Matla - Quickest yet least expensive to Hypogeum

We dock in Malta at 9 a.m. Got tix to the Hypogeum at 10. I know this is cutting it close but it was all that was left. From what I have read, they aren't far away so it should be doable.

Best advice on transportation? I'm thinking taxi there just due to time constraints. Any thoughts on how long it will be or the cost? Also, if we don't catch the bus going there, where do we catch it (which one and which cost) to return to the main part of the city? (Or should we do temples before returning?) And what would you recommend there to close out the afternoon and in which order (i.e. Cathedral, palace, etc.) I think I read that the palace closes in the afternoon?

Thanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...
We dock in Malta at 9 a.m. Got tix to the Hypogeum at 10. I know this is cutting it close but it was all that was left. From what I have read, they aren't far away so it should be doable.

Best advice on transportation? I'm thinking taxi there just due to time constraints. Any thoughts on how long it will be or the cost? Also, if we don't catch the bus going there, where do we catch it (which one and which cost) to return to the main part of the city? (Or should we do temples before returning?) And what would you recommend there to close out the afternoon and in which order (i.e. Cathedral, palace, etc.) I think I read that the palace closes in the afternoon?

Thanks in advance!

When we were in Malta last year, we PRE-ARRANGED a tour at the Hypogeum. Just looked up my emails and found the following: "the special entrance to the Hal Saflieni, which is 10 euros per person, and has been arranged. As Chris, the tour operator from Tours in Malta advised "The Hypogeum only allows 10 visitors every hour" so it is a difficult ticket to get and one I am glad we have pre-arranged." We arranged a full day tour with two other couples who were also on the Princess ship and toured all day.

You might want to look in to this more closely. I just re-read your email and realize you ALREADY have those tickets - guess it will work out.

We arrived at 8:00 and took bus #11 from the bus circle at the entrance to Valletta. We arrived in Paola (suburb where the Hypogeum is located around 8:45). The difference was we had a 10:00 reservation so we went to the Tarxien Temples first. They are several blocks away from the Hypogeum. To answer your question, if you were in the first wave off the ship, I think you would be ok but understand by bus you have to get to the bus stop (a good 10 minute walk, we went via the parking deck and its' elevator, not up the hill on foot ;)), than about a 10-15 minute bus ride which drops you off at Paola Square, from there it is about 5-10 minute walk to the Hypogeum. The bus costs 1 euro/pp I believe (pay the driver). The downside is getting to the bus and at the other end finding the Hypogeum. I had a handheld GPS so I found it ok but some have reported problems. At the square, there are signs but you do have to look for them. The actual Hypogeum also is not what most expect. It is located in a house so it is fairly non-descript. The safe bet would be a taxi which I geuss would be 15 euros give or take. You could always take the bus back. At the stop, just ask the driver if the bus is going to Valletta, the drivers and fellow passengers are very friendly.

Kirk

Thank you...that helps. I figured it would be worth $20 not to stress about it and just take the taxi, especially not knowing where I'm going. I think you just confirmed it.

You don't think the taxi driver will be offended if I ask him how to take the bus back :) ? Good idea.

Thats what I would do, otherwise the taxi would have to wait 40 minutes for you. I do not recall any taxis when we came out so if you want one, you need to have him stay.

Kirk

• 3 months later...

We are also wondering if anyone has done a blue grotto boat ride in Malta and can explain how far to go it might be. Trying to decide if it's feasible. Thanks.
Rick Steve's videos and Rick was showing how he packs light.
I'm all for 'trying' to pack light. Just remember -- Rick doesn't 'dress up' and does lots of laundry in the sink :D

Anyone interested in sharing the ride from Rome (hotel) to Port around 12:30pm? Here's the info:

ROME TO CIVITAVECCHIA PORT

November 18, 2011 at 1.00 P.M. – Transfer service from Rome to Civitavecchia Port for 2 people plus luggage.

Rate: Promotional Rate Euro 114,00 Total (not per person)

Rate Includes: Baggage, Services, Taxes and Vat.

All our vehicles and drivers detain regular access permits in order to enter the internal area of the Civitavecchia Port in order to drop off our clients in front of the cruise ship entrance.

In order to book the service we wait for your confirmation with the following details:

Pick up place

Number of persons

RATES FOR 4 OR 7 PEOPLE

4 People –> Euro 130,00 Total – Not per person

7 People –> Euro 150,00 Total – Not per person

About the payment you will pay directly the driver at the end of the service.

If you are interested email me:shonilabowitz@bellsouth.net

I am emailing you :)

I was 15 minutes late to the Hypogeum and missed my tour. No refund, next tour was full. Very disappointed. Attendants there were of no help to reschedule that day or anything. Our ship got in a bit late that day. Take a cab. By the time you get cleared and off the ship you will have precious little time to find the right bus. JMHO

Understand there is nothing the attendants can do. The Hypogeum is fully booked something like two months in advance. I was amazed at all the people that just showed up from the ship with no reservations, some of them were mad also but it was there own fault. I understand a ship being late is not a passengers fault. I would also agree with the cab if you are anywhere close to the time of your reservation. In our case, we left the ship at 8:00 with a 10:00 reservation so the bus worked very well.

