Al and Chuck Cruises

I recently saw an ad for Al & Chuck cruises on Logo and wondered if anyone new anything about them? They seem buy a block of cabins on a regular cruise and resell them similar to the way I believe Pied Piper does it. I have been on several all gay cruises with RSVP and had a wonderful time, but was curious what mixed cruise is like. I wondered how the straight passengers were toward a large number of gay people on the ship and if there were any problems. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mike and I (along with six other gay friends) happened to book onto the same cruise (NCL Sun - Western-October) that Al & Chuck did last year. We looked at joining their group and at purchasing a pass to their events but in the end determined that it wasn't worth our money. Two of our group of 8 did book through them and I think they were pleased - but because of a sale we had purchased through ahead of them, it didn't cost them any more than buying directly from the NCL or an online TA would have. From what I learned, Al and Chuck owned or were very involved with Sawmill Campground in Florida and "Al & Chuck" travel grew out of trips they would put together for their regular campground clients. For our cruise they had somewhere around 400 or 500 folks in their group - mostly gay males, mostly 30s-60s I would say but some younger, some straight - in fact one straight couple that were with them, regularly post on here...I suspect Barbara will weight in on this thread. Their events that I know of consisted of a nightly party, typically 8pm or so I think with an open bar for an hour or so, they had entertainment aboard - what's her hame with the deep voice who won Ru's Drag Race last year- who performed at the parties. Each of the parties was themed - Toga, Military, the usual suspects:D They also had arranged to take over one of the specialty restaurants each night - Tuesday=Il Adiago, Wednesday=EastMeetsWest, etc. From what I remember, the cost was the same anyone would have paid. For the on no surcharge restaurant (Pacific Heights -gone now I am afraid) they were charged something but got a glass of wine as I recall.

To your question as to how the other passengers dealt with it - generally ok I think, though since we were sorta a part of the group - we may not have gotten the earfull that others onboard did. There was an instance poolside that got some folks up in arms, and after the cruise there was a good bit of discussion on the rollcall as well as on the Norwegian board regarding it. If you want to read those, you can (I think) look up my profile and then look at the threads I posted to. I was pretty involved with the rollcall and discussed it with several straight ladies afterwards and they said they thought those who were upset were overreacting - that what happened wasn't anything that didn't happen between two young straight folks on any cruise.

I will say, the White Hot Party was the best one I have attended! I got to bed at 2:30am which due to a time change was really 3:30:eek:

My best friend did Pied Piper's Post Thanksgiving cruise in November. He loved it so much, he's already booked this year's. He said there were no problems at all and they had well over 1,000 guys, mostly 25 - 50 with real jobs/lives/and personalities. I asked him if anyone else on the cruise seemed to care, he said not at all. He liked that he could book an upgraded balcony cabin as a single and still pay lower than if he had gone on an all gay cruise charter sharing a cabin.

I am aware that RSVP and Atlantis are more money but I have always felt that I have gotten my moneys worth and it is nice to be able to be yourself and not have to worry what others think. I also nice not having kids on the cruise. But groups like Pied Piper seem to offer more varied cruise destinations and I am certianly not opposed to saving money. Thanks for the information.

He liked that he could book an upgraded balcony cabin as a single and still pay lower than if he had gone on an all gay cruise charter sharing a cabin.

My RSVP fare for next February's Caribbean cruise is about 25-30% more than HAL is charging for the same cabin the week before and the week after our charter. And that is without any discounts such as when booking onboard (we were not on this years cruise) or RSViP points.

Edited by Boytjie

We are also booked on next years RSVP Caribbean cruise so I took your suggestion and checked the week before and after and we are paying about $300.00 dollars more each but I also noticed that the itinerary is slightly different, which may or may not have an affect on the price. In any case I always have a great time and have never felt ripped off on a RSVP cruise but it is nice to know that there are other options that cost less money.

My RSVP fare for next February's Caribbean cruise is about 25-30% more than HAL is charging for the same cabin the week before and the week after our charter. And that is without any discounts such as when booking onboard (we were not on this years cruise) or RSViP points.

