Cruise from tall ship Silva in Halifax

If you are interested and are going to be in Halifax, Groupon has a deal for a cruise on the Silva for $18C, regularly $39C. This deal lasts for 3 more days. Go to http://www.groupon.com/halifax/

The Groupon deal for the Silva looked great until I checked out the details. While it says it's for a 1 1/2 hour daytime cruise, it doesn't give times until you go to their web site and see that, on week days (including 7/7 when our cruise stops there), the one for that length of time and price embarks at 2 pm. That wouldn't bring us back until 3:30, which I believe would be cutting it too close for what's listed in our itinerary as a 4 pm departure. So what am I missing?

If you are interested and are going to be in Halifax, Groupon has a deal for a cruise on the Silva for $18C, regularly $39C. This deal lasts for 3 more days. Go to http://www.groupon.com/halifax/

The Groupon deal for the Silva looked great until I checked out the details. While it says it's for a 1 1/2 hour daytime cruise, it doesn't give times until you go to their web site and see that, on week days (including 7/7 when our cruise stops there), the one for that length of time and price embarks at 2 pm. That wouldn't bring us back until 3:30, which I believe would be cutting it too close for what's listed in our itinerary as a 4 pm departure. So what am I missing?

Well, Halifax is Atlantic time. So does the ship's time change or stay on Eastern time? Is 4 PM departure local time or ship's time? I sure don't know. But it's possible that the 3:30 return time would be 2:30 ship's time.

Only thing I can think of.

Well, Halifax is Atlantic time. So does the ship's time change or stay on Eastern time? Is 4 PM departure local time or ship's time? I sure don't know. But it's possible that the 3:30 return time would be 2:30 ship's time.

Only thing I can think of.

Good question. As it turns out, I previously had a similar question relevant to car rental times, so I scoured the HAL Forum and even called HAL's customer service line. Bottom line from all was that for our stops, ship time is adjusted as needed to match local time which, more importantly in this context, matches the Arrival and Departure times on the itinerary. So the posted Departure of 4 pm for our cruise should, indeed, be 4 pm local time (ADT in this case).

Anybody sure they know differently?

Pizzalady1,

Thank you for the link.

I did try even called them to no avail.

Even email too.

I know Groupon, Inc. of Illinois is going public to raise a lot of monies.., ( IMHO ) IT WAS THE VERY WORST EXPERIENCE EVER WITH A SERVICE COMPANY I HAVE EVER HAD.

The deal sounded nice and I tried to find the Dates and Times which somehow they hide the basic information.

Trying to Book online at Groupon, Inc. site was like rowing a boat in sand...

p_silvahull.png

But thanks Maam again for posting the Deal it sure looked well and Halfax, NS, CA is a wonderful City and Port.

SHIP time is Set by the Master ( Captain ) of the Ship.

It is that person, usually a male, whom sets this.

Some ships do stay in the Port of Call Time on where they departed from and some use the Local Time as SHIPs time.

Some Ships in the Ports of Call are on different time's.

You may want to ask on each Ship trip what time the other cruisers are on to see.

In this case time does matter..in many times, means and ways eh...;):D

Good question. As it turns out, I previously had a similar question relevant to car rental times, so I scoured the HAL Forum and even called HAL's customer service line. Bottom line from all was that for our stops, ship time is adjusted as needed to match local time which, more importantly in this context, matches the Arrival and Departure times on the itinerary. So the posted Departure of 4 pm for our cruise should, indeed, be 4 pm local time (ADT in this case).

Anybody sure they know differently?

I did get an eMail back from the Halifax Ship firm.

Tusen Taak!

Hello AAAAmerican ,

Unfortunately our days tours do not start running until June 17th, but they do run until September 10th if you were able to go during that time frame,if you'll be in Halifax again.

Cheers,

Evelyn

Evelyn Staples

Tall Ship Silva

PO Box 2613, Halifax, NS B3J 3N5

Ph: (902) 429.9463 Fx: (902) 429.0334

evelyn@tallshipsilva.com

http://www.tallshipsilva.com

Now to me that's a nice eNote!

Not like what that (IMHO ) lousy firm, Groupon, Inc. wrote to me..

I do hope that Halifax, NS, CA firm obtains another nicer coupon vendor.

Wishing more firms did business like we do in the Greater NYC area. Yesterday ..eh...:cool:

Often the Groupon discount deals are set up so they are not useful for cruise passengers. I've seen this happen for Alaska ports.

However, the Alaska Groupon deals usually say that in clear terms.

I enjoyed being on the Silva in Halifax and didn't mind paying the regular (walk up) price.

Archived