Public beach that is right next to Hilton, questions.

6 of us

I was told there is a public beach just past the Hilton Beach that is great. Anyone know the name of it?

If we decide to just go to the Hilton, how do I walk there? I read that it is an easy walk, but would love directions. Still a fairly new cruiser :D. My 1st time to Nassau, we just followed the crowds to the taxi & to Cabbage Beach - too many salesman for my taste :D. Would love a more relaxing atmosphere.

THank you much!

I was told there is a public beach just past the Hilton Beach that is great. Anyone know the name of it?

If we decide to just go to the Hilton, how do I walk there? I read that it is an easy walk, but would love directions. Still a fairly new cruiser :D. My 1st time to Nassau, we just followed the crowds to the taxi & to Cabbage Beach - too many salesman for my taste :D. Would love a more relaxing atmosphere.

THank you much!

When come into the harbour, you can't help but see the hilton.. .It's a beautiful majestic hotel right in the mouth of the harbour.. so you will have no trouble finding it.

Go out the gate.. make a right.. walk along the wharf and around the front to the entrance. .. to get to junkanoo beach.. just keep walking around the front of the hotel past the parking lot to the beach.

THank you very much!! I appreciate all the help. I was debating on doing a Hilton day pass but I just noticed that our ship doesn't dock until noon - I didn't realize we would only have the afternoon - hmmm

Is Junkaroo in Freeport, Nassau or both?

I was planning on goin on our Freeport day but sounds like you guys are talking about nassau:confused:

Nassau-scubagirl- tell me about this beach-you helped me decide on Blue Lagoon last time we were down there, unfortunately it was too cold to enjoy- we just need an inexpensive beach for the day-is this beach safe? Thanks

Is Junkaroo in Freeport, Nassau or both?

I was planning on goin on our Freeport day but sounds like you guys are talking about nassau:confused:

Junkaroo is a public beach in Nassau. It is just west of the Hilton hotel and has some nice sandy areas with palm trees. Being 'public' I would advise to bring your own towels, but there are a couple hotels across the street if you want to use their facilities. Sometimes you will find a snack shack along the beach, but for 'food' I would suggest going to one of the hotels.

If you have seen the map at the end of the following 'Walking Tour of Nassau', http://www.*****.com/nassau.html ,you can have a peek at Junkaroo (aka Espando Beach) by following the green line going west. It also has some pictures of the beach.

Reviews of the Quality Inn are not too favorable, so you might go further west to the Palm, for example, or go back to the Hilton for refreshments.

WE aren't arriving in Nassau until noon, by the time we all work our way off the boat I imagine it would be close to 1:00 - I am not sure the best way to go here for the time & the money. That is also the 2nd day which should be the formal dinner night, so we have to get back to the ship in time to get ready. hmmm

You should do a bit of checking about the beach (Junkanoo). There are comments both for and against going there. If you are a family with little kids you might want to seek out a hotel that has guards (same for single females) as it can get a bit different if some male locals show up. Comments here range from trying to sell drugs, yelling at women, screaming at each other, etc. PLUS the public restrooms may or may not be open. Just commenting.

You should do a bit of checking about the beach (Junkanoo). There are comments both for and against going there. If you are a family with little kids you might want to seek out a hotel that has guards (same for single females) as it can get a bit different if some male locals show up. Comments here range from trying to sell drugs, yelling at women, screaming at each other, etc. PLUS the public restrooms may or may not be open. Just commenting.

Although all this has been true in the past, the gov't has certainly cleaned up there act and gotten this beach in great shape. With the exception of having no lifeguards on duty, this beach is a great alternative to the high prices tours and day passes.

There are now colorful concession stands, souveneirs, and clean restrooms.. (plus it's across from the police station).

I still prefew the hotel beaches for a full day .. but junkanoo is great for a family tht doesn't want to spend the time or money on a day pass..

Not sure what will happen in the off season, but for the summer months, this is a decent choice.

Although all this has been true in the past, the gov't has certainly cleaned up there act and gotten this beach in great shape. With the exception of having no lifeguards on duty, this beach is a great alternative to the high prices tours and day passes.

There are now colorful concession stands, souveneirs, and clean restrooms.. (plus it's across from the police station).

I still prefew the hotel beaches for a full day .. but junkanoo is great for a family tht doesn't want to spend the time or money on a day pass..

Not sure what will happen in the off season, but for the summer months, this is a decent choice.

That is great to know... I guess this has happened in the last year or so? It should be a great place to go now. I always wondered why the gov't had not done this in the past as it would give the locals a place to earn money without having to deal with a resort. Thanks again for the updated info!

Bob

We were just at Junkanoo beach this past week and we loved it! You do have to bring your own towels, but there are chairs for rent (4 for $15 when we were there), nice food at the shacks and really friendly locals. One person approached us about hair braiding and that was it for the day. I don't think there were 100 there the whole day! For the first hour or so, we were the only 4 people in the water and there were probably 20 people on the beach. Jyah, the owner of one of the shacks, told us all about the government cleaning up and renaming the beach. He really takes a lot of pride in the beach! When we got there he was raking it! He'll answer all your questions and give you some great info, too.

We were just at Junkanoo beach this past week and we loved it! You do have to bring your own towels, but there are chairs for rent (4 for $15 when we were there), nice food at the shacks and really friendly locals. One person approached us about hair braiding and that was it for the day. I don't think there were 100 there the whole day! For the first hour or so, we were the only 4 people in the water and there were probably 20 people on the beach. Jyah, the owner of one of the shacks, told us all about the government cleaning up and renaming the beach. He really takes a lot of pride in the beach! When we got there he was raking it! He'll answer all your questions and give you some great info, too.

Do they also rent umbrellas? Also do they have water sports available such as parasailing, jet skis, etc.? How much is the day pass for the Hilton? Thanks for any responses.

Do they also rent umbrellas? Also do they have water sports available such as parasailing, jet skis, etc.? How much is the day pass for the Hilton? Thanks for any responses.

Not sure about umbrellas, and I dont think they have water sports at this location. Since it's technically in the inner harbor, jet ski's are not allowed in the harbour.

Day passes to the hilton are $55 and include a $30 food voucher.. No Jetskis' parasailing there either.. it's a quiet beach.. we like it that way.

when is the OFF season?...we were there in Jan 2010 and it was a place that i wouldnt return to, but if they have "cleaned" it up, would consider; but will be there on 4 Dec.

when is the OFF season?...we were there in Jan 2010 and it was a place that i wouldnt return to, but if they have "cleaned" it up, would consider; but will be there on 4 Dec.

January is the Off, Off season. After the 1st week of Jan.. noone is in town.

They have sinced clean it up.

Archived