Civitavecchia area suggestions

ddcruiser

We are on a back-to-back from Nice to Civitavecchia (Rome) and back to Nice, arriving Civ. on July 2 early am, must be back on ship by 4:30 pm. Any suggestions for nearby areas to visit, particularly to the north of Civ., guides to take us around, restaurants for lunch would be appreciated. We don't have time to head to Rome and have been there recently, so looking for other places, things to do.

Thanks for any suggestions.

ddcruiser

We are on a back-to-back from Nice to Civitavecchia (Rome) and back to Nice, arriving Civ. on July 2 early am, must be back on ship by 4:30 pm. Any suggestions for nearby areas to visit, particularly to the north of Civ., guides to take us around, restaurants for lunch would be appreciated. We don't have time to head to Rome and have been there recently, so looking for other places, things to do.

Thanks for any suggestions.

ddcruiser

I would recommend Ostia Antica. It is 15 minutes from the airport, and 1 hour from Civitavecchia. Unlike Pompeii there is lots of shade.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ostia_Antica

Contact Stefano at Rome Cabs.

Thanks for the suggestions for visiting Ostia Antica. I wonder, though, if it would be wise to take advantage of the quiet day and just wander Civitavecchia for a bit, have a seafood lunch at a restaurant there, then head back to the ship for a nap or quiet afternoon. These back-to-backs have no sea days, so maybe we need to take advantage of this one, quiet day. What about Civ. itself? Thanks, ddcruiser

Thanks for the suggestions for visiting Ostia Antica. I wonder, though, if it would be wise to take advantage of the quiet day and just wander Civitavecchia for a bit, have a seafood lunch at a restaurant there, then head back to the ship for a nap or quiet afternoon. These back-to-backs have no sea days, so maybe we need to take advantage of this one, quiet day. What about Civ. itself? Thanks, ddcruiser

If you are not having any sea days, then I would advocate the quiet day option or at least quiet in sense that you won't be in go, go, go mode.

Though the ship is only really quiet between 9am-11:30am and then boom embarkation begins! you will probably hear talking in the hallway etc.

(ear plugs work perfectly for this occassion)

I havent stayed in the port town, so I can't give advice on that.

If you are not having any sea days, then I would advocate the quiet day option or at least quiet in sense that you won't be in go, go, go mode.

Though the ship is only really quiet between 9am-11:30am and then boom embarkation begins! you will probably hear talking in the hallway etc.

(ear plugs work perfectly for this occassion)

I havent stayed in the port town, so I can't give advice on that.

Having stayed in Civitavecchia before a cruise on the Quest,I can tell you it does not take long to walk the town. Not a lot to do. Some wine shops if you wish to pick up any supplies and a "super" market, if you could call it that. Many little sidewalk cafes. We stayed at the Hotel San Giorgio (number 1 on Trip Advisor) and they had a marvelous lunch; so this may be an option. It is quite a walk from the ship to the entrance of the port and then from the port entrance to the action in the middle of town. Hope this helps somewhat.

Thank you all for your replies and info re: Civitavecchia and surrounds. I think we are leaning towards a walk into town, a nice lunch somewhere (perhaps at the hotel suggested above), then back to the ship for a lazy afternoon and nap. We have done 14 day trips without sea days and it's very tiring. I think we've decided not to exhaust ourselves. Why cruise if you come back wiped out???!! Thanks again, ddcruiser

• 1 month later...

Hi

We have stayed in Civ before a cruise Legend of the Seas and visited there on another Brilliance of the Seas. We took the Shuttle to the entrance to the port and then just enjoyed a stroll into town window shopping and back along the seafront. Although I do recall there being quite a bit of grafitti in parts.

We were also there earlier this month as we were on Mariner of the Seas on the 'Holyland' cruise. On the way back to the airport it did look as if a few of the shops had closed down. Plenty of cafes around and I am sure a stress free day will do you the world of good.

Enjoy

Geoffrey

Skeezics is giving you good advice !

Civitavecchia is not a very picturesque town and it won't take you long to see everything that there is to see! Take time to have a cool drink at one of the pavement cafés on Via Traiana or along the sea-front.

There is a small market (fruit, vegetable, fish etc.) and flea-market which are very colourful. While there, treat yourself to a lovely floral arrangement for your cabin for the second leg of your cruise !

Have a great time.

B&T

I like all the suggestions to stroll, munch, and return to the ship but I need to say we thoroughly enjoyed a recent X shore excursion to Ostia Antica. Extensive ruins, and mind-boggling to imagine this site as the busy, int'l port it once was. Not the stark drama of Pompeii but much of the same sort of 'window to the past.'

A few years back, we decided that travelling to Rome for part of a day was probably foolish, and that we would go back again some day (which we have done).

At any rate, a fellow passenger told us about Tarquinia, a city about 5 miles from the port, with an Etruscan history. Turned out we could catch a bus from the port, for about 1.5 Euros, and catch the return bus about 1:30 pm (best I recall). It was one of the nicest places we've been to. It's a bit off the beaten path, so there are tourist, but not throngs. There is a museum chock full of antiquities from the Etruscans, there is an old cemetary or burial ground (which we passed because my wife hadn't had her knee replaced yet.

After roaming around the town for a few hours, we sat on a hotel balcony overlooking the city square and had a beer (or wine) or two with some fellow travellers.

Caught the bus back, and congratulated ourselves!!

If we were to have another 1 day stop at the port, we'd probably do it again (and this time hit the graveyard)

Having stayed in Civitavecchia before a cruise on the Quest,I can tell you it does not take long to walk the town. Not a lot to do. Some wine shops if you wish to pick up any supplies and a "super" market, if you could call it that. Many little sidewalk cafes. We stayed at the Hotel San Giorgio (number 1 on Trip Advisor) and they had a marvelous lunch; so this may be an option. It is quite a walk from the ship to the entrance of the port and then from the port entrance to the action in the middle of town. Hope this helps somewhat.

Hi

Glad to find someone who has stayed at the Hotel San Giiorgio. My husband and I are thinking of staying their prior to rhe cruise and having them pick us up at the airport. How was the Hotel. and the accomendations, etc.

Carole

Archived