Standards have slipped on Boudicca

We have just returned from an 8 day cruise on Boudicca. We have sailed with Fred Olsen a few time and we found the standards have slipped do they call this cut backs as the staff are few and far between. The food was of a high standard and the waiters worked hard to serve us. the cleaning was few and far between. the tables were left with dirty glasses full ashtrays etc The dreaded noro virus appeared again, makes us wonder why this ship always carry the bug, the swimming pools were closed self service stopped. There have been many angry passengers on this cruise that were going to complain to Fred Olsen and many will not sail with him again. We returned to Liverpool ahead of time, 9PM Saturday 29th and not Sunday 1st May. a total disaster The captain had strong words with the pilot as a ship was coming out of the lock preventing us to enter. Captain told us we would go in on the next tide. OH he told us all it was high winds ok we didint feel them. We awoke next morning to find we were going to Dublin were Boudicca were picking up a private Charter for a 10 day cruise I must say Fred Olsen did everything to get us all back to Liverpool. Some flew back. Some via Ferry baCk to Hollyhead then coach to Liverpool after a night in a hotel in Dublin. will we cruise with Fred Olsen at this stage we dont know.

When you book a cruise because you are frightened of flying you expect not to fly! I was not surprised we ended up in Dublin. Like you I heard the Captain say we would anchor off the bar and enter on the next tide to Liverpool at the end of the cruise. This is a safety aspect and we have to respect that, however, I did say to my husband at the time, bet we wake up in Dublin, knowing that the ship was sailing from there on the next trip. So no big shock when we got up and found ourselves on the approach to Dublin. I could have taken bets on it.

I respect Olsen's regard for safety in this aspect because Langton is a terrible dock to get into and this is why Olsen are not cruising from Liverpool after June, its time the city got the passenger terminal business sorted out. They are losing so much money and goodwill.

However, to be clearly seen to be anchoring off the bar (obviously to wait for the next tide) and then to suddenly depart for Dublin without telling us is not cricket in my opinion and probably a decision of the cruise company and not the captain. They should have tried on the next tide in daylight and then if no go fair enough. Hollyhead would also have had high winds so it would be unsafe to try for there as well which the captain correctly pointed out.

I was terrified on the flight home and it really spoiled my holiday which up until then, noro not withstanding, had been really good. The sight of men in masks on embarkation was a bit off-putting. I would have taken the ferry option but our flight was the first one out and I could not get any satisfactory information regarding alternatives so decided to brave the 30 minutes of hell in order to get home. I knew the ferry trip would be another 6-8 hours so it seemed the better of the two options. However, having to carry four large bags to the coach and getting them into the airport was not funny and we really found this a real drag.

I agree that staffing levels seemed to be lower than when we last went on her and I thought a couple of the main meals were a bit 'school dinnerish'. We certainly won't go with FO again mainly because of the way they handled the surcharge - I have to concur that they have to consider safety

and so I can't argue on the change of docking port because I do not have enough information but I do know that docking in high winds into Langton with such a big ship can be dangerous.

Overall we really enjoyed the cruise and especially the Royal Wedding day and celebration meal etc in the evening. We were lucky with the weather and I felt we were well catered for. Our table waiter Joselito was superb and really made our meals pleasant and enjoyable.

We hardly saw our cabin stewardess though, which is unusual, and I felt the bathroom in our suite was well below the standards one would expect at Marquee level. It definitely needed refurbishing. Such a shame that it all had to end as it did with a lot of grumpy ill informed people.

Hi, we, too, were fortunate to be allocated to the first flight out of Dublin. Had we not been, we would not have got home same day.

We did find on this trip that there was a general lack of announcements telling people what was going on, and nearly all of the announcements did not come through to the cabin, so we had to hold the door open to hear them.

We heard the announcement late evening, after we had let the Liverpool tugs go, that we would go out to anchor for a few hours. The next announcement after that was after we had eaten breakfast, when we were told we were going to Dublin. A lot of us already knew - I had woken in the night to discover that we were moving, and on checking the tv screen saw that we were heading away from Liverpool. I stirred again a couple of hours later, and looked again, at which point Dublin was clearly the destination. We were not surprised - we knew the next trip was scheduled to leave Dublin on Sunday, and we knew that this had happened before. By 4am, a plane had already been chartered.

