Slow bar service

gosport11

Just back from the Eclipse 4 day to Cork,our only complaint was the service in the bars,there were no waiters to be seen,we even cleared our own table,also had to queue at the bars waiting to get served i hope this is a 1 off and not a trend :(:( At 19.00 there was 1 person serving behind the bar and doing everything else in the sky lounge not good

The packages were being pushed on the 1st day we didnt buy and came out about the same :):)

The service issue was raised at the captains club party which had more waiters than you could shake a stick at ;);)

On the whole we had a good time and the food service was up to the normal standards as was the quality and selection even booked another whilst on board

Just back from the Eclipse 4 day to Cork,our only complaint was the service in the bars,there were no waiters to be seen,we even cleared our own table,also had to queue at the bars waiting to get served i hope this is a 1 off and not a trend :(:( At 19.00 there was 1 person serving behind the bar and doing everything else in the sky lounge not good

The packages were being pushed on the 1st day we didnt buy and came out about the same :):)

The service issue was raised at the captains club party which had more waiters than you could shake a stick at ;);)

On the whole we had a good time and the food service was up to the normal standards as was the quality and selection even booked another whilst on board

Hi,

As the 15% service charge is now included, how much was charged for beer & spirits. Was the wine by glass / spirits package limits increased accordingly.

Jim

This seems to not just be a "1 off" issue. I, as well as others, have observed this recently. Just returned from a 4 night sailing of the Century and it was evident that the bars were understaffed as was bar wait staff.

We were on this one too & felt the same as you - day time bar waiter service was close to non-existent - there just didn't seem to be any waiters on duty & we too had to queue at the bars to get anything (though things did pick up in the passport bar on the final day).

We even had problems with finding an open bar during the day where there were also available seats (I know the weather wasn't the best which probably affected this) - not helped by the newspaper on the final day which had bars open that weren't (Sky, officially open at 11am, was in use for a private function at 12 & still at gone 1 - Captains Club gatherings we believe) and vice versa (passport & martini bars not due to open til 4pm, but both open around 1pm).

Things seemed better in the evening, but that was probably because we looked for the emptier bars & sat at the bars themselves - loved the martini & molecule bars:D Great service too at Michaels club once second sitting has gone to the dining room.

Hi,

As the 15% service charge is now included, how much was charged for beer & spirits. Was the wine by glass / spirits package limits increased accordingly.

Jim

Copied the following from another forum:-

"Just back from a wonderful break on Eclipse. Our drink packages worked really well. The prices on board have now increased but the package limits have also increased - for example: Limit for a glass of wine on Premier is now up from $12 to $13.75 and on the Classic it is up from $8 to $9.25. The 15% is included in the price so there is no need to tip the waiters."

Hi,

We had this problem with the Eclipse last August. Bar staff hard to find and certainly a total lack of any bar staff on deck. Always had to go inside to get drinks. The only places service was good was in the martini and molecular bars and MDR. We did wonder if it was because we had purchased packages. We then went on the Eclipse Nov/Dec from Miami. Totally different level of services bar staff everywhere, excellent in every respect. I must admit we wondered if it was because one sailing was from the U.k. and one from the States. We decided to go on the Soltice from Barcelona this August as friends had reported same problem in September from Southampton. These same friends were on the 4 day trip to cork They have not yet arrived home but we will be asking for their thoughts.

One thing that would probably help is if passengers would stop socializing with waiters during busy times.

I never actually saw any of this. At least on the cruise I was on, it was a definite understaffing of waiters.

The prices now show the price inc the 15% and the package limits have been increased they seemed very popular,

Another hold up was the amount of irsh coffes being served also another hot cocktail which seemed like a mulled wine,we meet the captains club hostess but cant remember her name ,same with hotel director,if when we cruise again in Sept it is the same i shall not be best pleased and will complain,i will make allowances for the party type cruise but still shouldnt happen :)

We were on the Cobh cruise this weekend too and noticed that the bar service was incredibly slow. The first day when we got on the ship it was virtually non-existent and some of the staff were quite rude (shock horror!!) :eek:

However, they improved as the cruise went on but, like a previous post, also noted that the times the bars opened were hap-hazard.

Still, the restaurant waiting staff (early sitting) more than made up for it!

We didn't buy the drinks package and roughly broke even! Decided against it as we were not on the ship for quite a while when we arrived in Cobh as we met friends and spent the evening with them!:D:D

cruise? Perhaps because the cruise is only 4 days long, they gave staff time off and shifted bar staff to be wait staff? It is harder to predict how many bar attendants will be needed than how many waiters, bus boys etc. It is odd though considering the extra revenue generated at the bars:confused:

With a drink package the 15% is already added so they don't care if you get served because they already have your money. A better way may be to add 15% to your folio for the drink that you are actually served. That way the servers would be more "available".

My husband & I were on the Millennium on the 3rd of January & during the entire 11 days (we returned to the ship for lunch) bar service was virtually non existing in the buffet area. Elsewhere it was fine, just not by the buffet. We did not buy drink packages.

Even going back to 2007 when my wife & I sailed on the Milli the bar service was always slow. I remember one night having martini's with another couple before dinner in the MDR. They were 40 or 50 people in the bar having drinks while only two bartenders waited on everyone. Luckily we sat the bar so are service was not too bad.

Archived