9:50 am flight in San Jaun

B&J1

Can I make a 9:50 am flight out of San Juan if we carry our own bags off? We'll be disembarking the Serenade Nov. 13, 2011 Anyone with personal experience doing delf-disembarkation in San Juan? If so, how early were you able to disembark and what time did you get to the airport?

thx for the help!

Can I make a 9:50 am flight out of San Juan if we carry our own bags off? We'll be disembarking the Serenade Nov. 13, 2011 Anyone with personal experience doing delf-disembarkation in San Juan? If so, how early were you able to disembark and what time did you get to the airport?

thx for the help!

You might, but I wouldn't count on it. Never book a flight earlier than noon out of SJU. Too many things can hold you up prior to disembarking the ship and then once at the airport all of your bags must go through USDA x-ray before they are checked or you go through TSA.

last fall we were on Celebrity Summit out of San Juan. Friends on the same ship had a 930 flight on AA to Dallas and onward from there and they did the self departure routine and made it with no problem. My wife and I wished we would have done the same as we had booked an afternoon flight and did not get home until close to midnight while our friends were home in time for dinner!

So it can be done.

Nobody can tell if you will make that flight or not; if you have no snafus you have enough time, but you have little wiggle room for delays. SJU can be a very busy airport and you have the extra step of an agricultural check. You have several areas where delays may arise:

*Ship arrives late

*Ship is slow to clear customs

*Line is slow moving for you to be cleared by customs agent after you leave ship

*Traffic to airport

*Long line for agricultural check

*Long line for checking luggage

*Long line for clearing security at the airport

I can say that I personally would never consider such an early flight from SJU - but some are bigger risk takers and might go for it. Realize that if you miss your flight, you likely will be made to pay change fees as well as any price difference between what you paid and the going rate. Also be advised that these days many flights fly full and you may be stranded for several hours (if not a day or two) if you miss the flight.

thx for the help!

there is also no guarantee they will allow walk off either. Port of San Juan can be iffy. Line ups at the airport are sometimes long and slow moving. It would be a gamble.

We went on Adventure of the Seas in January out of San Juan. Knowing that there could be headaches getting to the airport, we decided on late afternoon flights. I am glad we did as we had time to disembark leisurely, get a bab to the airport, go through both the agricultural screening (required of all bags, wheter carry ons or checked) and then could check in at our gate. We had time for lunch as well. Getting to the airport from the dock took 45-60 minutes as traffic was very heavy. There was only one other ship disembarking at the Pan Am pier that morning. Going through the agricultural screening took about 30 minutes, but I've heard it can be much longer. The line was relatively short at the time we went through. There were weather related issues affecting some passengers depending on where they were headed as a big winter storm was affecting major airports and hubs, particularly in the south. I am glad we had the 4:20 pm flight just to be safe. We are going agin in October and have the same flight home, partially because it is a non stop and gets us home before many of the ones that leave earlier in the day. I'd rather sit for a while at the airport than have to worry about making an early flight.

The only time you will be 100% certain about making the flight is the day you get off the ship. Even a very slight delay, whether it be by the ship or at the airport, could result in missing your flight. Can it be done...sure. Could you miss your flight....sure.

As others have said, it can be done. However, there is not a lot of room for anything to go wrong causing a delay. And remember, there have been cut backs in the number of flights to and from San Juan as well as smaller planes being used which cut the number of seats even more. If you end up missing your flight don't count on getting on a later flight the same day.

We have flown out of SJU several times (only once for a cruise), and stood in line with people who didn't factor in all the things mentioned by previous posters (they all missed their flights). Give yourself enough time for hold ups (and there can be plenty at this airport). We have a 1:50 flight out of SJU next January and feel like we can get off the ship without rushing, and still get home at a decent time)

We just did an 11:20 flight out of San Juan. I heard that earlier is possible, but sounds a little risky. If you're plane leaves at 9:50, they'll probably start boarding at 9:20. I believe the earliest they let you off the ship is 7:30. That assumes the ship clears customs in time. You then have to leave, find your luggage, go through customs, grab a cab, get the airport, go through the USDA scanners, check in, go through TSA security, and then get to the gate.

Here is our quick report on catching an 11;20 flight - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1396125&highlight=

I'd say there is a risk, but he SJU airport does not get busy until after 10. We did normal check out using the area designated for a 2pm flight and we were sitting on our duffs past security in the terminal by 10. As soon as you get to the airport get into the building and up front there is a USDA xray which you carry your bags up to and when they dump out the other end your good to go to ticket counter for check in and through security. At that time int he morning there was a 5 minute line at security and no line a check in counter.

my family has a friendly competition about who can leave the earliest. we opted for the baggage service. left the ship first with just carryon. claimed our baggage and it was whisked away. cab to airport. no one in usda line or security. it was great. we had time for a snack before boarding. think it was a 10:30 flight. great to not have to lug baggage. we did not get off the ship til 8ish. vertainly i would have a plan b but stuck in sju would have been fun!

We went on the Serenade last year out of SJ and went off the ship first being Diamond Plus, received our bags and made it to the airport, thru all the screenings etc at just about 9:00. I was lucky, having been employed by AA prior to 9/11, because the agent allowed us to standby for the earlier flight without a charge. I know for a fact that the price of tickets is low for the earlier flights and higher for later. Do not book the 9:30 flight... the last day of the trip... isn't worth the trouble if something happens and you don't make it.

thx for the help!

If you don't make it are you OK with paying full fare for the another flight?

You have a 50-50 chance of buying new one way tickets. Do you know wht that will cost?

We went through the same situation with our return flight to NY for this July when we return on the Serenade. We spoke with RCCL as it was a change to flight time after we had already booked the flight several months earlier. The agent said if we carried our own bags off we can likely expect to get off between 7:30 and 8 if all goes perfectly. Even at that time, it would be a mad rush to get through US Agric and security at the airport in time for the flight. Also there were no other non-stop flights that day or even flights with reasonable stop overs so we would have been in big trouble if we missed it.

DH and I opted to stay for the extra day in SJ and we booked that flight the following morning. Especially for us since we are on a B2B and likely would have a lot of luggage to carry off ourselves and get checked in on time.

Archived