It took a very long time for information to come out officially, and when we left the ship, there were still a lot of people who had not been given any details about their own travel arrangements. It was already clear that a lot of people would not get back to Liverpool before midnight, even if they got away from Dublin that day (and surely they had to disembarked fairly early, to allow for the next group of passengers to get on).

One of the announcements said that the decision to go to Dublin was made by Head Office - that figures.

There was a lot of anger - people had booked this on the basis that it was a locally based trip and involved no flying - many had very serious problems about going anywhere by air - whether these be medical problems or varying degrees of phobia. Very few of these are likely to book with Fred Olsen again.

I also agree about slipping standards. It is not as good as Black Prince used to be. Cleaning was being done regularly, but maybe not as rigorously as it should have been in a virus situation. The reductions in staff numbers will not have helped. The restaurant staff are grossly overstretched now.

Fred Olsen are charging too much for at least some of their trips, too. For what was effectively a shuttle bus from Leixoes port to Oporto for only a 3 hour stay there was £16.50. By walking up the road to a tram station, you could get there for any length of stay for under £5. They were also offering a coach connection from Langton Dock (had we got back there) to Liverpool Lime Street station for £15. They're having a laugh.

I wasn't going to comment on the resent criticisms of Boudicca but I am afraid I cannot keep quiet any more. We were on this ship in summer 09 and again this March/April. There was a gastrointestinal infection on board in March but to be honest, they did seem to be trying hard to prevent it, and many passengers were ignoring the hygiene 'rules'. The Captain was very good with his announcements and at the end of each pleaded with passengers to 'wash their hands', so much so that he was nicknamed by many passengers as 'Captain Handwash'. The ship both times appeared too full and crowded - even more so now they have made more cabins. The new gym is good but you cannot use it for most of the time on sea days (just when you would want to) because the trainer holds various courses in there. and you cannot use any of the cardio machines during that time On several days I noticed that there were 6 various courses/lessons between 0900 and 1700 - not leaving too much time for the passengers to use the machines. It rather makes the gym only a 'part time' facility. I too noticed that on the last trip there was no broadcast of announcements in the cabin, several people commented on this, I presumed that there were'nt any on Boudicca unlike Balmoral. I do find the restaurants in Boudicca very crowded although the staff are lovely as always. Again they are just too squashed up and the Secret Garden Cafe is just not big enough. I would have been annoyed like yourself over what happened in Liverpool but perhaps, after all, it could not be helped. I am a fan of Balmoral and shall remain so, some passengers told me that Braemar and Black Watch are nice ships - I have yet to find out but I will probably not use Boudicca again which is a shame because she is a pretty little ship.

We did have a great cruise inspite of the drama,s We too had Josolito he was a fab waiter cannot fault the service in the dining room. Had a couple of moments with the open sitting Our friend was on crutches the Maitre dee tried to split us up he was told to get lost. We could have flown on the 1pm flight but Ann was not allowed to fly hence the ferry. WE had a fab time in Dublin a great coach tour and an evening meal with a show. Hats off to Fred Olsen it must have cost him dearly for the transport home. There were a lot of people angry about certain aspects that took place on the cruise. We still have issues with the left glasses and dirty ash trays left the ship was rather scruffy who wants to see glasses left from the night before lying around i for one dont. This is partly due to the small minded people dumping the glasses everywhere. I Wonder how many people said the same thing we are on our way to Dublin. a fair few. how the staff tried to advice us all when they didnt know what was going on. Can we understand the Captain when he comes over the speaker i for one couldnt. It was his job to keep us all well informed about the issues, for reasons of his own he didnt.

Who was at fault here the captain or the pilot that ship that was coming out of the Lock shouldnt have been there delayed us going in hence us missing the tide. The private charter was all that mattered never mind us. Twice we have been on Boudicca and twice we have been late disembarking.

I would have thought it was the port authorities who are responsible for traffic in and out of port, the pilot is just there as an advisor to the captain who is always deemed responsible for the vessel.

Having said that, we live quite near Liverpool as the crow flies (but accross the water). The weather at that time was very windy - not constantly so - but fierce gusts from time to time and bits came off our roof. Hence, I would imagine there would be delays of ships coming out of a lock into open water, (if indeed they can do so), as there is in any similar situation. We have experience the same with a big backlog and delay coming out of Amsterdam in the past - sometimes it just cannot be done. No one would want to see safety compromised to the extent that a boat is damaged and possibly sinks!

