My ambitious Alaskan Itinerary

jeblaw

In 59 days I will be having my first meal in Alaska!! I am so excited about this trip that I know I have totally driven everyone I know here at home crazy. They all wish the trip would hurry up and get here so I would stop talking about it! :) We are going to celebrate my 50th birthday and have packed a huge amount into the trip:

We arrive in Fairbanks on June 30, then return home (flying out of Vancouver) on July 18. OUr first three days are in Fairbanks on our own at the "Moose in the Garden" B and B. WE will be taking a trip to Barrow and the arctic Ocean during this time ( gotta meet Fran at Pepe's)!

We join up with Princess tours in the evening of July 2 and have the following land excursions planned for the next 8 days:

Chena Hot Springs and Ice Museum, North Pole, AK, Eldorado Mine tour, Sternwheeler River Boat in Fairbanks, Tundra Mountain golfing near Denali, The full day Kantishna experience in Denali, a river rapids trip in Denali, a Talkeetna River Float trip...just to "slow down" a bit, a day in Seward to include Exit Glacier and the Sea/Aquarium.

THen on to the ship in Whittier with: Dog Sledding and glacier flight seeing in Skagwway, Takshanuk 4x4 moutain trail adventure in Skagway, whale watch/glacier photo safari in Juneau, and the Bering Sea Crab tour in Ketchikan.

We will be in Glacier Bay on my actual birthday so we have the Champagne Balcony Breakfast planned, as well as massage time in the spa. We arrive in Vancouver on July 16 and will fly out of Vancouver on the 18th. Some of our tour and excursions we booked on our own, some through Princess.

I think we will be happily exhausted after the trip.

Much of the decision making was made so much easier by the several months of reading people's posts on here...thank you for all who post about their experiences! THis will be not only our first cruise, but our first time in Alaska as well.:D

We are going SB on June 4 with 6 days before on our own. Did you rent a car and set up all the excursions on your own or are they through the ship.

It sound like a great trip. You will be exhausted and ready to plan your return trip when you get back. I love Alaska!

I re-read your post and see you did both on your own and Princess.

Have a blast!!

EB

We will be in Fairbanks the end of July. I would love to hear your feedback on Chena Hot Springs when you return. I can't decide whether or not I want to plan it into our itinerary. Please post when you return.

Thanks and have a great trip.

I will definitely post when we return. I hope you will too. I cant wait to read about other people's great times in Alaska this year!

Kruiser54 since you get to go almost a month before me, please post about your trip!! I hope it is fabulous!

We also have a very ambitious trip planned for our June 12th cruisetour! We are in our early 30's and are very much on-the-go people so it works out for us even if experienced AK visitors say we're doing it wrong....;)

We are in Fairbanks 6/12 -6/14 and plan on Chena Hot Spring & Ice Hotel, Museum of the North, North Pole, Pioneer Park and the Sternwheeler Riverboar cruise.

In Denali 6/14-6/16 and will be doing the TWT, whitewater rafting and an ATV excursion.

In Mckinley 6/16-6/18 and will be doing a Summit flight and fishing.

In Skagway 6/21 and will be doing heli-dog sledding and a private tour with Becky.

In Juneau 6/22 and will be doing a glacier trek with Northstar

In Ketchikan 6/23 and will be kayaking and then flightseeing over Misty Fjords

Last day at sea will be spent in the spa to recover! :D

I understand your excitement and am annoying everyone I know as well! :)

We are in our early 30's and are very much on-the-go people

In Denali 6/14-6/16 and will be doing the TWT, whitewater rafting and an ATV excursion.

As "on-the-go" people I think you will regret the TWT. Why not rebook that to the shuttle to Eielson or Wonder Lake? Even if you can't get a refund, the shuttle bus will be much better for you - goes further (prime bear habitat) and gives you the option to be "on the go" by getting off the bus, hiking, etc.

Same with OP - the Kantishna Experience is an experience in spending 4x the money one otherwise would by taking the shuttle bus and doing a ranger-led activity separately.

WE will be taking a trip to Barrow and the arctic Ocean during this time ( gotta meet Fran at Pepe's)!

Reads like you have really done some good planning for your first trip. Barrow is a treat that most don't get to experience. Make sure to take your swimsuit so you can join the Polar Bear Club. Fran will come out to watch as you completely submerge in the Arctic Ocean.

If you're lucky, the Whaling Festival, Nalukataq, will be going on.

Account4fun: Sounds like you have an awesome trip planned as well. You sound a lot like us, wanting to do a lot and not sit around too much...and I alos have prebooked some spa time on the ship to recover!! lol:) You wil have to post your trip summary and reveiw when you return!

Frugal Travel: I have been thinking about doing just what you suggest as I think it would allow me more freedom to photograph and hang out where we want. Thanks!:)

Chilkoot: Swimsuit and Polar Bear club are already planned...well for me anyway...DH says I am crazy, but he will be happy to watch and film the craziness! I am just hoping the freezing water won;t make my heart stop !! :D

Frugal Travel: I have been thinking about doing just what you suggest as I think it would allow me more freedom to photograph and hang out where we want. Thanks!

Absolutely no question for serious photographers. Shuttle buses give you WAY more flexibility to photograph wildlife.

jeblaw,

We are also joining a Princess cruisetour on July 2 in Fairbanks. We will be boarding the Island Princess on July 6. Is this your same cruisetour?

I have booked excursions both with Princess as well as through independant tour companies. I have booked the following so far:

Fairbanks:

8:30a - Riverboat Cruise - Part of cruisetour booked with Princess

1:00p - Gold Mine Tour - Part of cruisetour booked with Princess

Denali:

07/04

6:50p - Husky Homestead Tour - Booked through Princess

07/05

7:30a - Tundra Wilderness Tour - Upgraded through Princess

Skagway:

7:30a - Yukon Rail & Bus Excursion (7 1/2 hours) - Booked with Chilkoot Charters

Juneau:

7:00a - Whale Watching Tour - Booked with Harv & Marv

12:30p - Helicpter Landing on Mendenhall Glacier with dog sledding - Booked through Princess

Ketchikan:

12:20p - Misty Fjords Float Plane Tour - Booked through Island Wings

I am going to need the last sea day for relaxing!!

Hey jhunger! We will be on the Coral Princess beginning on July 9. I think our Land tour part with Princess may be the same day as yours..July 3rd? And we head toward Denali on July 4-6, Mt Mckinley July 6-7 and Kenai July 7-9 before heading to Whittier the late afternoon of July 9.

Archived