Vancouver Liquor Store

QQK

We will be staying at the Westin Grand prior to our cruise. Is there any reasonably priced liquor store nearby? Thinking of bringing a bottle or two to the ship. :)

Unfortunately there is no such thing as inexpensive liquor in the province of British Columbia it is sold by our government and taxed to death. I would seriously recommend you bring your liquor or wine with you or purchase it at a duty free store at the airport before leaving the US. Each adult (over the age of 19) can bring into can into Canada 1.14 litre of alcohol or 1.5 litre of wine. The closest BC Liquor Store to the Westin Grand is located in Harbour Centre, located at 555 W. Hastings St. about 4/5 blocks away. There are a some private liquor stores around but they are licensed by the government and are usually more expensive than the government stores.

There is a private liquor store right in the Westin Grand - there is some competition between the stores and you will often find some specials. Private liquor stores are open late and usually seven days a week and Stat holidays.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks all the insights! Never thought that alcohol would be so much more expensive in Canada while we are complaning non-stop about the close to 9% sales tax in NYC. :)

I was born and raised in Vancouver, but moved to the U.S. years ago. However, I am reminded in this forum as to how much more civilized buying liquor is today in B.C., from how it was when I lived there.

The BCLCB (Liquor Control Board) did CONTROL all retail sales of alcohol, and had only a very limited number of stores. I remember the one on Pender which was close to my office. They were only only limited hours, and promptly closed at 5 pm. Sales were made by going to one counter, making your selection (from a very limited supply), going then to the cashier window, paying your money and then finally to a third counter, where they would get your selection and wrap it in heavy brown paper so no one would know what you just did!

We had nowhere near the selections of brands as there are today, and most believed that the BCLCB watered down what they did sell as "proof" was never shown in Canada. The prices were stiff - and I remember when first arriving in California, how much less the cost and how many types and brands were available.

And forget wine! The B.C. Legislature made a ruling as to what kinds of wines could be imported. No wines from California were allowed in and only a few French vintages were for sale. We heard that the then Minister of Highways had a vineyard in Penticton and tried to push his own Berry wines - - -

Enjoy your cruise - and be thankful for what you have today.....:rolleyes:

Your post brought back nightmares of how we used to purchase liquor in British Columbia....I remember it well. I believe that the last old style store was one in North Vancouver and it was only closed down within the past 10 years or so. It was kind of an embarrassment to the branch but they owned the real estate and were stuck with it. There is still the old LCB which does look after licensing and alike then there is the Liquor Distribution Branch which is now responsible for the retail sale of alcohol and of course they are much more retail orientated in fact the GM is a former Bay executive. It's the pricing that drives one nuts....living in AZ for 5 months a year I always suffer from sticker shock when I return home.

As for the strength of liquor in BC, I am of the impression that it has always been expressed as a percentage of alcohol by volume...in most cases spirits are 40% by volume which is the same as 80 proof in the US.

I too spend 2 months a year in Florida and get hit with the SKY HIGH cost of spritis on my return home. On top of it all my Dad has the priviledge of shopping on the US military bases and the Rum & Canadian Club there is only $7. per bottle for 1 l or just a little more for the big jugs....then we get home and have to pay over $20....

Good thing we are not heavy drinkers as that would definitely cut into our cruise money :):)

We always buy our quota of spirits to bring home with us....and we never take bottles from here to a cruise rather buy them in the USA just before boarding hopefully with Dad on a military base somewhere.

• 2 weeks later...

I think you'll be much happier to buy at Duty Free prices and bring it with you rather than "Sticker Shock" with the B.C. prices.

If you have the time, do stop at the BCLCB store at 555 W. Hastings. It is a short walk from the cruise ship docks. The store is well stocked, and is nothing like what I remember from years ago when I lived in Vancouver.

But, notice the prices, and prepare for a heart seizure!!

Archived