Straw Hats

Guest maddycat

We returned on May 7th from a Caribbean cruise on RCI's Explorer of the Seas. They had a great assortment of straw hats for sale on the ship for $10.

i have a straw type one that can be worn in various ways and very packable...i like it for when i will be in the SUN alot...on the beach...on the deck lounging...for excursions i have a different type one...canvas smaller with a strap...its great for having something on your head when you are taking those 'boat' rides!

but i prefer a hat with a larger brim to keep the sun out of face.

was even looking at the nylon foldable type at Magellans...love how it just folds up into a little keychain sack!--i have one of their totes like that i just LOVE!!

Do it! You'll be happy you did. I always wear hats like that on my cruise. I wear a non-packable straw one onto the ship at embarkation and I pack about 5 other packable ones to match outfits for onboard and for port days. You will save your face from extra wrinkles, you don't have to worry about your hair, and you'll feel and look stylish. Don't forget nice earrings for each hat. And a matching tote--or one to go with all hats. I always buy another hat at the $10 store or on shore. Sometimes more than one. They aren't expensive and they really make the outfit. I just bought a black one and a white one at Payless that are the shape of the hat in your photo, but will be able to pack flat. I also just bought a straw one there in the same shape, but I'll probably wear it onboard to prevent it from getting ruined. All hats were under $20. We always sit on the very back of the ship up on an upper deck and it is fairly windy back there. Never lost a hat to the wind yet. Have fun and enjoy your new hats.

Glad to hear this...i'll be on this ship in July and definitly want to buy one..

We returned on May 7th from a Caribbean cruise on RCI's Explorer of the Seas. They had a great assortment of straw hats for sale on the ship for $10.

I have a number of straw hats in different sizes, colors, and styles and wear them when I'm going to be in the sun. They keep you cooler and protect not only your face and scalp but also neck and if it's got a wide enough brim, your shoulders from the sun.

If I could just find one that would stay on when I'm in my convertible!

I'm interested in getting a straw hat. Are there "rules" on how to choose one that will suit me best? Rules on what they match?

I think you just need to try some on to see what suits you. The Tilley hat below goes with any casual outfit, I think:

R2_Natural_couleurnaturelle_regular.jpg

Steinmart, TJ Maxx, Marshalls and Ross usually have a nice selection. I like Betmar, which is usually in the $15-20 range at Steinmart.:) I think if you buy a neutral... black, white, natural or straw it would go with pretty much anything. If you're really into the matchy matchy look, they can be changed easily by adding a small scarf or flower brooch.

I don't see that this product contains any sun screen. Maybe there is more than one type. The description mentions that it protects hair from damage, but it does not claim to protect the scalp from sunburn. I would love to find a product that is for the scalp. The hats are cute and I plan to bring one, but I get a headache and hate to wear them.

Believe it or not, I bought a great straw, wide brimmed semi-floppy hat with a red/white polka dot tie strap..at Publix grocery store, nonetheless..$4.99...Have seen them at CVS also, in FLA.

I got a hat quite similar to the Helen Kiminski one with a black ribbon on Catalina Island for $24.oo. I usually "forget" my hats and end up having to buy something new LOL.

There is a hat in the Duluth Trading Co catalog that is collapsable and looks like raffia also in the $24.oo range, I plan on getting it for our cruise, figure it will be easy to pack and won't take up much space. I also plan on taking a visor that is white.

I truly am a hat person and have been all my life. I wear them everywhere winter, spring, summer, and fall. I love them and have a very very big collection of straw hats especially. The main rule about a hat is to get one that you feel comfortable in, both physically and mentally. If you don't feel comfortable in the hat you'll never wear it. The hat you show will go with any style swimsuit and would also look nice with both casual pants and summery dresses. I get most of my hats at TJ Maxx, Marshalls, Ross4Less, and on vacation wherever I travel. I rarely ever have spent more than $20 on one. I wear all kinds of styles depending on my mood and what I'm wearing. I wear everything from baseball caps to big-brimmed dressy hats. My favorite type hat is the classic beret. And yes, I do have a couple of straw cowboy hats and I have taken them on cruises lots of times. As I've gotten older, like my mom, my hair has thinned out so I wear hats way more often then I used to, but I have always worn them. My friends love my hats and are always borrowing them!:D

I admit I have a sickness--today I was out and bought 7 hats to add to my collection--six of them were $5.99 and one at Burlington for $14.99. Yikes! I came home and returned one I previously bought at Payless. Yes, I always buy one on the cruise, too, a western one if I can find it. Help! This has got to stop.