Kirk

I was 15 minutes late to the Hypogeum and missed my tour. No refund, next tour was full. Very disappointed. Attendants there were of no help to reschedule that day or anything.

I'm sure the next tour was full, I'm sure all the tours were full. The numbers are so limited bookings are made weeks or months in advance. That's not the attendants fault.

• 5 weeks later...
We arrived at 8:00 and took bus #11 from the bus circle at the entrance to Valletta. We arrived in Paola (suburb where the Hypogeum is located around 8:45). The difference was we had a 10:00 reservation so we went to the Tarxien Temples first. They are several blocks away from the Hypogeum. To answer your question, if you were in the first wave off the ship, I think you would be ok but understand by bus you have to get to the bus stop (a good 10 minute walk, we went via the parking deck and its' elevator, not up the hill on foot ;)), than about a 10-15 minute bus ride which drops you off at Paola Square, from there it is about 5-10 minute walk to the Hypogeum. The bus costs 1 euro/pp I believe (pay the driver). The downside is getting to the bus and at the other end finding the Hypogeum. I had a handheld GPS so I found it ok but some have reported problems. At the square, there are signs but you do have to look for them. The actual Hypogeum also is not what most expect. It is located in a house so it is fairly non-descript. The safe bet would be a taxi which I geuss would be 15 euros give or take. You could always take the bus back. At the stop, just ask the driver if the bus is going to Valletta, the drivers and fellow passengers are very friendly.

Kirk

Hi Kirk,

Your information is so helpful! We will be in Malta next May; and per your advice a visit to the Hypogeum and strolling through Valletta should easily fill our day. Thank you.

Carolyn

• 7 months later...
15 minutes max. from where the ships dock. When will you be here?, as a new road is about to be opened and the time will be less for sure.

We arrive on 25 September.

We dock at 8am so I am wondering if we should book the Hypogeum for 9am or rather for 10am?

We also need to be back at the ship after going to the Hypogeum as we want to pick up our children and all go through to Mediterraneo Park. They have offered us a Swim with Dolphins a 1:30pm. So we are on a tight schedule!

Do you think it's viable?

Thanks for your kind help.

Depends how quickly you can get off the ship. If you get a taxi (plenty when a ship docks) by 08.30 then you will definetly make the 09.00. But do not miss this opportunity for the Hypogeum. You can buss it back to Valletta www.arriva.com.mt There is also a bus service that runs close to the Mediterraneo Water park No.12, but can take about 1 hour to get there from valletta, by taxi would take no more than 15 to 20 mins max.

BTW the Village to get back to Valetta from the Hypgeum is Rahal Gdid (Paola) in the arriva's website. For the mediterranao it's Bahar Ic Caghaq and No12 is the direct one from valletta. Let me know if you need any other info.

We arrive on 25 September.

We dock at 8am so I am wondering if we should book the Hypogeum for 9am or rather for 10am?

We also need to be back at the ship after going to the Hypogeum as we want to pick up our children and all go through to Mediterraneo Park. They have offered us a Swim with Dolphins a 1:30pm. So we are on a tight schedule!

Do you think it's viable?

Thanks for your kind help.

I guess it might depend how you were planning on getting there but I think 10:00 is a more "secure" option.

Thanks SO much!

Just on more question: if we need a taxi back to the ship after being at the Hypogeum, is there a number we can call to arrange one to pick us up?

Not sure about the taxi number but when we left there were NO taxis in sight. Now it is a short walk, maybe 5-10 minutes to the Paola square which did have taxis so that might be the best option. Just be sure you have a map or GPS or something so you know where to go.

We walked it. Yes, we did. It took about 45 minutes at a good clip. However, the walk is not interesting, as the areas we walked through (first port, then residential) were not particularly interesting. But it sure was the least expensive way to get to the Hypogeum, and you asked for least expensive, so there you have it.

In your case, with only one hour from arrival to Hypogeum, I would recommend a taxi. You cannot be even one minute late to your appointment at the Hypogeum.

Thanks SO much!

Just on more question: if we need a taxi back to the ship after being at the Hypogeum, is there a number we can call to arrange one to pick us up?

Google cabs in Malta. Am I allowed to provide weblinks to 2 taxi companies on the Island on this forum. One even gives you a rate calculator. You could always phone them beforehand to collect you from the Hypogeum at a specific time. Also applies to the Mediterraneo

Google cabs in Malta. Am I allowed to provide weblinks to 2 taxi companies on the Island on this forum. One even gives you a rate calculator. You could always phone them beforehand to collect you from the Hypogeum at a specific time. Also applies to the Mediterraneo

Thank-you for this. I think you would be allowed to give the websites as it is in response to a question. I know I have helped posters on the Africa board in this way.

Moderators, please correct me if I am wrong!

Archived