Cell phones?

KEB

I am sure this topic has been addressed but my search feature is not working.

Is there cell phone reception on the ship or any of the ports of call?

We are going to the West Caribbean.

Thanks icon_smile.gif

It won't work when you're at sea, since it needs Cell towers to send and receive signals.

It may work in some ports, it depends on which ports you're visiting, and which carrier you use.

It will probably be very expensive $2-3/minute or more, so be prepared.

Who would know best? Your cell carrier. Call them. Call them twice. Call them a third time. You're likely to get different answers each time, so take "best two out of three", then allow for the info still to be wrong.

Call your carrier as stated however in some ports cell phones will work just as at home with no roaming charges. I have Verizon and we were not charged anything extra in St. Thomas and Puerto Rico. I am not sure about Nassau. Our calls were treated as regular Long Distance calls.

Don

I've seen conflicting reports here about roaming charges in St. Thomas.

US Territories are sometimes included in regular packages, sometimes not, which also explains why Puerto Rico works for many (all?) callers.

With Verizon my phone has worked in almost every port I've visited in Alaska, the U.S., Mexico and the Caribbean. There may be roaming charges, but it is still less than the cost of a call to/from the ship. I think it's preferable to have a tri-mode phone that includes analog service as well as digital - not all locations have digital service. Also, a couple of times I've had to reset my phone to force it to search for an alternate signal - most phone menus have an option for "system" or something similar which allows you to restrict it only to your "home" system or to search for any signal it can find.

There are never enough days at sea!

Archived