Thats why I like the pied piper gay group cruises, they actually run about 5% less than the advertised cruise rate of whatever line they sail (RCL,Cunard,Celebrity, Etc). True they don't provide entertainment, but never been on ANY cruise (gay, gay group or straight) where entertainment was all that memorable a week or two after I returned.

Thats why I like the pied piper gay group cruises, they actually run about 5% less than the advertised cruise rate of whatever line they sail (RCL,Cunard,Celebrity, Etc). True they don't provide entertainment, but never been on ANY cruise (gay, gay group or straight) where entertainment was all that memorable a week or two after I returned.

My one Pied Piper cruise on QM2 had exactly the same fare as what Cunard was charging.

While the Pied Piper group was fun, it was nothing like a gay charter. :D Even most of our Pied Piper group was in bed by eleven and a small die-hard group closed down Commodorothy's and G32 every night - and no, it was not a typical older passenger cruise, there were plenty of younger people onboard.

I have had quite a few memorable events on RSVP cruises through the years. :D

Like every cruise, its all tradeoffs. Been on all gay charters that were less than memorable and others that were fantastic. Same true with gay group ones and even straight ones. So much depends on the crew, the other passengers, and just plain old luck.

I have been on the last 5 pied piper post thanksgiving cruises and we have never had a problem. We have heard that there have been problems but it was between another cruiser and ships staff. Basically the passanger was upset we were on the ship and did not think we had the right to be there. It got so heated that the passenger was put off the ship in Belize a couple of years ago.

On the larger groups, pied piper does bring entertainment on board, this year was Jason Stewart, who is amazing!!

You are right about that. I can honestly say never been on a bad cruise, and Pied Piper's have always been my favorite, but some certainly stand out more. That makes sense about entertainment, all the PP groups I've been on were in the 50-80 person range so never seen entertainers with those sized groups

• 2 weeks later...
You are right about that. I can honestly say never been on a bad cruise, and Pied Piper's have always been my favorite, but some certainly stand out more. That makes sense about entertainment, all the PP groups I've been on were in the 50-80 person range so never seen entertainers with those sized groups

I think that most of the Pied Piper Sailings are around the 50-80 person range except for the Post Thanksgiving Cruise, which was over 1100 last year.

On the full charters (RSVP, and Atlantis) you are paying for all the entertainment they bring on board.

2-3 DJs, at least one pop act, and at least one Broadway act, plus drag acts, and cabaret acts.....It's worth the extra money IMO, but we aren't always in the position to pay the extra, especially with the way the economy is currently....

• 1 year later...

I am very displeased with the service coming from AL and Chuck.travel. Getting an email less than 7 months in advance, notifying me that my cruise has changed drastically- just so they can make some more money by making more rooms on different(crappy) cruise line. Not only was I super excited to see my drag queens, but I was more concerned with the destinations I am now missing out on. Despite already shelling out, and over paying for my room aboard the Norwiegin Dawn, I purchased my flight to the departure port (Tampa)- that is non-refundable. Having being notified on May the 11th, giving me LESS THAN A WEEK to decide if I really want to cancel or not is seriously some major bull that any respectable travel agency would not do. If I cancelled my cruise and gave them less a week notice- not only would I have lost my deposit, I would have to pay an arm and a leg just to say- "oh I felt like I can pay less if I switch crusie lines." This is some serious sh*t they pulled on their customers basically refusing to APOLOGIZE- and try to not make it seem like they were not in the wrong in any way. It definitely feels they are "pulling one over" on me & has really left a bitter taste in my mouth. This is the first time I have dealt with Al & chuck and I can certainly say it will probably be my last. I'm sad to see such terrible service coming from a gay travel agency- and I really wish I could have made their agency my go to for future adventures. But, How do I not know they won't pull this kind of crap again?

If any Representative from Al&Chuck would like to speak to me further - please reply with your contact info

• 2 weeks later...

We did 2011 Pied Piper Post Thanksgiving. It was an EXCELLENT experience. Having a few done a few RSVPs we weren't sure what to expect. We will do BOTH again at some point in the future.