However, we have also experienced the lack of organisation that often goes with Fred Olsen Cruises and I wonder if another cruise line would have gone straight for Dublin and an organised pre planned disembarkation and return to Liverpool. That would also depend on the weather forcast though and we were not aware that the weather was going to be as it was, so perhaps it was not avoidable on the day. Must admit stories like this are tending to put me off cruising altogether, but my memory is likely to be short lived!

At least no one was injured.

I am in the process of compiling a lengthy complaint to Fred Olsen about what happened on 1st May 2011 and will hold fire on commenting here publicly until I receive their response.

I will also be complaining to Liverpool Airport about the truly appalling way in which they treated elderly and disabled passengers disembarking from the 19.45 ex Dublin flight (the final flight): this flight eventually took off from Dublin at 21.30 and landed in Liverpool at 22.02: it was then 40 minutes before several disabled / elderly passengers were able to leave the aircraft. There was NO LIFT available so they were helped down a steep flight of 15 steps: on reaching the ground there was NO WHEELCHAIR in which to get to the shutle bus, NO WHEELCHAIR available from the shuttle bus to the terminal and NO WHEELCHAIR within the terminal. This is despite the fact that I heard a request made from Dublin for 8 wheelchairs to be available for this flight's arrival in Liverpool! Add to this luggage trolleys were located some distance away from the Baggage Reclaim area and to top it all one could not get a luggage trolley without paying £1 or Eu1: Welcome to Liverpool! I wonder what the Equalities Commission will make of this state of affairs at a British airport.

The attitude of the Olsen employee in the Arrival Hall was disgraceful: his only role seemed to be directing very tired and upset Boudicca passengers out of the Arrivals Hall as quickly as possible and towards the shuttle buses to the City Centre and Langton Dock. He had clearly made no effort to inquire as to the inadequate service that disabled / elderly passengers were receiving and he made no attempt (bear in mind that it was now well after 11pm and most passengers had been up since 6am) to offer food or drink or to ask whether he could assist passengers to find hotel accommodation in Liverpool. He could not even bring himself to apologise on behalf of Fred Olsen for the awful experience many passengers were still enduring.

What a way to end an otherwise excellent cruise!

So sorry t hear of all of the bad experiences with Fred, some of the issues raised must have been quite distressing.

This business of Liverpool bound cruises ending up in Dublin does seem to be becoming a bit of a habit though.

Has anyone put in a complaint to Fred Olsen at the head office, if so have you had a reply. I sent two complaints one to head office and one via Cruise Kings of both i as still awaiting a reply from them. As soon as i hear i will post on here.

I have just read the post about the treatment of the paseengers that travelled by plane. This has disgusted me to hear that the infirm were treated so badly. How can we put our faith in Fred Olsen to cruise with him again. We were looking at cruising the Black Watch for next year. we are now having second thoughts.

Chrissy

When the Black Watch failed to return passengers to Liverpool a few months back and disembarked them in Dublin instead, much the same happened. Some friends of ours were on board and complained in writing. They did get a response.

We did the same last year when a port was skipped for what the passengers saw as the convenience of FOCL.

We also got a response so I expect that you will get the same. Don't expect too much though it was all very generic stuff with no real substance.

When the Black Watch failed to return passengers to Liverpool a few months back and disembarked them in Dublin instead, much the same happened. Some friends of ours were on board and complained in writing. They did get a response.

We did the same last year when a port was skipped for what the passengers saw as the convenience of FOCL.

We also got a response so I expect that you will get the same. Don't expect too much though it was all very generic stuff with no real substance.

Received the mundane letter today nothing new there. A differant story to the one we were told on ship. never mind we are all home safe which we should be thankful for.

THE next question is what cruise do we book next and who with. Mmmmmm will have to think long and hard any idea,s guys

Chrissy

We've had "the" letter, too. No real surprises - the change of port will all be covered in the small print of their conditions, and it's a case of "we got you home, eventually, and that's all we have to do, so you can't expect any more from us".

We were surprised about there being no tugs at Holyhead, there always used to be some there, but a bit of research shows that to be correct - and having taken a photo of the port as we flew over it on the way home, I've zoomed in on it and confirmed no tugs in sight.

Interesting that Boudicca appears to be the least well loved of Fred Olsen's fleet.

Be careful choosing cruises - some of the cheaper ones will treat you even worse if anything goes wrong. As with most things - you get what you pay for.

