Grandview Seward/Anchorage Transfer:

SEPyle

Has anyone used this particular transfer, available thru Celebrity. I understand it is a 5 hour transfer. I went to the Alaska Rail Road website and don't see this option. The regular train transfer is listed and I believe it about 3 1/2 hours, but doesn't leave Seward till 6pm or so. The one thru the cruise line I beleive is earlier in the day. I then did a google search and I saw info on other lines such as Princess so it's probably the same. The cost is $89.95. for those who have used this train transfer and if so was it a good option? How scenic was it?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Sharon

It is the cruise contracted train. SAME tracks as the regular run. :) Just more costly and goes to the Anchorage airport. The regular run of the Seward/Anchorage run is the same amount of time 4++ hours. Superior scenery compared to the Seward Highway. The negative with the cruise contracted trains- NO TIME for Seward. A big loss in my opinion, well worth at least considering the regular run of the railroad- cheaper too at $59.

That's great information, Sharon. Never knew about that option. Must consider it for my return after the cruise.

BQ...what concerns me about taking the regular train from Seward at 6pm is the tight schedule upon arriving in Anchorage. If the train arrives on time at 10:15pm, one still has to get to the airport, check-in, and all that. My flight happens to leave at 12:50am. In having to be at the airport 2 hours in advance of the flight, it doesn't leave alot of 'wiggle' room for anything to happen during the train ride.

By staying in Seward till 6pm, there is lots of time to see the town...on the other hand, but taking the cruise's train transfer, one arrives in Anchorage with peace of mind about not missing a flight.

Decisions, decisions.......what would you do?

That's great information, Sharon. Never knew about that option. Must consider it for my return after the cruise.

BQ...what concerns me about taking the regular train from Seward at 6pm is the tight schedule upon arriving in Anchorage. If the train arrives on time at 10:15pm, one still has to get to the airport, check-in, and all that. My flight happens to leave at 12:50am. In having to be at the airport 2 hours in advance of the flight, it doesn't leave alot of 'wiggle' room for anything to happen during the train ride.

By staying in Seward till 6pm, there is lots of time to see the town...on the other hand, but taking the cruise's train transfer, one arrives in Anchorage with peace of mind about not missing a flight.

Decisions, decisions.......what would you do?

You need to make sure that the "Grandview" train runs for your particular ship on that morning...not all have them.It goes right to the airport.I personally would spend the day in Seward and take the later train.You shouldn't have any problem getting to the airport by 11pm.I'm never there more than an hour earlier than flight time.Never have had any problems and being it's later at night is good.

Thank You Glacier Lady for your information. For sure the Grandview Train is for my cruise...Sharon confirmed it.

Now, next question...if I stay in Seward for the day....do you know where I could store my suitcase(s) so I could look around town until the 6pm train to Anchorage? Lugging one, maybe two, suitcases around wouldn't be too much fun. Would the train station have a holding area, do you think?

Glacier Lady....I really appreciate your helpful information...if you ever need any info about Ottawa, Canada....ask away!!

Have a great evening!

Your very welcomed.Thanks for the Ottawa offer. I love living here and showing off this place. The train will store your luggage for free after 9am.Make sure you have anything you might need before dropping it off.Once you leave it there you won't see it till Anc that night.I would suggest a taxi to drop off your luggage,it's not a very far walk,4-5 blocks from cruise terminal,but not very nice having to fight a gravel parking lot with luggage in tow.There usally are taxis waiting outside,if not there's a courtesy phone right inside the terminal by the pay phones.Ship-train fare is $5.

Thanks so much for the information! You're right Joyce, there are so many considerations and decisions to make.

Actualy Joyce, the regular run does sound like a good option for you - especially since you can leave your luggage and are free to explor Seward! The other couple in our group who are interested in the train don't have the option of the later train. Their plane I believe leaves at 9:20 pm. That doesn't work for the later Alaskan Railroad transfer so the cruise line Grandview train I believe is their best bet.

Actually I found out from Celebrity that since they are doing their air thru the cruise line they can upgrade their transfer once on the ship for either $24.95 or $35.00. I've talked to different people at Celebrity on different days and have heard $24.95 two times and today $35.00. Bottom line, that's a very good option since the train is much more scenic!

Thanks both Glacier Lady and Budget Queen for the informaiton!

Sharon

Thank you once again, Glacier Lady....you are so helpful. That is great news that the train will store my luggage :) Cab fare is certainly not expensive. It is all coming together.....

I think since I already have my ticket purchased, I am leaning towards storing my luggage and exploring Seward.

Okay, Glacier Lady, next..next question...what shouldn't I miss in Seward? Any quilt shops?? Any lunch time eating establishment that shouldn't be missed? Any other suggestions....is there a Seward website?

Hope I'm not taking up too much of your time....but again, I truly appreciate all your suggestions.

Hope your Tuesday is a good one................. :D

http://www.sewardak.org/Lots to do here. Exit Glacier is a very nice walk.Free ranger lead walks 11am & 3pm.Taxi $50 rt per van There is a quilt shop and a locals co-op of handemades downtown.The Seward Museum on 3rd under the senior center is interesting esp with the 64 quake items and lots on history/Iditarod.Eathquake film at the library 2pm and Sealife center are a couple ideas.Lots of restaurants with Chinnooks having a great upstairs view of the harbor/ship.I'm patiently awaiting the arrival of the ships and if you really want to take up my time you can look for me when you get here. :)I will give you my personal grand tour and fill up your day too if you want :)..~~Renee~~

I love these boards! Reading from the last up is sometimes such fun! Since I've met Ladysail on another cruise, I know she loves quilt shops. So then when I read there's a quilt shop in Seward, I thought...that's sound's like a plan coming together!

Thanks again for your help - there's nothing like hearing about a place from a local!

Sharon

Renee..once again...merci beaucoup! You are so helpful. A quilt shop..oowie..I like that..and the SeaLife Centre! I was looking at its website last night and it looks really interesting. Thank you for the Seward site...I couldn't find it...will now go look at it.

I just may look you up...wouldn't it be great to meet.

Sharon, you are so right....again. It is very kind of Renee and all those like her to help us out to make the most of our visit. Believe me, it makes my excitement grow.....no wonder everyone that I talk to speaks so gloriously of Alaska! Not only is the scenery beautiful, so are the people.

Everyone have a stupendous day! ..............Joyce :D

My clear preference for Seward touring are the Kenai Fjords boat tours. You can easily catch the Kenai Fjords 11:30pm trip and make the train. You could do your quilt shop run in the am via cab. You can be off Seward arriving ships very early, I'm usually off around 7am. I also have dropped off my luggage at the rail depot by 8am, the station master, just unlocks the shed for me. Also has stored my cooler at the desk one time so I would have it on the train, but Kenai Fjords also will store anything too.

Thank you, Budget Queen, for your input. I starting to discover that there is so much to do in Seward...I'm impressed! Isn't it great that we can store the luggage..now that's a real bonus.

I'll certainly consider the Kenai Fjords tour, it sounds great!

Archived