As to Pied Piper fares, we found them exactly the same. That 5% may be because they did not include port charges and taxes in their rates. Celebrity did.

Edited by jimnbillnpa

I think Al & Chuck have great value for the money, fun parties and well planned activities. I did not find Al or Chuck to be particular friendly but they do put together a good product.

Dennis

Jacksonville, Fl

499 days at sea

43 cruises

12 cruise lines

T/P, T/A, Hawaii, Central & South America, New Zealand & South Pacific, Rio/ Amazon

"Pied Piper is great, but wish they would change to a diffrent cruise line, now and than. Like Rccl or Princess"

Couldnt agree with you more...we like Pied Piper, but dont want to cruise with Celebrity.

I am very displeased with the service coming from AL and Chuck.travel. Getting an email less than 7 months in advance, notifying me that my cruise has changed drastically- just so they can make some more money by making more rooms on different(crappy) cruise line. Not only was I super excited to see my drag queens, but I was more concerned with the destinations I am now missing out on. Despite already shelling out, and over paying for my room aboard the Norwiegin Dawn, I purchased my flight to the departure port (Tampa)- that is non-refundable. Having being notified on May the 11th, giving me LESS THAN A WEEK to decide if I really want to cancel or not is seriously some major bull that any respectable travel agency would not do. If I cancelled my cruise and gave them less a week notice- not only would I have lost my deposit, I would have to pay an arm and a leg just to say- "oh I felt like I can pay less if I switch crusie lines." This is some serious sh*t they pulled on their customers basically refusing to APOLOGIZE- and try to not make it seem like they were not in the wrong in any way. It definitely feels they are "pulling one over" on me & has really left a bitter taste in my mouth. This is the first time I have dealt with Al & chuck and I can certainly say it will probably be my last. I'm sad to see such terrible service coming from a gay travel agency- and I really wish I could have made their agency my go to for future adventures. But, How do I not know they won't pull this kind of crap again?

If any Representative from Al&Chuck would like to speak to me further - please reply with your contact info

THE VERY SAME THING HAS HAPPENED TO ME. Back in January 2012 my partner and I booked a cruise advertised as departing from Tampa. We convinced 4 friends to also book on this cruise, three of which were from out of state. Shortly after booking we were informed that the departing port would no longer be out of Tampa but Port Everglades (Fort Lauderdale). The reason we were given was they needed a larger ship to accommodate the demand and newer, larger ships could not sail from Tampa due to the Skyway Bridge which spans Tampa Bay. We decided to not cancel the cruise and went anyway. Recently, AlandChuck.Travel again adverstised another cruise leaving from Tampa on December 9, 2012. When I called I was informed that they had sold out all of their alloted cabins and were trying to get NCL to release more cabins for them. I was told to check back in a week. When I did, I was informed that once again the port was changed to Miami and the reason was they needed a larger ship and that, once again, the newer larger ships cannot pass under the Skyway Bridge. This seems like a lame excuse to me, since any knowledgeable travel agent in the cruise line industry knows the Skyway Bridge exists, and if they didn't know it before the January cruise, they surely should have known it for the December sailing. So, the supposedly "sold out" passengers will have to depart from Miami rather than Tampa. Incredible that they would pull this off twice rather than honor what they advertised and sold/booked passengers on. My suspicion is that they employ bait and switch tactics. They advertise a Tampa cruise, get a number of people who make deposits, then switch to another locale to draw more paying customers. In my opinion, a reputable travel agency provides what they advertise, honors their commitment to those who trusted them enough to provide what was advertised, promised, and booked. I would NEVER consider booking ANYTHING with ALandChuck Travel again.

