Taxi to FLL airport from

lauraapp

The fare should be around $15 depending on which pier the ship goes out of. If you are out of pier 2 (Princess) it could be as much as $20. If you are out of pier 18 (Royal Caribbean), it will probably be around $15.

I must comment on our recent experience out of FLL this past weekend.

We picked up a yellow cab at FLL heading to the port on Thursday morning. I had recently read a story about someone having some issues with a "tan cab" driver who they said attempted to add extra costs above the metered amount. So I watched the meter carfully.

Out of the airport, there is an add'l $2.00 charge which shows up beside the running meter rate. There are stickers on all the windows stating this. So we got to the port and our fare was about $15 or so give or take.

On the way back, we also took a yellow cab from the port. We were on Royal so I guess that's pier 18. There was no additional charge of $2.00 like from the airport so only the metered rate. I watched the meter and when we pulled up at the terminal, it said $14.90. My mother handed the driver a $20 and asked for $2 change (thereby giving him a tip of $3.10 or 20%). He replies in a snide voice "Give you $2 back" and then proceeds to state that most customers give him $20 for the trip. I reply immediately "please give us the $2 back", and he continues with this line. My mother at that point just wanted to give him the money and leave, but I refused. He popped the trunk, saying..."okay, I'll give you your $2" as he exited the cab. I walked around, pulled out our bags and took the $2. All the while stating that I will not be taken advantage of by a cabbie who thinks he can intimidate me into giving him a tip of over 30% just for driving us under 2 miles to the airport.

I grew up in NYC and took cabs all the time. And having that other story fresh in my mind made me all the more aware of the obnoxious actions of this driver. Seriously, if he'd continued to keep stating that others gave him $20, he'd have lost the entire tip.

I know that many might say that he's trying to make a living, he only asked, not a big deal, but seriously, as a passenger in his car, I was offended that he would try to get more of a tip from me than I was giving, and it was a perfectly acceptable tip. I work hard for my money too, and I don't throw it away because someone gets manipulative. I used to work as a waitress and I don't stiff people for service but this was ridiculous. Guess he thought we were dumb tourist who would be easily manipulated. He guessed wrong.

So for others travelling in the FLL area, please be aware that this is going on and make up your mind what you want to tip and stick with it. Don't let a driver push you around.

I must comment on our recent experience out of FLL this past weekend.

We picked up a yellow cab at FLL heading to the port on Thursday morning. I had recently read a story about someone having some issues with a "tan cab" driver who they said attempted to add extra costs above the metered amount. So I watched the meter carfully.

Out of the airport, there is an add'l $2.00 charge which shows up beside the running meter rate. There are stickers on all the windows stating this. So we got to the port and our fare was about $15 or so give or take.

On the way back, we also took a yellow cab from the port. We were on Royal so I guess that's pier 18. There was no additional charge of $2.00 like from the airport so only the metered rate. I watched the meter and when we pulled up at the terminal, it said $14.90. My mother handed the driver a $20 and asked for $2 change (thereby giving him a tip of $3.10 or 20%). He replies in a snide voice "Give you $2 back" and then proceeds to state that most customers give him $20 for the trip. I reply immediately "please give us the $2 back", and he continues with this line. My mother at that point just wanted to give him the money and leave, but I refused. He popped the trunk, saying..."okay, I'll give you your $2" as he exited the cab. I walked around, pulled out our bags and took the $2. All the while stating that I will not be taken advantage of by a cabbie who thinks he can intimidate me into giving him a tip of over 30% just for driving us under 2 miles to the airport.

I grew up in NYC and took cabs all the time. And having that other story fresh in my mind made me all the more aware of the obnoxious actions of this driver. Seriously, if he'd continued to keep stating that others gave him $20, he'd have lost the entire tip.

I know that many might say that he's trying to make a living, he only asked, not a big deal, but seriously, as a passenger in his car, I was offended that he would try to get more of a tip from me than I was giving, and it was a perfectly acceptable tip. I work hard for my money too, and I don't throw it away because someone gets manipulative. I used to work as a waitress and I don't stiff people for service but this was ridiculous. Guess he thought we were dumb tourist who would be easily manipulated. He guessed wrong.

So for others travelling in the FLL area, please be aware that this is going on and make up your mind what you want to tip and stick with it. Don't let a driver push you around.

One reason I always try to have plenty of one's, five's and ten's when I know we'll be taking cabs. So much easier to give them what you want and not bother with change.

Archived