Pearl and the PC Cruise, another view

roger001

I would feel remise if I didn't write about the wonderful Pearl and the Panama Canal cruise we just finished. You will see nothing criticized in this review, only praise...and of course that is as we saw it...opinions being subjective...your mileage may vary.

We stayed overnight at the Extended Stay hotel in FLL. Clean, nice staff, no food, but short walk to eating and shopping. Had SAS shuttle reserved for 11 am pickup on Sunday. They called at 10:50 am ready for us outside. Did four other quick pickups and got us to the Miami cruise port by noon. Heavy terminal traffic, but moved quickly, well organized by traffic officers and porters. We dropped of Dawn passengers and then moved to Pearl area. Porter quickly helped unload van, very helpful, took our four bags, offered to tag our Pepsis and check them...we kept them though. Gave him $5. He thanked us nicely. Long line out of building and around corner. Thought it would be slow. Wrong! Had us moving and processed so fast I could hardly keep up. On Pearl, sitting on pool deck snacking, drinking, and people watching by 12:30. Rooms available right at 2 pm. We have only done balcony rooms in past but upgraded to mini suite this time since it was going to be 14 days. Room was great, spotless, everything excellent. As we usually do, quickly emptied refridge mini bar items into drawer and began using refridge for our stuff. Then quickly met our two wonderful, nicest guys in the world, room stewards who had already memorized our names. Ricardo Cristobal and Michael Feller, we love you. These two guys were representative of ALL the rest of the wonderful Pearl staff that we met during the rest of the cruise. My wife and I feel that if you can't walk through that ship with a continuous smile, then you won't be happy anywhere. Everyone was great. I could go on naming names in the restaurants, bars, etc. that we just loved. I filled out several STYLE cards.

Food. We ate in buffet more than usual. Was there food that I didn't care for? Well, yes. But was there plenty of food that I loved? Well, yes. Time to mention the NCL chilled soups...so good. Bread and pastries...doesn't get much better. My wife loves a scone afternoon break. Always available around 3 pm. Did MDR several times for evening dinner, once for lunch, and several times for breakfast. Always good. The level of Queen Mary alleged standards, no...but that's what the specialty restaurants are for. The service was always great but at a relaxed pace, the servers wonderful. For the duration of the cruise, we got to know so many of the staff, enjoyed talking about their lives, home, us, anything. You start with a genuine smile and you'll get one back every time. Did Cagney's once. Service and atmosphere was great, my prime rib one of the best cuts I've had in a long time. However, and I knew this would happen, I cook a better steak myself. Not their fault, just mine's better. I prefer Le Bristro. Plenty of snacking from the grill areas outside, breakfast in the Great Outdoors, ice cream soft serve machines, and two free expresso type coffee machines. There's something for everyone. You'll never be hungry.

The ship had the usual plenty of items being sold from drinks to jewelry. No pressure at all. Buy or don't buy, your choice. Shows...Oh What A Night Tribute (you can Google for their web site...be sure you include "tribute") is great, great, great. I love those guys and that show. The Beetles tribute...wow...great. Sharkbait...man those guys are funny. But hey, that ship puts me in a happy mood and those shows just pump me up even more. Drinks, had plenty, priced fairly I thought. (Wayan at Mambo's bar, loved you...will try to improve my drinks as you showed me how. Thanks for being such a great guy). Port stops, did two NCL tours, enjoyed them both. Explored the other ports on our own. The Panama Canal.....wow.....fantastic. However, it will only be as meaningful to you as it was to me, only if you read Path Between The Seas first. A super good book.

Then it was over. Weather was beautiful the entire trip. Was a two hour delay getting off the ship for us, an immigration staffing issue. Should have exited at 9:15, got off at 11:15. Warning to others that book an early flight, this can and does happen. Second time for us. Not NCL's fault. They want you off the ship as quickly as possible. Of course, got to the LAX zoo and security was backed up 1/2 mile. Finally got through all that...and discovered that our 2:45 pm flight was delay now until 7:40 pm. SWA did give us $400 in flight coupons however because of the delay. Got home at 3:45 am.

I'm not a cheer leader, but at the same time I don't spend my money on these cruises to then get on board and try to find what is wrong. Disneyland says they are "The happiest place on earth". I see a cruise ship that way. Once I'm on that ship, I'm a happy guy . It's a contagious attitude that will make even a sad NCL staff person join you in having a nice day.

I'm a guy that does tip extra usually. However, not once did I see an expectation of a tip from anyone.

Oh...the mini suite (deluxe balcony) was excellent for us and the cruise duration. The balcony was deeper, had a nice roof overhang to keep the sun off longer, and the extra storage in the room was nice. However, in spite of my careful research in room location, there was some noise from the Garden Cafe above us. It occurred when setting up or taking down of the meals and was the noise of the large metal carts rolling across the tiled floor. Once I found out what it was, we were ok with it since it was isolated to only those times. But if you are a light sleeper, it might bother you.

A great, great cruise, a great, great ship. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I enjoyed reading your PC cruise review. I've one quick question about

the best location to view the Panama Canal transit and surrounding

scenery from a balcony, which side in your opinion is best, Port or

Starboard side when cruising from Miami to LA.

my prime rib one of the best cuts I've had in a long time. However, and I knew this would happen, I cook a better steak myself. Not their fault, just mine's better.

LOL, yours must be superb!

Great review. Thanks for posting!

I enjoyed reading your PC cruise review. I've one quick question about

the best location to view the Panama Canal transit and surrounding

scenery from a balcony, which side in your opinion is best, Port or

Starboard side when cruising from Miami to LA.

We were starboard because the land on a east to west passage will generally be on that side. You cruise off shore Cuba for most of one day. However, reference the canal, you won't know till you get there. You can go into either the right or left side locks depending on what the ship ahead of you is using. In our case, we were assigned the right side lock each time which put the best action on the port side...but again, could have been the opposite just as easily. However, for the full day I covered the ship, front to back, different deck levels to be sure I saw it all. That's the best way to do it. The passage and first set of locks begin early morning and you don't exit the last locks until almost evening. And the rest of the passage between locks is at a no wake speed. There is an excellent canal narrator on board that day keeping it interesting as you pass through. Again, I really, really encourage reading Path Between the Seas before you go. You cannot imagine what went into the making of it, beginning in 1870 by the French and the US completing it in 1914. It is without a doubt one of mankinds greatest accomplishments. The Spinaker lounge is packed full with persons viewing also. You will probably want to do as I did to really see all aspects of the lock operations, mules up close, ships in the locks next to you and so forth. Reference port stops, again luck of the draw as to which side you will dock on. I think we got 2 out or 5, with Cabo being tendered. We had great weather, but being out on deck most of the time was not that bad. Do use sun screen, or as Capt "Lars" said in his very funny announcements, you'll get no sympathy from him if you come complaing about sunburn. As you can tell, I liked it. Any questions that occur, I'll tell it like I saw it.

Archived