passports & ports

Debbie325

No, you don't need to take your passport with you, but you will need a picture i.d. and your ship's i.d. Some ships put your picture on your ship i.d., so that would be fine. Some ships do not, so you would need like your license along with your ship's i.d.

Doone is generally correct, but there are some exceptions. If you are cruising in more exotic locales such as Russia or in places like Vietnam, you will need your passport to get on or off the ship, But if you're just going to the Caribbean or Mexico you will only need your ship's card and a photo ID.

Darcie

Hi Debbie,
Even if it is not required or necessary to have the passport with You, there might be situations even in the Caribbean that could be very helpful if you did have at least a photocopy of your passport's important pages. There are people that miss their ship's sailings, there are people that get sick or injured and end up in local hospitals, there are people that get in trouble with local authorities..........in all of these situations (and perhaps many others)it would be very helpful to proof your citizenship, not to mention that if and when one comes back to their country of residence, passport or its copy is very helpful.
I made several photocopies of the two pages of our passport's 'vital' information and one of the copies is always with us when visiting other countries.
Wes

Thanks for your replies. We'll be in the Caribbean (leaving tomorrow) and I was hoping I didn't have to take the passport on shore with me as I was wondering how to keep it safe in dry when swimming, snorkeling, etc. Copies are a good idea. Thanks again.

Archived