May 3rd 2011 first ship of season in Stockholm

Well, the season has officially started here in Stockholm with the arrival of the MSC Orchestra. I woke up and it was SNOWING!!!! Shocking! This has been the warmest April I can remember and to see snow in May is practically unheard of.

Anyway, the snow did not stick and it turned to rain in the later morning, all in all a damp start to 2011.

Can only get better folks. Welcome to Stockholm.

Al

Well, the season has officially started here in Stockholm with the arrival of the MSC Orchestra. I woke up and it was SNOWING!!!! Shocking! This has been the warmest April I can remember and to see snow in May is practically unheard of.

Anyway, the snow did not stick and it turned to rain in the later morning, all in all a damp start to 2011.

Can only get better folks. Welcome to Stockholm.

Al

Al,

Snow!! We had snow here in Colorado (just a light dusting) last week. I am SO looking forward to WARM weather!!

I have been reading your posts on CC. The info you have provided on Stockholm has been invaluable to me.

Assuming that you have been there, could you tell me a little bit about the Royal Armoury? The info on the website is rather scanty. Is there quite a lot to see at the Armoury? We love history ... would you recommend a visit to the Armoury?

Thanks so much!

jill

Al,

Snow!! We had snow here in Colorado (just a light dusting) last week. I am SO looking forward to WARM weather!!

I have been reading your posts on CC. The info you have provided on Stockholm has been invaluable to me.

Assuming that you have been there, could you tell me a little bit about the Royal Armoury? The info on the website is rather scanty. Is there quite a lot to see at the Armoury? We love history ... would you recommend a visit to the Armoury?

Thanks so much!

jill

Hi Jill,

It has been several years since I visited the Royal Armoury (Livrustkammaren), but yes, I recommend it for history buffs. There is a section that displays all the royal carriages through the ages, some famous uniforms and other military objects. This is also where they keep the Swedish Crown Jewels, I believe that is a separate ticket however.

Enjoy your stay.

Al

We visited the Royal Armoury last July during our Baltic Cruise. Our Son-in-law is from Sweden (came to NYC as an adult) and we've been fortunate to have visted Stockholm a few times so we were looking for something "different" to see. My DH is an historian so we went to the Armoury mainly for him but I found it fabulous! Besides the expected articles of war there's also many displays of clothing and household items from the Royal family - gave a fabulous idea of their lives through the times. When we were there they also had a special exhibit of Wedding gowns through the times - don't know if its still there - that was during the Swedish Wedding frenzy!!

And you're correct about the web site - not very much info on it. There's also another museum - that was SO interesting - The Museum of Medieval Stockholm. It's just around the corner from the Armoury - entrance is on Norrbro opposite the Parliment building - down the steps and the door is on the "water level". It's built around the old city wall that was discovered when they were building the Parliment building. We found very, very little on the web about it and our son-in-law had never hear of it. It'd be fabulous for children but we also enjoyed the exhibits and learned a lot about the city. (I think we almost went just to see if we could find it!! And I seem to remember it was free!!)

We had plenty of time to see both museums, have a slow lunch in Galma Stan and walk around there for a bit before talking a slow walk back to the ship.

And I don't know where you're docking, but if its in the city DO NOT miss sailing into Stockholm, going through the archipelago!! You sail through thousands of island, large & small, for about 3/4 hours! I was worth the price of the balcony just for that morning!!!!

Whatever you do - have a great cruise!!!

Jill ~ I don't know if you're going to Helsinki, but if you are and enjoy history check out Suomenlinna Island. There's a great military museum there that my DH really enjoyed - I even liked the exhibits!! They also have a u-boat-like submarine (he said it was a smaller type) that you can go into - it is VERY small!! The fort is main part of the island.

The island itseld is very nice and a lot of Finnish families head there for a "day in the sun" - a very short ferry ride from the outdoor market area. We had a nice lunch on the island in a pub-type place (sounds like all we do is eat!!)

If you're interested, post here for more info.

Al,

Thank you so much. So, the Armoury and the Crown Jewels (you are correct about a separate fee) are definitely on our must see list.

FotoPeg,

Thanks for the info on the medieval Stockholm museum. I have never heard of it! I'm gonna check-out the web regarding this museum (and look-up the location on google earth :rolleyes: ). I did notice a Museum of Antiquities but no medieval museum.

We are going to Helsinki and Suomenlinna Island is definitely on our agenda.

The only issue I have with cruises is that one doesn't have time to see very much of what each port has to offer. When we travel independently, we like to immerse ourselves in the history of the area (spent 6 weeks in Italy so that we could see most of what we really wanted to see ... AND will need to return).

This will be our first trip to Stockholm. Guess we will need to return and spend a few days so that we can see some of the other sights that we won't be able to accomodate on this trip. Would absolutely love to see Drottningholm Palace (especially the opera house), Skeppsholmen, Skansen. and on and on. At least we will get a small taste of what Stockholm has to offer. :)

Again, thanks!

jill

Jill ~ if this is your first trip to Stockholm then check out the Vasa Museum on line - it's a fascinating story and real history!

Depending on where you dock in Stockholm and time in port, if you get out early, you could see the Vassa and Royal Armoury and the Medieval Museum if you want a quick lunch.

I totally agree with you about the down-side of cruises - just not enough time in ports. Stockholm/Sweden is fantastic - and we've been SO spolied to experience the country in such a personal way with PG and his family. If you ever do a Swedish land trip, try to plan it around the Mid-Summer celebrations - usually the end of June - the 25th this year. It's a fabulous time in all of Sweden - community celebrations all over!

But spending 6 weeks in Italy sounds wonderful!!!

Have a GREAT trip!!

Al,

Thank you so much. So, the Armoury and the Crown Jewels (you are correct about a separate fee) are definitely on our must see list.

I recommend both of them. The armory also includes a chariot hall for the royal chariots.

Thanks for the info on the medieval Stockholm museum. I have never heard of it! I'm gonna check-out the web regarding this museum (and look-up the location on google earth :rolleyes: ).

Its located on the small island (Helgeandsholmen) north of the palace and next to the parlament. if I remember correctly there are steps leading down from Norrbro bridge to the museum.

Interesting museum but felt the dark middle age feeling and the skeletons was just a bit too morbid for my taste. On the other hand some people might find the armory that shows cloths with bloodstains from the day the king was killed to be morbid. Guess its up to one's taste and historical interests.

I recommend both of them. The armory also includes a chariot hall for the royal chariots.

Its located on the small island (Helgeandsholmen) north of the palace and next to the parlament. if I remember correctly there are steps leading down from Norrbro bridge to the museum.

Interesting museum but felt the dark middle age feeling and the skeletons was just a bit too morbid for my taste. On the other hand some people might find the armory that shows cloths with bloodstains from the day the king was killed to be morbid. Guess its up to one's taste and historical interests.

You are correct Ultima, there are steps leading down to the museum from the bridge.

For myself, I was kind of disappointed in the the museum. Sure, they have exposed a portion of the original city wall but the rest for the most part seemed like re-creations of life in those times. I thought it was geared more to school kids really. Just my opinion.

Al

Archived