.[/quote

I,m sorry but I,m afraid it was Boudicca again ,not, Black Watch.I was on that cruise and the Captain had no alternative but to go into Dublin and they didn,t want to accept us.

It was nothing to do with Olsen ,it was weather related and Holyhead and Liverpool closeing the ports and refusing to let the ship in.

We were treated extremely badly by Dublin and Liverpool Airports,because Thomsons was a charter and they wouldn,t give Thomsons a slot,over the schedule flights.

There was no illness on that cruise ,expect a bad cold that went round, started by a young lad on embarking at Newcastle.

I have sailed on Boudicca 7 times and came back from the Cape Verde Cruise in April and have not been on Boudicca when they have had trouble before.

However I will say ,the Gastric outbreak, which effected about 75% of the ship can be put down to some of the most selfish ,dirty people I have ever meet on a cruise.:)

Haha had to laugh at your comment dirty people, oh boy plenty of them around. It doesnt take two seconds to wash hands after useing the bathroom. i always carry anti bac spray in my handbag, use it all the tme even after i washed my hands when out and about. These people are the moaners when they get the bug. and expect others to bow down to there needs.

Wonder why the Boudicca has reaccuring problems.

Chrissy.

I don,t know why Boudicca has a recurring problem, I only know its talked about more, many cruise ships have the problem ,Caribbean, Holland America, Cunard, P&O but its keep quiet ,people don,t talk about it and with them being bigger ships,probably not noticed the same as on smaller ships.

I do know Olsen has an older clientèle ,who through health reasons are perhaps more susceptible to on board infections.:)

I don,t know why Boudicca has a recurring problem, I only know its talked about more, many cruise ships have the problem ,Caribbean, Holland America, Cunard, P&O but its keep quiet ,people don,t talk about it and with them being bigger ships,probably not noticed the same as on smaller ships.

I do know Olsen has an older clientèle ,who through health reasons are perhaps more susceptible to on board infections.:)

It’s true that all cruise ships suffer to a greater or lesser extent but FOCL are more vulnerable than most because they allow self service at the buffet and only introduce waiter serving when things are really bad. The US cruise lines tend to stop all self service as soon as any infection is identified if they allow it at all.

The fact is that if an infected person ahead of you uses the buffet utensils then it is more or less impossible to avoid getting it on your own hands when you use them. ‘On hands’ effectively means ‘in mouth’ it’s as simple as that.

It’s true that all cruise ships suffer to a greater or lesser extent but FOCL are more vulnerable than most because they allow self service at the buffet and only introduce waiter serving when things are really bad. The US cruise lines tend to stop all self service as soon as any infection is identified if they allow it at all.

The fact is that if an infected person ahead of you uses the buffet utensils then it is more or less impossible to avoid getting it on your own hands when you use them. ‘On hands’ effectively means ‘in mouth’ it’s as simple as that.

Maybe FO should adopt a waiter service at all meal times to see if this stops the spread on Boudicca we sailed the Black Prince a few times and never came across norovirus.

Yes I agree with that,perhaps instead of the company spending money putting in new cabins and putting the most uncomfortable bench seats you can imagine in the Neptune lounge ,they should have redesigned the buffet areas in the Secret Garden and the Restaurant buffet,so you could be served .

To my mind ,although I think she is a lovely old ship, she is now overcrowded and uncomfortable.:)

Just found this, about the cruise that left Dublin on 1 May, after we were kidnapped and taken there:

"Avoiding the hassle of airports, this cruise departs directly from Dublin port. With regional coach transfers to the ship, nothing could be more convenient."

Ha, Ha. What about those of us who went on a cruise from Liverpool because it avoided the hassle of flying?

(Source http://www.cruise2011.com/docs/cruise_brochure.pdf )

Just found this, about the cruise that left Dublin on 1 May, after we were kidnapped and taken there:

"Avoiding the hassle of airports, this cruise departs directly from Dublin port. With regional coach transfers to the ship, nothing could be more convenient."

Ha, Ha. What about those of us who went on a cruise from Liverpool because it avoided the hassle of flying?

(Source http://www.cruise2011.com/docs/cruise_brochure.pdf )

Thanks for sharing the link well well well wonder if this is Freds sideline to make up moneies lost because no more cruises from Liverpool. Maybe we should have stayed aboard and gone round again. as for Dublin we are doing a 4day cruise Not On FO THOUGH kiss the Blarney stone this time me thinks

Archived