showers & harsh water?

P&DIn DE

icon_smile.gif Hello,

This being our first cruise, I was wondering if the water in the showers is really as bad as i keep reading about on some of these boards? one person wrote about her hair being so damaged, i was wondering if i should pack some hi powered conditioner? thanks for any thoughts on this!!

Pam & David

counting the days! Grandeur

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=FFA000&cdt=2004;7;18;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

I have only cruised Carnival and I did not find the water to be harsh at all. My hair was not damaged by the ships water. I always use a regular conditioner and do the same while cruising. The salt water pools, salty sea air and the sun do damage hair though.

I wouldn't way the water was harsh, only fair icon_smile.gif Actually, I use city water without a softner system, and didn't find it any worse that what I have at home. I agree that the sun and sea are more likely to be culprits of hair damage.

I have never had any problem with the water in the showers. The poster you read about may have swam in salt water, chlorinated water, or depended on the shampoo provided by the cruise line. She may possibly have let salt or chlorinated water dry into her hair, both would make your hair feel very damaged. Remember, you will probably expose your hair to sun and wind on a cruise, quite a bit of dry feeling from that, too. Take your own shampoo, conditioner and perhaps even body wash for the best results.

Kathy

As all the water on the ship is made on board from the sea, it should give you no problems.

Bill D

RCCL Song of Norway 7/79?

CCL ? 12/84

RCCL Viking Serenade 7/01

RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas 12/01

RCCL Sovereign of the Seas 5/02

RCCL Monarch of the Seas 7/02

RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas 12/02

Princess Grand Princess 6/03

RCCL Voyager of the Seas 12/03

RCCL Vision of the Seas 3/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;5;30;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 Rhapsody of the Seas 5/30/2004

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;12;20;20;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 Empress of the Seas 12/20/2004

icon_smile.gif hello everyone,

Thanks for all the imput on my question! I was just going to pack my regular shampoo & conditioner that i like to use at home.

Although, I am so excited about my trip, I would wash my hair in the ocean if I had to (haha!)

Any one sailed on The Grandeur of the Seas (royal caribbean) ?

Pam & David

counting the days! Grandeur

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=FFA000&cdt=2004;7;18;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Hi...never been on Grandeur but have been on three RCCL ships, all of which have been just wonderful. I'm a real fan of RCCL, think you get good value for your money and the ship are quite nice. Just got back from a short junket on Sovereign of the Seas and even though this ship is getting old and is scheduled for a major refit in November I was still quite pleased with the overall condition of the ship. Plus, for some reason, the food and service seemed to be even better than usual...you should have a wonderful time and I would not worry about the shower water at all - take your own shampoo (I took some Aveda with me) if you think you might not like the shampoo/conditioner the line provides in the shower (wall mounted dispenser). Hope you turn into a cruise freak like me...have fun!!!

Jay Plotts

Cunard Franconia

Chandris Britanis

Sheraton Nile Cruises Aton

Triton 9-96

Nordic Empress 2-97

Nordic Empress 2-98

Majesty of the Seas 12-98

Nordic Empress 2-00

Olympic Voyager 2-01

Galaxy 2-02

Majesty of the Seas 6-03

Sovereign of the Seas 4-04

Queen Mary 2 9-04

• 1 month later...

I found something wonderful a few years ago on a ship. Most ships have Steiner salons on board. Buy their after sun shampoo. It is the best. It completely takes all chlorine and salt out of your hair and leaves it in better shape then when you started.

Have fun:D

I agree with the others here: the water is fine, but the sun, the wind, and the salt water take a toll on your hair. We were given combination shampoo/conditioner, which just didn't do the trick for our hair (3 family members are girls with long, straight hair). I'd suggest bringing your own good-quality conditioner.

Here's another unrelated hint: Instead of buying small travel-sized bottles, I put aside my full-sized stuff from home when there's about a week's worth of product remaining. It's cheaper than buying the little bottles, and it takes up more space in the bags -- but at the end of the cruise I throw away those big bottles, and I have space left in my suitcase for souveniers!

Speaking of bringing shampoo... I saw a really helpful hint on TV the other night. Squeezing the air out of bottles (shampoo, conditioner, etc.) *before* you put the lid on will help prevent them from leaking on airplanes due to changes in pressure. I haven't tried it yet, but I will-- it couldn't hurt!

Archived