to each other, even though the parents had no idea who the others were. This cruise is port intensive and we took it because our son loves history, so we never left him on board while in port- he did all of the tours with us. We also did dinner together because this was a family holiday and dinners are part of the experience (learning manners, trying new dishes, etc). After dinner, our son always asked to go to the fun factory, which seldom happened on the magic, and he spent most of the sea days there as well.

One other thing, Celebrity did an amazing job matching us up with dinner table mates. We sat with a single dad and his 10 year old son (dad is in same profession as my dh and roughly same age), and a single mom with her 2 sons (mom was roughly our age as well). We all looked forward to dinner every night. We had planned to skip many dinners due to tight timing with shore excursions but always rushed to make it in order to see our new friends and compare notes on the day.

While on board, we booked for the Constellation baltic cruise in July of this year. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the experience will be as positive as the Med. (The weather in the med is unbeatable).

Hope this helps!