Question about Princess Alaska Cruise Tour

jeblaw

Ok I don't think I have seen this discussed: When booking the cruise tour through Princess, the only option for the LAND portion accomodation is "Standard Room." However when I look at the website for the various PRincess Alaska Lodges, there are certainly a variety of room types available from Standard to King Suites. What determines which type of room you will receive and is there anything you can do to upgrade the room? Thanks!

But how is the determination made as to whether you are assigned to a suite or a room with two double beds versus a room with a king bed, etc. Is this maybe based on the category of room booked on the cruise portion?

But how is the determination made as to whether you are assigned to a suite or a room with two double beds versus a room with a king bed, etc. Is this maybe based on the category of room booked on the cruise portion?

In the past, this was determined by what cabin you purchased.

The hotels are used 2-3 months a year. The rooms are clean and maintained. The location of the hotel is special, not the rooms. Think 50s style motel room. I don't think there are very many king rooms. A room with 2 beds gives the hotel more flexibility. I'm not sure if most of the hotels even have any real suites.

The tours are timed to get you to your hotel in the late afternoon. I'm not sure how easy it would be to change rooms. Are you looking for a king bedded room? Check with your TA. I have no idea if you can make the request.

I suspect many of the guests on a tour book balcony cabins or mini-suites. I don't know if Princess assigns suites in (some of the hotels) to guests who booked a full suite on board.

edited to add I think most of the people are just assigned a room with 2 beds.

We were on the exotic explorer cruisetour in August 2008. We had a balcony cabin. In Anchorage we had a large room with a king bed, at Denali we had 2 beds in a standard room, in Fairbanks we had a suite with a foyer, living room, king bed room, and TWO bathrooms- one with a whirlpool tub, at Coldfoot and Deadhorse the rooms were small and basic with twin beds and a tiny bathroom. We had no problems with any of the accommodations. They were all clean. Luggage always showed up and disappeared as they were supposed to do. I think you just get what you get.

If you want a different type of bed on the land tour portion of a the cruisetour just let your TA know, or place your request in the comments/requests window if you book online.

In our case we opted for twin beds on the cruise (for an inside cabin) but preferred a non-smoking room with king bed while on the land tour. Last week we received acknowledgment emails from some of the lodges (they merely noted the preference, but would not guarantee the bed type).

Also, on prior cruises while booked in a full suite we received the same "standard" accomodations regardless of cruise accomodations. So far, so good, but there is a large measure of "luck of the draw" regarding the specific room you will get..... some are just situated a bit better, or more recently renovated.

Archived