THE VERY SAME THING HAS HAPPENED TO ME. Back in January 2012 my partner and I booked a cruise advertised as departing from Tampa. We convinced 4 friends to also book on this cruise, three of which were from out of state. Shortly after booking we were informed that the departing port would no longer be out of Tampa but Port Everglades (Fort Lauderdale). The reason we were given was they needed a larger ship to accommodate the demand and newer, larger ships could not sail from Tampa due to the Skyway Bridge which spans Tampa Bay. We decided to not cancel the cruise and went anyway. Recently, AlandChuck.Travel again adverstised another cruise leaving from Tampa on December 9, 2012. When I called I was informed that they had sold out all of their alloted cabins and were trying to get NCL to release more cabins for them. I was told to check back in a week. When I did, I was informed that once again the port was changed to Miami and the reason was they needed a larger ship and that, once again, the newer larger ships cannot pass under the Skyway Bridge. This seems like a lame excuse to me, since any knowledgeable travel agent in the cruise line industry knows the Skyway Bridge exists, and if they didn't know it before the January cruise, they surely should have known it for the December sailing. So, the supposedly "sold out" passengers will have to depart from Miami rather than Tampa. Incredible that they would pull this off twice rather than honor what they advertised and sold/booked passengers on. My suspicion is that they employ bait and switch tactics. They advertise a Tampa cruise, get a number of people who make deposits, then switch to another locale to draw more paying customers. In my opinion, a reputable travel agency provides what they advertise, honors their commitment to those who trusted them enough to provide what was advertised, promised, and booked. I would NEVER consider booking ANYTHING with ALandChuck Travel again.

It's something to think about.:rolleyes:

"Pied Piper is great, but wish they would change to a diffrent cruise line, now and than. Like Rccl or Princess"

Couldnt agree with you more...we like Pied Piper, but dont want to cruise with Celebrity.

Your wish is their command. This year's (2012) post Thanksgiving cruise is on RCCL's Allure of the Seas...

Your wish is their command. This year's (2012) post Thanksgiving cruise is on RCCL's Allure of the Seas...

I should of also pointed out that: This ship is to big and the PP group has a hard time meeting up with everyone. The smaller ship are best.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a newbie to cruises. The December trip with AlandChuck will be my first.

I was sold on the trip when I found out the queens from Rupaul's Drag Race were going to be there. This is the biggest congregation of performers ever and one I didn't want to miss. So that's selling point number 1.

Then I found out the trip WAS going down to the site where the Doomsday prophecy of 2012 was fortold (sorry forgot the name). I've never been, and to be able to go and visit a site considered to be a world wonder, it was a deal not to pass. So that's selling point number 2.

In all it was a package worth more than what it was costing in my opinion.

So to my horror, when I received that email stating that the itinerary has been changed. Now it's just going to go island hopping. I was DEVASTATED. It wasn't what I had signed up for, in fact I was only getting 50% of my dream trip. But the sore points were there wasn't even a hint at these changes when booking the trip. The agents just played along and kept up the charade of everything was going fine. Then of course they had the "Computer issue" that weekend which meant no one could contact them. Once the weekend passed, the agents kept saying that it was really to our benefit that these changes were made. No indications of being sorry, no indication of compensation of any kind. It wa pretty much a "take it or leave it" attitude.

So I debated and debated. I really want to see the performers, where else was I going to see so many of them in 1 place? The islands aren't bad, but I've been to them before. The thought of being on a gay cruise still held merit. And I had already made plans to go.

In the end, I sucked it up and decided to still go. BUT, before all this, I was ready to plop down the entire payment and seal the deal. Now, I'm hesitant. I'm expecting the "other shoe to drop", because I'm expecting more drastic changes to take place. Most likely, some or many of the performers are going to bail out. Right now they have about 37. I'm guessing as we get closer, the numbers will drop and AlandChuck will replace them with "up and coming" Drag "Stars". If that happens, I think I'll take my losses and forego the $100 deposit.

It's sad really. I thought with a company like AlandChuck, who've been so consistent in sponsoring the show would stoop this level of underhandedness, has really left me with a bad taste in my mouth. Don't want my first cruise, and a gay cruise at that, be marred by all the shadyness. But what can I do right? All I can do is wait and see.

But reading the previous posts, if I have a good time on this trip, I'll book with RSVP or Pied Piper from then on. I would think really hard about going with AlandChuck again. They've got to really pull out all the stops to get my business again.

It's sad but true. Even in our community, we've got predators.