I love hats, especially on Sunday morning when I sleep in too late to mess with my hair before Church. :D

I have a bunch of antique hat pins to secure the hat to my head. They also work great for securing my hat to my tote during travel. Sometimes I just leave my hat pinned to my tote when I toss it in the overhead bin so I don't forget it.

Taking along an umbrella to use as a parasol is also a good idea. It Asia they are common, but you can use them anywhere your heart desires. Set a new trend. ;) It is also handy if you experience a cloud burst.

It wasn't until my last cruise did I get into hats. When i was in St. Martin, it was just so hot, that it wasn't until I bought my hat (similar to yours) did I feel any sort of relief. I think its a must have!

I too had a suspicious growth on my scalp - turned out to be a cyst this time, but I'm getting better about always wearing a hat in fair weather. Just got an Oasis Sombrero from REI that has a chin strap, comes in sizes, and has a floatable brim. I haven't worn it yet but it is cool - not as classy as the straw hats, more of a camping adventuring hat, but I'm wearing it on our Eastern Med cruise in Sept. I may look like a tourist, but it is pretty hard not to with a camera around my neck.

Beth

I found a hat new with tags at the thrift store. It is made out of fake feed sack fabric. My Husband tried it on and it did not fit him. He said he wanted to snag it. It is cloth and I can wear it in the water to protect me from the sun.

The Chicos hat is adorable but just know that the chicos hat with the Chicos price can get blown off your head or get sand in it and you cant wear to swim in the ocean. But buy it if it works for you!!! :)

I just bought a straw hat at Target similar to the brown zebra one pictured previously. On our last cruise to the Caribbean I ended up with Melasma (big brown patches) on my face that was rather unsightly. I now plan to wear my wide brimmed hat to protect my skin. Usually I wear a sunvisor, but it doesn't protect my scalp or enough of my face. Now I just need to find a cute scarf or two to wrap around the hat.

I bought 2 straw hats recently. I bought one from the JCrew outlet for $20 and I bought one today at vera bradley for $38. A little pricey for a straw hat that i'll be wearing in the summer only but I really liked it so i got it. Can't wait to wear it on my next cruise!

I just bought a UV protective parasol from China on Ebay. I sure hope it gets here before we leave as I have always wanted one of those fancy lace parasols like the women carry around in China.

You can check them out here: http://cgi.ebay.com/Handmade-Embroid-Lace-Parasol-Folding-Anti-Uv-Umbrella-/180670026968?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item6fc3da588b

This one has a double fold so it will fit easily in my tote. :D I am so happy.

With a big straw hat, sun screen and a UV parasol, I should be good.

If I really like it, I think I will buy a pretty white or cream lace one to use around here--just in case we ever get any sun in Seattle. :D :D

Just bought a new sun hat see here

http://www.hm.com/gb/product/81743?article=81743-A

but the brim was sooo big and floppy so I´ve cut it down and remodelled it. If I knew how to post a pic I would. But it´s similar to this

http://www.lordandtaylor.com/eng/womensapparel-sunshop-forher-accessories-Classic_Roll_Up_Kettle_Hat-lordandtaylor/166811/?utm_source=GAN&utm_medium=Affiliates&utm_term=na&tag=GAN&ctcampaign=221&utm_campaign=ShopStyle.com&utm_content=&cm_mmc=Affiliate-_-GAN-_-ShopStyle.com-_-Primary

So the brim can be rolled back or down as the required.

It´s made of paper straw, so it can be folded quite flat, as it there is no metal in the rim. I will also spray it with waterproofer which will help keep it clean.

Sandy in Spain

Archived