Does it make sense...

We just finished our first cruise and the family had such a great time they want to do the same for 2012 Spring Break.

...Does it make sense to book a year in advance? What are the advantages or disadvantages to booking so early?

Figure I would go to the experts...Thanks...

We just finished our first cruise and the family had such a great time they want to do the same for 2012 Spring Break.

...Does it make sense to book a year in advance? What are the advantages or disadvantages to booking so early?

Absolutely!! It means you'll get the room you want at the price you want and the dining time you want by booking it this early. I booked my next cruise for Feb 2012 about 6 weeks after we got home. The only reason I waited so long was because I had to figure out which ship and cruiseline I wanted to use next (I knew I didn't want to return to Carnvial yet).

The sooner you book the better choice of cabins you have. The better cabins always sell out first. Also, once you book, they can't raise your price later on. But if the price drops you can get the lower price, up to final payment time.

We booked two cruises for Sept. 2012 yesterday.

Enjoy your next cruise!

Rick and Deirdra

Hi Sammich--

(Disclaimer--not an expert, we just took our first cruise as well.) We had such a great time that we booked a cruise for February 2012. One advantage, that is important to us, is getting the room we wanted--a balcony on the hump.

It's a great idea if you can plan that far out. I booked my June cruise in July of last year. At the time my dad was coming as well. He was able to find an aft cabin that he wanted and I got a JS close to it. That gets less and less possible the longer you wait.

Well each situation is a little different. Also in the past few years the prices have gone high and low. Now with gas going up, the economy may go sideways again..........who knows how this will affect cruise prices this time.

If the price is low and I am on a ship at the booking time, I'll book it to keep the price low and get the onboard booking credit. Usually summer time prices are lower a year out so I always try to book any June thru July early. (however, we try not to travel during peak seasons or when school is out...but with school age kids it is difficult) Not the same logic for Sept thru December....these months the prices go up and down so I'll watch the web site and look for price drops and book when I feel it is right. January thu May is anybodys guess....If the price is low now.. go ahead and book it. You can make payments on the cruise and have it paid for before you know it. If the price is high... I'd would wait and keep checking the web site for price reductions.

There really is no set formula.....espcially in these times. Also RCI does NOT always refund you if the price drops. They have changed their policy.

We will be going on our 10th RCCL cruise in July. With the exception of a very short cruise this past month, we've always booked at least a year in advance. There's no disadvantage. If the price is low and it goes up, it doesn't go up for you. If the price is high and goes down, you can still get the reduced price. Cabin selection is important to us. We usually like to book 3 balcony cabins next to each other. For the July cruise, we booked in late June, and weren't able to get the cabins we wanted on the floor we wanted next to each other. Book as early as possible. Summer months are especially difficult. If you snooze, you lose!

Sounds like we will be booking shortly...expecially if the WOW sale I read about is happening.

Thanks again gang!!

Ahhh, you got on when we were getting off. I know how you feel. I was ready to turn around and get right back on.

The Wow Sale is definitely a good deal for new cruisers. Less up front money AND OBC. And if you're lucky to have a good TA, you can probably get even MORE OBC or other incentive from them.

Another advantage to booking way out is that you can pay it off with smaller monthly payments so it doesn't hurt the wallet.

Enjoy.

Erika

My philosophy has always been, "If you book it.. you will go." We tend to book 1 to 2 years in advance for our cruises. Our NCL EPIC, April 2013, was booked since the day it became available ( over 2 years out.)

Advantages:

1. Gives plenty of time to set aside money, set up payment schedule

2. Book excursions and restaurants one at a time and pay way ahead of time, it eases the pain and have widest selection.

3. Spread the word and get friends to join you.

4. Hitting the Roll Call boards a long time out

5. Best choice of cabins, and can change mind later on if find negative things out about the cabin.

6. If rates drop, can (sometimes) negotiate credit or an upgrade.

7. Can book airfare the day it goes on sale (+/- 270 days out, depending on airline) We save a lot doing that.

8. Can arrange babysitter / pet sitter well in advance.

Disadvantages

1. find yourself always checking the prices to see if you got a good deal

2. You get some email and an incredible offer is proposed to you on a different sailing / ship. You could always cancel your selected sailing and jump on the new one though.

3. If price drops, you may not get the difference.

4. People you do not want to join you find out you are going and have time to book the same cruise (in which case, refer to disadvantage #2)

Book it and you will make time for it!

For a family, take a look at the NCL sale about to happen (1-7MAY) - kids cruise free. There is information on the Norwegian boards about it, and they have good sailings on the nice ships too. May be a way to save money. Book through an agent and hold out for room credit as well.

I always book as early as I can, especially for family cruises where we usually need two connecting cabins (cabins with an inside door so you can go from one to the other without going into the hallway).

RCCL in the USA only has the fully refundable rate, I think. This means if you decide to cancel before final payment date (some 75 days prior to sailing), you get a full deposit refund. Note that this is not true if you book Carnival's Early Saver rate. Other lines might also have non-refundable deposit rates.

Archived