St. Thomas with a toddler... Magen's Bay??

starshine214

We are traveling to St. Thomas with our 15-month old DS next month and still have not figured out what we want to do there. Everyone says we should not miss Magen's Bay but it is not easy to get to. I don't have much interest in shopping, though I'm sure a walk through town would be nice too. My DH is looking into scuba diving on the island (not sure where yet!), and my mom and I will have DS.

A few questions. I can't seem to find any excursions that are JUST a trip to Magen's Bay... They all include tours or other things that I'm not that interested in. I'm more of a beach person and just want to let DS run around in the sand a little bit. Do you think it is okay to just grab a taxi at port to take us to Magen's Bay?? We are not bringing a carseat so the taxi thing makes me a little nervous. I have an Ergo that I plan on toting him around in.

I've looked at the family boards but thought I would ask here since it is specific to St. Thomas. Any other thoughts on what to do with him while at port? I know he will nap at some point but I'm not counting on a specific time, and he can always nap in the Ergo. What about the butterfly farm or Coral World? I know he would probably love the butterflies... Anyone been there that can provide input?

Also, since I'm here, any recs for where DH should go scuba diving?

Thanks!!!

We are traveling to St. Thomas with our 15-month old DS next month and still have not figured out what we want to do there. Everyone says we should not miss Magen's Bay but it is not easy to get to. I don't have much interest in shopping, though I'm sure a walk through town would be nice too. My DH is looking into scuba diving on the island (not sure where yet!), and my mom and I will have DS.

A few questions. I can't seem to find any excursions that are JUST a trip to Magen's Bay... They all include tours or other things that I'm not that interested in. I'm more of a beach person and just want to let DS run around in the sand a little bit. Do you think it is okay to just grab a taxi at port to take us to Magen's Bay?? We are not bringing a carseat so the taxi thing makes me a little nervous. I have an Ergo that I plan on toting him around in.

I've looked at the family boards but thought I would ask here since it is specific to St. Thomas. Any other thoughts on what to do with him while at port? I know he will nap at some point but I'm not counting on a specific time, and he can always nap in the Ergo. What about the butterfly farm or Coral World? I know he would probably love the butterflies... Anyone been there that can provide input?

Also, since I'm here, any recs for where DH should go scuba diving?

Thanks!!!

Going to one of the beaches in St Thomas in a cab is very easy. Why do you think Megans Bay is not easy to get to?? They have a fee to get in but other beaches are free. You might try Coki or Sapphire beach as they are both free.

Personally I think the butterflies would be boring to a 15 mo old after 5 minutes but that's just my opinion.

I don't know about scuba diving. I'm assuming your husband is a certified diver.

My sister vacationed there a few years ago and said it wasn't easy to get to. It sounds like it is though. Do you think my DS will be ok in a cab without a carseat? I've heard and read some horror stories about the drivers there.

Yep, my DH is a certified diver.

You do not need any kind of excursion to go to Magen's Bay or any other beach. In fact, taking an "excursion" is like throwing away your money. When you get off your ship you will find loads of large taxis (many hold 15 or more) lined up at the port (at either Havensight or Crown Bay). There will be a "taxi starter" on sight who will ask you where you want to go and direct you to the appropriate taxi. The cost is set by the government (its posted somewhere near the port) and most do not tip extra on these larger taxis. My only caution is that none of these taxis have child seats and it would be hard to even use a child seat in many of these vehicles. When you are ready to leave Magan's Bay (or most other popular beaches) there will again be a queue of taxis (at Magens Bay they are in the parking lot) and you simply ask who is going back to the port. Once they fill the vehicle you will on your way back to the port. Its simple, efficient, and quite safe.

Hank

Archived